• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Masks?

I was just watching that. I just can't believe the level of self entitlement to think she shouldn't have to, to film her "awful treatment", and expect to get sympathy from others about it. I can't stand how people video tape everything now, looking for their 5 minutes of fame. Gawd, I hate social media. If I didn't have to troll it for work, I would rarely go on.

Curious for those in the UK, what are the current government set rules for masks? Looking through photos from this past weekend at things open, it seems almost no one has one. I realize most are eating or drinking but if this article has any legitimacy it seems to show that a lot of young were out and masks were not needed. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-drinkers-return-pubs-night-bar-closures.html
not sure you'll get an answer that is any different than what you're able to find using Google from this thread. This is the Canadian forum and we're discussing what's going on with masks within our cities, provinces and country as a whole.
in general though? I think every part of the world is witnessing the either straight up refusal to wear masks or people just not wearing them properly to varying degrees. My city has been under mandatory mask wearing orders for close to a month now and yesterday I watched a very insistent woman trying to enter a store without one because she had (this will only make sense to those in my area) driven all the way from brampton and didn't have one but was yelling that because she doesn't actually live here she shouldn't be forced to wear a mask 🤦‍♀️ when she finally gave up and headed back to her car several people in line clapped.

Ottawa city council is voting on making mask madatory indoors on July 15th. Over a week away! Why are they taking so long? I'm sure they have a wonderful reason.

It is kind of amusing to me, I mean did people argue this much when seatbelts were made mandatory? Or car seats? The lady in the article Damo posted tweeted a follow up that she wouldn't wear it to "protect her health". What? I don't get it. Yeah they get hot, but how is that a detriment to your health? Any way. I hope more places make them mandatory, and wonder how long this will be the case.

And I think I'd better get a few more, I have 3 I use, kiddo has more since he inherited a few my parents had bought that were too small for anyone else. I'd order from Old Navy but the delivery times are unreliable. I guess I'll have to sew a few more for myself. I did see some disposable ones at Shoppers by the cash, I will probably get some of those at some point, but prefer the washable ones just because I prefer not to use disposable things so much.

I have just 3 masks (so far). I have a unique way that I wash them though. Rather than tossing them in the washing machine I have an old glass jar with a lid. I leave the jar on the counter next to the sink and a small jar of laundry detergent. I put the mask in the jar add some laundry detergent, put the lid on tight, shake, shake, shake. Per @Starwind let sit for 30 minutes in soapy water.

Put water in the kettle, boil the water. Rinse the soap out of the mask, rinse the jar. Put mask back in jar add boiling water. Let it sit for 10-15min. Roll the mask in a towel to remove excess water and hang to dry.

Soap gets rid of Covid and other nasties. Boiling water sterilizes the mask. These days the masks dry in a couple of hours.

Last edited:
Ottawa city council is voting on making mask madatory indoors on July 15th. Over a week away! Why are they taking so long? I'm sure they have a wonderful reason.

I believe it has to do with when Council is sitting and the administrative requirements of passing a new ByLaw. It will be brought up in a motion in Council on July 15.

According to media reporting, Ottawa Public Health is expected to come out with a statement today requiring them in the interim.

See https://www.janharder.ca/post/july-...e-of-cloth-masks-in-many-indoor-public-spaces

SW

It is kind of amusing to me, I mean did people argue this much when seatbelts were made mandatory? Or car seats? The lady in the article Damo posted tweeted a follow up that she wouldn't wear it to "protect her health". What? I don't get it. Yeah they get hot, but how is that a detriment to your health? Any way. I hope more places make them mandatory, and wonder how long this will be the case.

And I think I'd better get a few more, I have 3 I use, kiddo has more since he inherited a few my parents had bought that were too small for anyone else. I'd order from Old Navy but the delivery times are unreliable. I guess I'll have to sew a few more for myself. I did see some disposable ones at Shoppers by the cash, I will probably get some of those at some point, but prefer the washable ones just because I prefer not to use disposable things so much.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't this much arguing or more about seatbelts and car seats.

As a graduate student in the late 90's, I was driving myself and a few friends somewhere for some school related event. They started out seatbelted but then undid them. I asked them to put them back on and they refused. I safely pulled to the side of the highway and would not budge until they re-seatbelted. They ended up having a fiteen minute argument with me about why they didn;t need to seatbelt, it was perfectly fine without them etc.. Granted the state we were in did not require adults in the rear to use seatbelts. However, my car, me driver, my rules. They eventually gave up, seatbelted and we were on our way. We never had that argument again -- they new my car, they worse seatbelts. So yes, people
still argued then.

As for the not wearing a mask to "protect her health", there are whole lines of both misinformation and conspiracy theories that include masks being harmful to one's health*. Some people have bought into the idea. (*I am not talking about situations where people have legitimate medical issues and thus have difficulty or should not be wearing a mask)

For disposable masks, some suggestions:

Costco [online and in store] - they have the best price I have seen

Giant Tiger - package of 20 for $19.99 - online and in store

Starkmans (health care supply store in Toronto) - online: https://starkmans.com/high-demand-products.html

Well.ca - online; they have a variety of both disposable and reusable including adult and kid sizes

I have just 3 masks (so far). I have a unique way that I wash them though. Rather than tossing them in the washing machine I have an old glass jar with a lid. I leave the jar on the counter next to the sink and a small jar of laundry detergent. I put the mask in the jar as some laundry detergent, put the lid on tight, shake, shake, shake.

Put water in the kettle, boil the water. Rinse the soap out of the mask, rinse the jar. Put mask back in jar add boiling water. Let it sit for 10-15min. Roll the mask in a towel to remove excess water and hang to dry.

Soap gets rid of Covid and other nasties. Boiling water sterilizes the mask. These days the masks dry in a couple of hours.

FYI, the suggestions I have seen for hand-washing masks say to soak in soapy water for 30 minutes.

For some examples see (these are just two)

https://govextra.gov.il/ministry-of-health/corona/corona-virus-en/corona-masks-en/
https://blog.shopvida.com/2020/04/13/how-to-wash-reusable-protective-masks/

Truth be told mine usually end up in the soap for about 30 minutes because when the kettle is boiling I put the jar down and walk away. Then when I walk back into the kitchen sometime later I have to reboil the kettle and finish up.

I'll change my description above to include 30 min.

I just wash my fabric masks by hand. We have 2 each, plus several extras that I keep in the car in case someone forgot theirs. We also don’t go out many places though.

All I do is when I get home I go to the bathroom and and wash it using hand soap. I use warm water and lather it up really well and kind of scrub it. Then rinse. I then just hang it up to dry. So I always have a clean one. I figure if it’s good enough to wash my hands it should be good enough to wash the mask.

We also have a UV sanitizer that we have for my husbands CPAP and you can sanitize anything that will fit in the drawer. So my husband will sometimes put his or my sons masks in there and sanitize them that that way. After a few minutes they are done. But I find it gives the masks a weird smell so I don’t use it.

The "Karen" at the hospital calls herself a "truther". Unlikely that people will be able to reason with her. We should not give her a platform to voice her terrible takes.

I love how these people think their beliefs are the “truth” but won’t even consider any real information. It must suck living your life thinking everyone is lying to you about everything. 🙄

Our region isn’t making masks mandatory in indoor public spaces but instead is only “strongly encouraging” masks be worn. They say it’s because “our numbers are much lower than neighbouring regions such as Peel and Toronto that are deemed hotspots”. So they will be having a council meeting to discuss this further, since many residents here are asking that masks be made mandatory. Honestly, what is there to discuss when the decision should be an obvious one.

FYI, the suggestions I have seen for hand-washing masks say to soak in soapy water for 30 minutes.

For some examples see (these are just two)

https://govextra.gov.il/ministry-of-health/corona/corona-virus-en/corona-masks-en/
https://blog.shopvida.com/2020/04/13/how-to-wash-reusable-protective-masks/

I didn’t realize we should be soaking them for 30 mins. Maybe I will start using the UV to sanitize them first and then wash them so they don’t have the smell from the UV.

BTW I wouldn’t recommend buying a UV sanitizer just for masks. They cost at least $300. We had one already because my husband has a CPAP and he uses it to sanitize his CPAP mask everyday.

I just wash my fabric masks by hand. We have 2 each, plus several extras that I keep in the car in case someone forgot theirs. We also don’t go out many places though.

All I do is when I get home I go to the bathroom and and wash it using hand soap. I use warm water and lather it up really well and kind of scrub it. Then rinse. I then just hang it up to dry. So I always have a clean one. I figure if it’s good enough to wash my hands it should be good enough to wash the mask.
I do the same thing but I have lots and lots of masks. I just soak them in the bathroom sink with hand soap then when I remember I come back and rinse out the soap then soak them again in clean hot water, rinse clean and lay flat on a sweater drying rack and good to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter