• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Masks?

@bababear_50 I completely understand what you mean about humidity building up in the mask. Most of the time I really don't mind wearing a mask but some days, I just cannot stand it. On Thursday, I think I changed my mask 3 or 4 times ever 7 hours including using a disposable one because I just couldn't stand my cotton masks. I suggest you often change and you try to find a style that doesn't touch your skin too much. And a shield would be better than nothing if one day a mask is just not possible. At least the shield prevents you from touching your face. Also, talk to your dermatologist to see if he/she can suggest a barrier cream to use? My youngest has some skin issues and we use an amazing barrier cream CUTIbase (Canadian made) when she has flare-ups in areas with high humidity.

personally I don't feel as comfortable around people who are only wearing a shield for some reason. There's just sooo much space between the face and the shield, even if the person turns to cough or sneeze it still gets "out". I think the shield protects the wearer more than others

this is all just MY thoughts, nothing more

I totally agree with you. If my doctor does not wear a mask, I would not allow him/her anywhere close to me. I just think of all the close face-to-face contacts that the other person faces and the fact that there was no mask to practice airborne-distantancing. I see that that as a two-way respect. You protect me and I protect you.

@bababear_50 I completely understand what you mean about humidity building up in the mask. Most of the time I really don't mind wearing a mask but some days, I just cannot stand it. On Thursday, I think I changed my mask 3 or 4 times ever 7 hours including using a disposable one because I just couldn't stand my cotton masks. I suggest you often change and you try to find a style that doesn't touch your skin too much. And a shield would be better than nothing if one day a mask is just not possible. At least the shield prevents you from touching your face. Also, talk to your dermatologist to see if he/she can suggest a barrier cream to use? My youngest has some skin issues and we use an amazing barrier cream CUTIbase (Canadian made) when she has flare-ups in areas with high humidity.

I think the face shield works to prevent direct facial splash. In a close indoor environment, once the aerosols from talking have been floating around in the room (they have been shown to float for a couple of hours), a face shield loses its effectiveness as a barrier due to its large opening / gaps.

You are so sweet Ottawamom
Thank-you for your kind offer.
I have taken the video you posted and sent it to my sister in law (she sews) and I will do as you suggest and give her one of my super soft pillow cases. Thanks for the suggestion Hon.
I appreciate you.
Hugs
Mel
I found an even better model to try Improved mask design. I spent an hour watching mask making videos after I posted the last one and this one looks even easier to make. A little more measuring but this is the one I would try now.

I suggested the sheets because that is what I've gone to for the inside of all the masks I make now. It's super soft (from all the washing) and 100% cotton. I put my fancy fabric on the outside for a statement.

Starting Saturday (July 18th), masks will be mandatory in public indoor venues everywhere in the province of QC. The law is for everybody 12 yo and older but highly suggested for 2-12 yo. That suggests to me that masks will be mandatory for high schools kids (Grade 7 and up) but only suggested for elementary levels (K-Grade 6).

Our Premier said that wearing a mask is not being afraid, it's being respectful. Won't change much for us since we already wear ours the rare times we go somewhere but I'm sure some are pissed right now because it infringes on their individual freedom.

Have any sewers tried interfacing with their masks? It seems to be quite similar to the materials used in the hospital masks.

I just don't get this "freedom" thought. If someone has the "freedom" not to wear a mask, shouldn't I have the freedom not to serve that customer in my business? So what is the logic of going to a store and refusing to wear a mask, but expecting to be served? Isn't it like, "no shirt no service" rule? It's also very similar to require a helmet at construction site and safety glasses at paint ball playground.

Funny,well not funny for those that actually do,but, how many people have medical conditions that they can't wear masks.IMo,if you can't, you should have a doctor's note handy to prove it.Otherwise,it's all for nothing, where some wear it and others don't.JMO

Funny,well not funny for those that actually do,but, how many people have medical conditions that they can't wear masks.IMo,if you can't, you should have a doctor's note handy to prove it.Otherwise,it's all for nothing, where some wear it and others don't.JMO

I think it’s actually very few people who truly can’t wear one. I know several people who have breathing issues and they are able to wear a mask. It took some getting used to and they couldn’t wear one for hours, but for 30 mins or so while in a store it’s no problem.

That said I’m not going to judge people that aren’t wearing one because I know there are some people. Those people who don’t have one on and are obviously just against masks in general. You know the type, complaining about it. Those people I judge.

And we don’t need everyone to wear masks. They have studies that estimate they make a significant difference if only 75-80% peolle wear them.

I just think of the guy with asthma and allergies who won a 10K race while wearing a mask, because it prevented him from breathing in pollen and pollution. Galen Rupp, I believe he holds a record in the 10K, while wearing a mask. So people who say you can't breathe with it on or whatever just don't want to wear one. I heard a guy on the radio say it causes him to have a seizure, which I've never heard of, maybe it's true, or maybe he just doesn't want to wear one. It was a call in segment where they were discussing whether you should say something to someone not wearing a mask as it's now a requirement here (indoors). He said people should mind their own business, because it upset him to be confronted. I agree though, if you have a medical reason to not wear one, get a note. I imagine that's the only thing that will prevent a fine here now? I haven't read the bylaw wording yet though.

Kind of missed the discussion about masks and skin issues, but I just noticed that the Bay is selling silk face masks. Not cheap, but I’m guessing these might be less hot than many other types of mask. As someone who has a few skin issues, this is certainly of interest to me.

My update:
I am trying out a new mask,,,
Skin doc ( Dermatologist ) said to try Jersey cotton as it is something that my skin is currently able to tolerate.
If I could I'd live in my t-shirts and pj's I'd love it!!!
So far so good,,I did wash them 4 times before first use. They are 3 ply.
When washed they do shrink,,they fit me perfectly,,,, but too small for my son's beard.
50 mask for $46.99.
reasonable price.
https://www.amazon.ca/Reusable-Cotton-Face-Mask-Pack/dp/B0891XJV1K
Here is a picture of me wearing it.
I sewed a small heart button ( think * The Grinch* ) on the corner seem ,,so that I will know which side is out.
I also ordered a bunch of Mickey head buttons to sew on the other ones.
You could also Tye Dye ,Fabric marker paint or T-shirt paint them.
HFAAOqs.jpg

1594748803273.png1594748670275.png
Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
I just don't get this "freedom" thought. If someone has the "freedom" not to wear a mask, shouldn't I have the freedom not to serve that customer in my business? So what is the logic of going to a store and refusing to wear a mask, but expecting to be served? Isn't it like, "no shirt no service" rule? It's also very similar to require a helmet at construction site and safety glasses at paint ball playground.
I would think that small businesses could do this. It is private property and you can make your rules, such as shoes & shirt etc. I would think if people can't wear a mask due to a medical condition etc as long as you could offer them curb side pick up or delivery it would be fine. I have zero issues of having to wear a mask, are they uncomfortable sure but if I can keep myself safer and my customers safer that is what matters.

Finding the mask that fits the best seems to be my biggest issue, my face is wide but short so many of them ride up to far under my eyes.

Kind of missed the discussion about masks and skin issues, but I just noticed that the Bay is selling silk face masks. Not cheap, but I’m guessing these might be less hot than many other types of mask. As someone who has a few skin issues, this is certainly of interest to me.

Skin Doc also mentioned that silk ones could be an option.
Hope they work for you. Please let us know how it works for you.
Hugs
Mel

PS
I think we live in the same neighbourhood,,
Close to Meadowvale Community.
Be safe and Be well!
Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
I just think of the guy with asthma and allergies who won a 10K race while wearing a mask, because it prevented him from breathing in pollen and pollution. Galen Rupp, I believe he holds a record in the 10K, while wearing a mask. So people who say you can't breathe with it on or whatever just don't want to wear one. I heard a guy on the radio say it causes him to have a seizure, which I've never heard of, maybe it's true, or maybe he just doesn't want to wear one. It was a call in segment where they were discussing whether you should say something to someone not wearing a mask as it's now a requirement here (indoors). He said people should mind their own business, because it upset him to be confronted. I agree though, if you have a medical reason to not wear one, get a note. I imagine that's the only thing that will prevent a fine here now? I haven't read the bylaw wording yet though.
Yep...if I had a legit reason to not wear one I would carry a doctors note. BUT....I'm a rule follower by nature.

I understand some people might not be able to wear a mask. If that's the case, get in and out quickly, and don't gab to your friends over the fruit and vegetable aisle!!! That's what annoys me the most. The people that are standing around chatting "moistly". I've gone into a store without a mask a couple of times, on my way walking home from work when I've forgotten it, but I'm very conscious of the fact I don't have one, I grap the one thing, keep my mouth shut and get out of there.

There will be people that don't have the means to get a mask - sold out in lots of places in our town. If you don't have a cc, hard to order online. Someone like my bil with schizophrenia would have no clue about figuring it all out, or being responsible enough to wash one properly. So if he's on a bus a few times a week, wearing the same mask that hasn't been cleaned, is that safe? I'm all for masks. I hope they make it mandatory in public spaces, but I also feel there are some situations where you're not going to get full compliance, for a variety of reasons. But, stores should be able to say no mask, no service. Without fear of reprisal or someone claiming discrimination, etc. Most stores are willing to go out of their way to please a customer with contactless pick up, drop off, etc.

I would be interested in some comments,direct literature, personal thoughts,and discussion about face shields.
This would be for adult use in elementary grades.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/will-a-face-shield-protect-you-from-the-coronavirus/
Thanks Mel

I plan to buy a couple of these to use. I have some health issues that masks trigger. If I wear a mask for longer than 30~ minutes, it takes me roughly 24 hours to get over the symptoms it triggers.

On the plus side, these actually protect you more than a mask. On the downside, they don't protect the people close to you as well. However, it's also only an issue if you're actively coughing or sneezing. So, the simple solution is - if you are exhibiting those symptoms, stay home.

My Disney masks came. So in case anyone's interested and since there have been questions about sizing. Here is what I found.

I realized my Old Navy masks are actually larger than the standard throwaway. I bought Large Disney ones and they are smaller than the throwaway ones, widthwise, but the same length. Also, the ear straps seem to be sufficient and it does cover my face (although might not cover the faces of the men in the family, not sure). Of course, there is no metal in either the Disney or Old Navy reusable, but the Disney one is snug, since it is a shorter width.

This is a flat comparison. Sorry it's not straight. The Disney one and the throwaway are the same length, but the Old Navy one is a bit longer (one elastic under the mask, not missing, lol).

For this photo, I put the Disney one on top of the throwaway one, with the back ends touching. You will notice that the Disney one is smaller by about an inch, maybe a little less.

I've seen several reviews of the Disney masks and there seems to be a LOT of complaints about the sizing, ear loops being too small on the largest (but only on certain ones) some are fine until you try to talk and then they either ride up into your eyes or drop below your chin. Most people say they're comfy but it's the sizing that's bothersome. I hope everyone who ordered them and then needed to pay the extra for duty is satisfied with them once they finally arrive!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter