Masks back at DL starting July 30

We are here now, just got done with our 3rd park day today and I'm kicking myself for not pushing our trip back a few days. While there are a lot of people already wearing masks, there are also a lot of people not wearing masks and I would have been most comfortable with everyone masked. Our last day will have a mask requirement, but I wish they did this last week.

I won't get onto the subject of whether this is the right move, but I am sad to lose my ability to communicate with cast members at registers or my family in some lines. I have difficult time with my hearing, and Disney shops and some lines are particularly loud and difficult when I can't see mouths. Genuinely bummed after a great trip without masks only a few weeks ago and several trips scheduled this year. I hope this wave subsides quickly like everywhere else it has hit.

We are here now and 90% of the cast are masked and have been since we arrived on July 26, so not sure that would have been different for you anyway. Some are even double masked (Disney mask + other mask underneath). Even the front desk people at our resort are masked and we are not staying on Disney property, so this requirement doesn't even affect them.

We're heading to Cali on Saturday, we have an unvaxxed kid, so we were already planning to wear a mask indoors where required just so the kid wasn't wearing it alone. However, the wearing at attractions part concerns me. I'm really hoping it's indoor attractions only.

🤞

Disney will require face masks but will they restrict the number of people entering the parks?
They may pause increasing capacity, which they've slightly increased every week, but they're not going to pull reservations from anyone that currently has one. And while I get the sentiment, it's definitely not an action that's consistent with reopening.

We are here now and 90% of the cast are masked and have been since we arrived on July 26, so not sure that would have been different for you anyway. Some are even double masked (Disney mask + other mask underneath). Even the front desk people at our resort are masked and we are not staying on Disney property, so this requirement doesn't even affect them.

My recollection from several weeks ago, was that I had many interactions with unmasked cast members. The only time they were wearing masks was when working close to other cast members (which admittedly is frequent). That may have changed through personal choice as cases were rising these past few weeks.

In any case, it also means the family members who I want to talk to will be masked up for most of the day, since most of the day is spent in lines.

But, we will follow the rules and make the best of it.

Last edited:

Can someone tell my why you have to wear a mask on a ride like autopia when it is outside?

My recollection from several weeks ago, was that I had many interactions with unmasked cast members. The only time they were wearing masks was when working close to other cast members (which admittedly is frequent). That may have changed through personal choice as cases were rising these past few weeks.

In any case, it also means the family members who I want to talk to will be masked up for most of the day, since most if the day is spent in lines.

I know it won't help you with CMs but there are masks around with a 'cut out' in the mouth area that is covered by clear plastic. They apparently do some kind of stitching or sealing in some way so the mask's safety isn't compromised. Maybe that will help with your family?

Sorry I don't have a link. I've seen some being worn and googled out of curiosity but didn't save any links.

Best of luck to you and I hope you have a wonderful time.

That definitely was not the case when we went a month ago. I would say less than half were of the cast members were wearing them outside. At the time they were still required to wear them indoors.

I work for a government agency, tasked with tracking COVID regulations/communications regarding compliance since the outbreak. I think mask mandates for indoors will be the extent in the near future. I don't think we will get back to complete shutdowns, or capacity limitations for that matter. After the mask mandate, I can see some level of vaccine compliance being required, or weekly COVID testing. That being said, I have taken two days off since the pandemic, really crossing my fingers that my predictions are true and that nothing messes up my DL trip in the Fall!

I am really emotional about this right now. I am not saying it is right or wrong, only that I am having feelings!! I so wanted us to be moving forward OUT of this. I am an essential worker, as is ALL of my family and we are exhausted by this last 16 months. I wanted Disneyland without masks so much for so many reasons. Will I happily wear one to be back? Yep!! Will I hate it, Yep!! Will I look forward to a time I won’t have to ? Yep!

In any case, it also means the family members who I want to talk to will be masked up for most of the day, since most if the day is spent in lines.

Can you try masks like these ? https://www.etsy.com/listing/829047...i_VcJBX2zprZVx4LKZoNzGnj5L5Qc59BoC2ckQAvD_BwE

Can someone tell my why you have to wear a mask on a ride like autopia when it is outside?

Here is the official statement:
“We are adapting our health and safety guidelines based on guidance from health and government officials, and will require Cast Members and Guests ages 2 and up, to wear face coverings in all indoor locations at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort beginning Friday, July 30, regardless of vaccination status. At Walt Disney World Resort, this includes upon entering and throughout all attractions and in enclosed transportation vehicles, including shuttles, buses, monorails and at Disney Skyliner.”

It looks like the “all attractions” language is only for WDW. There doesn’t appear to be a mandatory mask mandate for outdoor DLR attractions.

I won't get onto the subject of whether this is the right move, but I am sad to lose my ability to communicate with cast members at registers or my family in some lines. I have difficult time with my hearing, and Disney shops and some lines are particularly loud and difficult when I can't see mouths. Genuinely bummed after a great trip without masks only a few weeks ago and several trips scheduled this year. I hope this wave subsides quickly like everywhere else it has hit.
Someone on the DISabilities board mentioned an app for times like this. For them it was anxiety ridden inability to speak. But it would work perfect to have the cast member text you in your app so you understand.

For us Disneyland has always been special because when stepping into the Disneyland “bubble” we could truly be taken away from all the regular world problems that occupy our minds each day.

Whether requiring masks is right or wrong isn’t my issue, it’s that going to Disneyland now takes me out of the “bubble” experience.

Looking around and seeing hundreds of people in masks is a reminder of all the problems going on right now, and is definitely not the “bubble” experience we enjoy so much.

And to pay full price for this, along with no Fastpass/Maxpass, EHM, etc. makes it a sad but easy choice to not go.

For those still going, I wish a great time to all, and we’ll be back when things are in a better place.

I'm very happy we got our Disneyland fix earlier this month with our GCH stay and 5 park days. This news is very discouraging on many levels.

I had already told my kids we would be taking a break from Disneyland until the fall, but I was planning to take them a few times in September using the CA resident tickets before those expire. Just waiting now to see what the extent of mask requirements actually will be in practice. Indoors/indoor rides, we can handle that. But none of us can tolerate wearing them outdoors in this heat. It has been uncharacteristically humid these last few weeks in So Cal (probably due to the monsoons in the desert southwest). Heat plus humidity plus masks is a NO GO for my younger son due to sensory sensitivities. So, I'm hoping Disney clarifies whether masks will be required in outdoor lines/attractions, as their wording on the policy is unclear.

I'm very happy we got our Disneyland fix earlier this month with our GCH stay and 5 park days. This news is very discouraging on many levels.

I had already told my kids we would be taking a break from Disneyland until the fall, but I was planning to take them a few times in September using the CA resident tickets before those expire. Just waiting now to see what the extent of mask requirements actually will be in practice. Indoors/indoor rides, we can handle that. But none of us can tolerate wearing them outdoors in this heat. It has been uncharacteristically humid these last few weeks in So Cal (probably due to the monsoons in the desert southwest). Heat plus humidity plus masks is a NO GO for my younger son due to sensory sensitivities. So, I'm hoping Disney clarifies whether masks will be required in outdoor lines/attractions, as their wording on the policy is unclear.

I believe it now states it's on all the rides indoors or outdoors and in the queues. You can basically wander Main St and other common areas maskless and that's it. Very much regretting the 900 we spent for Bash tickets as I don't think those are going to be refunded if we cancel our trip. Vaccination is a joke in that case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter