Masks?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/face-mask-stow-reuse-1.5675473
article on CBC about how to store and clean your mask, including reusing disposable ones and recommendation that kids have 2 for school each day and change after lunch. I think schools will be providing two cloth ones? At least in Alberta and Ontario has aid they will be supplying them but I didn't see how many.

I’ve heard Ontario will be providing 2 cloth masks for each child. But we’ve bought our son 10 to have available for school (2 per day). We have the means to buy our own so we would rather the masks go to kids who need them. We also wanted to get ones that we know he finds comfortable and designs he likes, so he’s less likely to complain.

If the kids only have 2 masks it would mean washing them every night. That’s why we got him 10, that way we only have to wash them once or twice a week. I think of you wore the same masks everyday it would wear them out quickly.

I’ve heard Ontario will be providing 2 cloth masks for each child. But we’ve bought our son 10 to have available for school (2 per day). We have the means to buy our own so we would rather the masks go to kids who need them. We also wanted to get ones that we know he finds comfortable and designs he likes, so he’s less likely to complain.

If the kids only have 2 masks it would mean washing them every night. That’s why we got him 10, that way we only have to wash them once or twice a week. I think of you wore the same masks everyday it would wear them out quickly.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if they'd be providing 2 so I'm glad to see that. I know there was discussion about being able to afford them so this is good to know for people. I do agree with getting my own though, I have 10 for him and my mom ordered him some "fun" ones online... so he'll have enough to be washed once a week with no problems, and in a couple styles in case one fits/works better for him. I also ordered him some ear savers so we can try them out, I understand wearing the masks all day every day can hurt your ears. I bought some plastic ones and will probably get another kind if these don't work that well for him. And I hope to find some fun holiday fabrics to make him a couple, I can sew but it's so much work :) Would be worth it for a fun Halloween or Christmas mask though. If I can find fabric!

The instructions to put the mask in a paper bag (specifically not plastic) was interesting to me, I don't have a lot of paper bags to be honest, I guess I'll try and find some of those lunch sacks? So he has a place to store them easily so "stuff" isn't getting all over his back pack and everything in it. Kind of defeats the purpose if the mask infects everything we touch.

Amazon has some good deals on paper lunch bags
and I know they are at Dollarama and Dollar tree.

Two masks is ok but for families unable to do home laundry this will require they hand wash them.
I forget sometimes that having a washer/dryer all my own is considered a luxury to others.:laundy:
Maybe School Parent councils can step up to the plate and make/donate more.
I know my sis in law has been making them non stop for LTC facilities.
I am thinking each child needs at least 10 a week.

Hugs
Mel

Last edited:

I got an email from Footlocker today. They were asking people to wear masks in their stores. Interesting that they saw the need to make sure people knew HOW to wear a mask. This was in the email:

Considering how many people I have seen with it pulled down from their nose and/or mouth... Some people seem to think they should pull it down to talk to someone, which kind of defeats the purpose, no? Oh well. I do have to speak louder than I normally would to be heard, through the mask and the plexi glass at the cashes it is sometimes hard to be heard.

Quick update.... the Old Navy masks, while a half inch longer than the disposables, actually shrink about that much when you wash them and put them in the dryer. Up until now, I've been washing by hand. Today, I tossed one in with the wash and it shrunk. Oh well. It's still a good size, just a little smaller.

Considering how many people I have seen with it pulled down from their nose and/or mouth... Some people seem to think they should pull it down to talk to someone, which kind of defeats the purpose, no? Oh well. I do have to speak louder than I normally would to be heard, through the mask and the plexi glass at the cashes it is sometimes hard to be heard.

I always wonder what these people are thinking the purpose of the mask is.

Old Navy ca now has new ear adjuster masks. My online order arrived within a week and a half so hugely better delivery time. UPS delivered so they must have ironed out their problems or contract. The more colourful collections are on back order into September but the plain navy and gray are in stock now. The old style always rode up into my eyes. Will see if I can customize the new ear adjuster style to make it stay put.

Today I wore masks for 9h (changed after 4h). I can say that for me it's the shape of the elastic that makes a difference. The flat ones are the worst and hurt me. That's why I just ordered 5 more masks with the kind of elastic that I like from my favourite vendor. I usually carry a mesh bag for undergarment to put my dirty masks in and that mesh bag is in a small plastic bag in my purse. Then, I wash them by hand 2-3 times and then wash in the washer (usually the Friday). I have two types of ear savers, a silicon piece and a head band with buttons. I'm not a fan as they pull the mask in a weird angle and the mask becomes too tight on my face and makes breathing kind of hard. On the left is my re-usable and to the left is a procedure mask I got at work (to access certain areas I need a disposable mask). I put them next to each other to show my friend how my favourite style is very similar in shape to the procedure mask (medical grade). It is very tight on the sides and nose but doesn't touch my mouth.

For those of you who have masks with elastic that hurts your ears, you can try taking an old pair of tights and cut slices about an inch wide across them. Then pull the loop until it curls. Cut it in half and replace the old elastic in your uncomfortable masks (you just take a safety pin and stick it into the tights loop to make it easier to insert into the appropriate area---make sure to remove the safety pin once you've threaded it through). Then tie a knot in the new loop at the right length and then rotate the loop until the knot is inside the mask elastic pocket. It is much more comfortable.

Today I wore masks for 9h (changed after 4h). I can say that for me it's the shape of the elastic that makes a difference. The flat ones are the worst and hurt me. That's why I just ordered 5 more masks with the kind of elastic that I like from my favourite vendor. I usually carry a mesh bag for undergarment to put my dirty masks in and that mesh bag is in a small plastic bag in my purse. Then, I wash them by hand 2-3 times and then wash in the washer (usually the Friday). I have two types of ear savers, a silicon piece and a head band with buttons. I'm not a fan as they pull the mask in a weird angle and the mask becomes too tight on my face and makes breathing kind of hard. On the left is my re-usable and to the left is a procedure mask I got at work (to access certain areas I need a disposable mask). I put them next to each other to show my friend how my favourite style is very similar in shape to the procedure mask (medical grade). It is very tight on the sides and nose but doesn't touch my mouth.

View attachment 516322
I would love to know where you purchased that one on the left. Was it online? Canadian retailer?

I would love to know where you purchased that one on the left. Was it online? Canadian retailer?

Yes it’s Canadian. I now buy all my masks from a lady on Facebook. I just ordered 9 more yesterday (my third order). Four for my kids and five for me, including a Mickey Mouse mask. Her page is Le Grenier à Lexi. Her posts are in French but I know she’s anglophone so you can write to her in English.
117162756_3352289098157155_5266313084167219983_n.jpg 117305049_578825959479622_6074014498911944678_n.jpg

A question about the Old Navy masks and ear adjuster.

Does the little bead/adjuster bug your ears? DH needs some that actually fit his face and I wondered if that bead would rub.

DD12 is going to wear masks at school (NS) even though it's not mandated for junior high students. Actually it's only mandated for high schoolers in the hallways!

A question about the Old Navy masks and ear adjuster.

Does the little bead/adjuster bug your ears? DH needs some that actually fit his face and I wondered if that bead would rub.

DD12 is going to wear masks at school (NS) even though it's not mandated for junior high students. Actually it's only mandated for high schoolers in the hallways!
I wore one with the new ear adjuster grocery shopping this morning and it didn't bother my ears at all. Of course, everyone's face is different so YMMV. But I was happy with the new old navy style and think its def an improvement over their first model.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter