• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Masks?

Well I am glad it happened quicker than I expected!
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/eastern-ontario-mandatory-masks-1.5639082
Nice to see the public health units united in this.
So glad to hear that. I was behind two women in line at Bath and Body Works today and I was really surprised that they didn't pop a mask on when we got to the door to go inside. Tomorrow they will have to do that or no service.

Just back from another store. Store manager was explaining to the cashier that they would need to wear masks tomorrow. I commented that they aren't so bad, you get used to them. She commented that she couldn't wear on because she has bronchitis. Ok I get that. As I was exiting the store I looked to my left and there she was having a cigarette. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ottawa city council is voting on making mask madatory indoors on July 15th. Over a week away! Why are they taking so long? I'm sure they have a wonderful reason.

It is kind of amusing to me, I mean did people argue this much when seatbelts were made mandatory? Or car seats? The lady in the article Damo posted tweeted a follow up that she wouldn't wear it to "protect her health". What? I don't get it. Yeah they get hot, but how is that a detriment to your health? Any way. I hope more places make them mandatory, and wonder how long this will be the case.

And I think I'd better get a few more, I have 3 I use, kiddo has more since he inherited a few my parents had bought that were too small for anyone else. I'd order from Old Navy but the delivery times are unreliable. I guess I'll have to sew a few more for myself. I did see some disposable ones at Shoppers by the cash, I will probably get some of those at some point, but prefer the washable ones just because I prefer not to use disposable things so much.

If you're in Ottawa there are tons of people selling them on Facebook. i just got 12 for $5 each in Nepean. I can't vouch for the quality yet however

I was just in my local mall (had to pick up some shoes I ordered shipped to Soft Moc in March) and I would say that 90% of the people in the mall (which was not crowded) were wearing masks. Rather than say anything about those that were not wearing anything, I will say that I'm pleased that the large majority were trying to stay safe.

I was just in my local mall (had to pick up some shoes I ordered shipped to Soft Moc in March) and I would say that 90% of the people in the mall (which was not crowded) were wearing masks. Rather than say anything about those that were not wearing anything, I will say that I'm pleased that the large majority were trying to stay safe.

Nice. Where we are in NB, I would easily say 75% of people are NOT wearing masks in stores. Heck, even some of the staff in hospitals and doctors offices aren't wearing them. I think part of the problem here is that our case numbers are so low, that people just don't feel there's a risk.

did people argue this much when seatbelts were made mandatory?
I absolutely support your position and support wearing masks.

But yes, many did protest and refuse to wear seatbelts in Ontario when they were mandated. My grandfather did. He had never worn a seatbelt for most of his adult life, was an experienced and skilled driver of cars and trucks, and wouldn't comply. He eventually did wear one just as most eventually put it on. It took years. It is difficult for many to accept physical and visual cues of social change. It signals that life has changed and is no longer normal.

Waterloo Region just voted to mandate masks indoors starting July 13th. Thankfully!

I've had to argue with a couple of patients about the necessity before they enter my office (I'm a chiropractor - I'm in their face and they are in mine!). Thankfully they have all agreed (even if reluctantly) and I haven't had to turn anyone away (I chose to require them in my office from the time I was allowed to reopen at the end of May).

I'm all for masks. I'm against mandating them, however, since it's hard to police. Also, since some people (albeit only a few) can't wear them due to medical reasons, it would mean they have to be prepared to explain their medical issue to anyone who asks.

And what about people who haven't been able to find masks? I think it's fair for indoor public places to require masks, but they need to be prepared to provide the mask (even if they charge the patron), in case people just don't have any. This isn't a thing that is widely available everywhere. It may become that, but so far, they are still hard to find at a price that's reasonable. An unemployed person just may not be able to afford $40 for a box of 50 masks to be able to go to the grocery store. They might be willing to pay a few dollars for 5, though.

Does anyone know if these places mandating masks have an expiry on the mandate?

And what about people who haven't been able to find masks? I think it's fair for indoor public places to require masks, but they need to be prepared to provide the mask (even if they charge the patron), in case people just don't have any. This isn't a thing that is widely available everywhere. It may become that, but so far, they are still hard to find at a price that's reasonable. An unemployed person just may not be able to afford $40 for a box of 50 masks to be able to go to the grocery store. They might be willing to pay a few dollars for 5, though.
I noticed that the Scarborough Town Centre (mall outside Toronto) has a notice on their site that you can buy masks at their Security Office for a minimum $2.00 donation.

my area had 48 hours notice for masks, were people upset and frustrated? Damn straight but we've known it was coming for a long time. Some stores have boxes of the disposable ones at the door for $1 each.
I don't buy the "masks are too expensive" comments btw (not directed at you @FigmentSpark , everyone in general) because it can be anything that covers your mouth and nose, bandana, old tshirt, dish towel, lots of choices. I shared a pattern waaay back on the first page of one that requires nothing but a pair of scissors and an old tshirt.

stores don't provide shoes, pants, shirts but still require them for us to enter, masks are new but no different. I'm sorry for those that have difficulty wearing one for whatever reason and feel terrible for the people at the door needing to mention masks need to be worn.

my area had 48 hours notice for masks, were people upset and frustrated? Damn straight but we've known it was coming for a long time. Some stores have boxes of the disposable ones at the door for $1 each.
I don't buy the "masks are too expensive" comments btw (not directed at you @FigmentSpark , everyone in general) because it can be anything that covers your mouth and nose, bandana, old tshirt, dish towel, lots of choices. I shared a pattern waaay back on the first page of one that requires nothing but a pair of scissors and an old tshirt.

stores don't provide shoes, pants, shirts but still require them for us to enter, masks are new but no different. I'm sorry for those that have difficulty wearing one for whatever reason and feel terrible for the people at the door needing to mention masks need to be worn.
Like I said, I am pro-mask. I just see reasons people might find it hard to get them. If they are selling the masks, which makes them available, I agree.

As for the pattern (thanks, by the way, because those are helpful), a great many people don't sew or have sewing or even crafting items available. I don't own a bandana and I get rid of clothes I won't wear, so no 'old t-shirts'. But, back in March I did order some masks that eventually came from China by the beginning of May, so at least I am good.

Yes, stores require clothes, which are widely available and have been for centuries, but most particularly in the last 50 years, we have had a plethora of stores and people generally have things to wear. This is a new requirement, and so people don't have a stock of them at home. It's only been this last two weeks where I've seen them available for purchase in stores. Back to the first point, if they are selling them cheaply (and given the price of them, a dollar is fair for one), then people should buy them. I also doubt disposables are actually being disposed of.

Mask mandate for all public transportation starting July 13th and for all indoor public space in Montreal July 27th. Here they distributed thousands of free re-usable masks a few weeks ago in the metro (aka. subway), commuter trains and poor boroughs. I also see disposable and re-usable masks for sale everywhere, including Provigo (aka. Loblaws), pharmacies and even at the gift shop where I work! No reason not to find a mask before they become mandatory. I’m happy with our numbers and how we flattened the curve drastically in Montreal but in prevision of the fall and a second wave (let’s be honest, there will be a second wave and maybe a third), we need to do more as individuals so we can keep our society opened as much as possible and so our kids can go back to school in September.

Right now, I own 7 re-usable masks, from 5 sources. I hate 5 of them because they have flat elastics and 1 has ties that are too short for my head. So I bought two more of the model I love and they should arrive this week. I also have access to free disposable masks at work. If I need to wear a mask for the whole day, I usually alternate between my cotton mask and a disposable mask right now (shouldn’t wear a mask for more than 3-4h according to our Health and Safety guidelines). DH has 3 masks and I bought him an XL version of the model I like. He only wears them when doing errands since his office is now in our bedroom. The kids also have 6 masks total but the ones from Old Navy are too small for my oldest to wear them for a long period of time so I bought her 2 more this week since she needs to wear one for long period of time at cheer practice and day camp.

And what about people who haven't been able to find masks?

I honestly don't know why anyone wouldn't be able to. They are widely available at basically every department store now. Walmart, Great Canadian Dollar Store, Dollarama etc... Drug stores sell them. Farmers markets sell them. People at home selling online on local classifieds sites sell them. Gap and Old Navy sell them etc... Or, you can easily make your own no sew masks. It is the rare person who has any excuse for not being obtain to attain masks.

Like I said, I am pro-mask. I just see reasons people might find it hard to get them. If they are selling the masks, which makes them available, I agree.

As for the pattern (thanks, by the way, because those are helpful), a great many people don't sew or have sewing or even crafting items available. I don't own a bandana and I get rid of clothes I won't wear, so no 'old t-shirts'. But, back in March I did order some masks that eventually came from China by the beginning of May, so at least I am good.

Yes, stores require clothes, which are widely available and have been for centuries, but most particularly in the last 50 years, we have had a plethora of stores and people generally have things to wear. This is a new requirement, and so people don't have a stock of them at home. It's only been this last two weeks where I've seen them available for purchase in stores. Back to the first point, if they are selling them cheaply (and given the price of them, a dollar is fair for one), then people should buy them. I also doubt disposables are actually being disposed of.

I don’t know how anyone can say they can’t find masks anymore. I see them everywhere. Including packs of just a few for not much money.

And there is good reason for mandating even if there isn’t a lot of enforcement. For masks to help slow the risk we actually don’t need everyone fo wear them. Just for the majority to wear them. There are many people that don’t wear a mask right now but will without much argument when they are made mandatory. Just the act of making to mandatory will increase mask use.

Also every region where it’s been made mandatory has included exemptions for people who can’t wear one because of a medical issue or disability. In Waterloo region they have also included an exemption from the bylaw for someone assisting or communicating with someone who is hard of hearing.

Nothing is a perfect answer. But saying well since we can’t enforce it, not everyone will wear one, etc etc, so we shouldn’t have it mandatory isn’t right. Cities have littering bylaws even though it’s not really enforced and some people still litter. But because it’s a bylaw people still get the sense of “hey I shouldn’t do that” and some behaviour changes. If even just 75% of people wear them it will help.

It also means employers now have to make sure all their employees are wearing masks. This will help protect employees a lot. Some like my daughters store already did this. But I’ve seen almost no masks worn by employees at Shoppers drug mart, grocery stores etc. Since their employers won’t do what’s needed to keep the employees safe, these bylaws and public health orders will.

Simcoe Muskoka and Haliburton Kawartha Pine Ridge just announced mandatory face coverings today. I think it will be province-wide (except maybe the far north) soon.

I am also glad that it is going to mean that employees must wear masks as I have found that hit or miss at different places. Not sure how much of that is employee choice and availability of masks vs. what they are being encouraged to do by their employers.

Does anyone know if these places mandating masks have an expiry on the mandate?

Here in Ottawa in the language our city's Medical Officer used in discussing the order before it was enacted, she indicated we're looking at at least a year of mask wearing. Not clear if it will be under a mandatory order/bylaw for that entire time.

SW

Here in Ottawa in the language our city's Medical Officer used in discussing the order before it was enacted, she indicated we're looking at at least a year of mask wearing. Not clear if it will be under a mandatory order/bylaw for that entire time.

SW
It does sound fairly open ended. I'm glad they finally acted though. It has to be tough to run a business where you want to protect your employees and customers without any sort of law or bylaw requirement to back that up. At least now there is something that can be applied and enforced (although what the enforcement looks like is still questionable.)

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that if masks are enforced in the fall/winter then the normal seasonal flu's effect (non-covid) should also not be as prevalent either since it's spread basically the same way as Covid -- so an added benefit.

Here is the question I sent my son this morning
..How can we mandate wearing masks indoors but then say staff in schools don't need them to
do their jobs?
If all public sector employees have to wear them then why not school staff?

His response
"money mom........................."
"Splitting the hair mighty thin government of Ontario."
"They need to anti up the cost and buy them."
"If you mandate them then 25% of the education sector would be sitting at home as they can't wear PPE."
"That's why they are telling you it is up to you if you want to wear a mask"

If you want schools reopened then do it right! If not staff will become sick/die and there will be no one available to teach online education.

Here are three new masks I just ordered,,ordered yesterday,shipped today..now lets see if Canada Post gets them here before Sept.

Cat in the Hat one
1594222386759.png

Mickey Mouse #1

Mickey Mouse #2

Canadian Made
https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/PuddleJumpDesigns?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=822228495Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
Just a quick FYI
Giant tiger is advertising their
paper 3 ply masks in today's flyer
I like who they are donating a portion of the proceeds to
  • 98% bacterial and viral filtration efficiency
  • Limit 5 per customer
  • A portion of all proceeds goes to support the Canadian Red Cross :love:
  • Pack of 20
  • 20 masks for $19.97
https://www.gianttiger.com/product/...d&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=277241

Also

Canadian Tire
Box of 50 3 ply masks
$44.99
  • Disposable 3-Ply Non-Medical Face Masks are made of breathable material that is comfortable, non-toxic, non-irritating and moisture proof
  • Adjustable nose strip for a better fit
  • One size fits most with elastic ear loops
  • Non-medical masks for civilian use
  • Intended for single use only
  • Includes 50 masks per pack

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/disposable-3-ply-non-medical-face-masks-50-pk-3997520p.html#srp

Last edited:
Nice. Where we are in NB, I would easily say 75% of people are NOT wearing masks in stores. Heck, even some of the staff in hospitals and doctors offices aren't wearing them. I think part of the problem here is that our case numbers are so low, that people just don't feel there's a risk.
I feel like that is the same where we are in BC, people feel safe because the numbers are low. I have started wearing my mask when I go in to stores, honestly it isn't that big of a deal for me. I know for the entire day they can become bothersome but I am lucky that at my job in retail we are able to wear a face shield which is easier to wear for the day. My ears don't get sore and it is not quite as hot. It does get in the way of answering a phone etc but we just laugh trying to use the phone etc. Have to keep everyone safe around us as well as ourselves.

I also noticed at walmart on the weekend they were not cleaning carts anymore and had both entrances opened instead of one as an entrance and one as an exit. I have some wipes I keep with me to use but that was the first time I had seen a store not handing over a clean buggy etc. I don't go out shopping that often so maybe that store has been like that for a few weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter