Masks?

Haven't worn a mask yet while doing errands and don't plan on wearing one unless they become mandatory. I do wear a light neck warmer so if I cannot keep a proper distance with someone (especially cashiers), I will bring it up to my nose but otherwise, I keep my distances and don't talk or open my mouth. Luckily, I don't have allergies. I also refuse to wear gloves because I really believe they accumulate more pathogens than bare hands. I do carry a little bottle of Purell for when I need to touch my phone or my credit card and I use it just before entering my car.

Normally, I work with pathogens every day so I am used to know what my hands are doing at all time (you become very conscious of what you touch when you work with bad stuff) and since the pandemic, I noticed I am in that awareness mode anytime I'm away from home. That help with the no face touching as well as tying up my hair.

We do have 1 medical mask per person at home and I keep them in case we develop bad symptoms and need to consult a doctor or go to the ER. Otherwise, if we develop symptoms, we will self-isolate right away and ask for help with the grocery shopping.

As someone who does suffer from seasonal allergies all that "lady's" symptoms could well have been allergies as I regularly do all three as well. I worry when I'm out and about that people will misinterpret my actions and I am completely confident they are just allergies. A little less judgement goes a long way.
That's just the way it's going to be now. If you are out in public and you are coughing, people will assume the worst, because we all know there are irresponsible people out there who will still venture out when they are sick. How comfortable would you be walking down the shopping aisle with someone in the same aisle hacking away?

While I understand this, if the mask helps me not touch my face even once while I'm out it's worth it to me!

It's been widly publicized that non-N95 masks won't prevent me from getting the virus, each person must decide for themselves if they choose to wear one or not. There is no right or wrong in this, it's whatever is best for each person.
Indeed. It’s beginning to look like masks will probably become compulsory in public over here in the UK at some point as the government is gradually being pushed into doing something in order to prove that they’re doing something, and I admit I’m not looking forward to that at all. I hate the claustrophobic feeling of anything wrapped round/across my nose and mouth (I’m definitely not one to wrap a scarf around my face in cold weather) nor do I like anything pulling at my ears. I’m really conflicted about this as while I understand the argument that a mask *may* reduce the likelihood of a sufferer breathing the virus onto someone else, that does nothing to address my tolerance level for things around my face and ears. I may just have to stay home... 🙁

And no one has yet addressed the issues of mask-wearing by the public-at-large. Everyone would need to carry multiple pieces as you can’t reuse them, a single unit is only good for a few hours (they’re ineffective once they’ve gotten wet from sweat/exhaled breath) and if you go to a restaurant you would also need a fresh one to put on when you leave after eating. And as these are technically clinical waste (we’re wearing them to stop spraying the virus, yes?) they have to be properly disposed of - you shouldn’t just throw them in the regular trash.

And please don’t tell me that everyone wears masks over in the Far East. They’ve been wearing filter masks for years due to the appalling levels of air pollution in the cities so simply continuing to do so isn’t a stretch at all.

I‘m rigorously practicing social distancing, not going to the supermarket (using our local small shops instead - no queues or shortages - or getting deliveries) and otherwise staying indoors or in the garden (sorry, yard 🙂 ). Of course as I’m a severe introvert by nature, not seeing many (if any) people is not actually bothering me at all. The only thing I would really like to be able to do is drive across to the coast, but making any non-essential journey is an arrestable offence now... 🥺

My mom sewed some masks for our families this week. She took twist ties and sewed them at the top so we could pinch it around our nose. Then she dried out some non-scented wipes and added them into the middle as a filter. She didn’t have any elastic so she opened up some bungy cords and used the elastics in those! This was a McGyver-level project and I am so impressed by her resourcefulness! (Wow that’s a long word lol)

We have several n95 non medical grade masks meant for dust etc and many don’t realize there are two types . They would not be of use to anyone really as they were not sterile or meant for medical use. My daughter sometimes goes shopping for me and I feel bad that she is wearing a mask that says n 95 when the media keep saying no one should be wearing them. She is only 15 and I don’t want her being treated badly by those who misunderstand. She is also Asian so that compounds things. Many have a couple of old N95 masks kicking around in their home. Using them is not taking away from a health care workers safety. I just found an N 100 used for cleaning last year. I am just finding this situation is really upsetting.

AND practise physical distancing....staying at least 6 ft away from others. So easy to forget once people wear their homemade masks while grocery shopping, they think they are now “safe”.
Which is one reason why the UK government hasn’t (yet) been pushed into making masks compulsory - there’s a real consideration that people wearing one will believe even unconsciously that they can afford to ignore the social distancing rules.

I ordered masks online and they are supposed to be here next Monday (coming in from China so who knows). In the meantime, I have one disposable mask that I got from the rehab place my mom was in before the lock down when they had several residents, mom included, who had pneumonia. I didn't need to use it the day she was discharged and it ended up in my jacket pocket. I only go out once a week to grocery shop during the 6 a.m. senior hour and so I've been using the same mask over and over. When I get home, it gets sprayed with disinfectant and then hangs untouched until the following week.

I ordered masks online and they are supposed to be here next Monday (coming in from China so who knows). In the meantime, I have one disposable mask that I got from the rehab place my mom was in before the lock down when they had several residents, mom included, who had pneumonia. I didn't need to use it the day she was discharged and it ended up in my jacket pocket. I only go out once a week to grocery shop during the 6 a.m. senior hour and so I've been using the same mask over and over. When I get home, it gets sprayed with disinfectant and then hangs untouched until the following week.
Good luck. I ordered some a few weeks ago that were supposed to be here last week. Even things from within the country are being bogged down by all the online purchasing people are doing. An order I placed at the end of March with Amazon for some ethernet cords won't even be shipped from Amazon until the second week in May. If you can get something in a store, even if it's a curbside pick up, like Canadian Tire and Michaels have, you actually might be better off. Of course, not for masks. They are the hot commodity right now.

Good luck. I ordered some a few weeks ago that were supposed to be here last week. Even things from within the country are being bogged down by all the online purchasing people are doing. An order I placed at the end of March with Amazon for some ethernet cords won't even be shipped from Amazon until the second week in May. If you can get something in a store, even if it's a curbside pick up, like Canadian Tire and Michaels have, you actually might be better off. Of course, not for masks. They are the hot commodity right now.

That's why I'm holding on to and reusing what I have. It might not be a perfect solution, but it is better than nothing at this time.

DH has about N95 non-medical grade masks from his work, but he won't use them for fear of the above.
My $0.02. At this point, I would suggest he do what he thinks is best for his health and not worry so much about what others think. I have been doing all the shopping for our household and every time I am out, I see people with N95 masks on. If you have one, use it. It provides no benefit to you sitting in your closet.

I wear a mask to go shopping. Got one for free, a community group of volunteers were making them for those who wanted. It wasn’t widely broadcasted. I must say, not being used to wearing them the first time or two it was impossible to keep my hands away, adjusting it.

Haven't worn a mask yet while doing errands and don't plan on wearing one unless they become mandatory. I do wear a light neck warmer so if I cannot keep a proper distance with someone (especially cashiers), I will bring it up to my nose but otherwise, I keep my distances and don't talk or open my mouth. Luckily, I don't have allergies. I also refuse to wear gloves because I really believe they accumulate more pathogens than bare hands. I do carry a little bottle of Purell for when I need to touch my phone or my credit card and I use it just before entering my car.

Normally, I work with pathogens every day so I am used to know what my hands are doing at all time (you become very conscious of what you touch when you work with bad stuff) and since the pandemic, I noticed I am in that awareness mode anytime I'm away from home. That help with the no face touching as well as tying up my hair.

We do have 1 medical mask per person at home and I keep them in case we develop bad symptoms and need to consult a doctor or go to the ER. Otherwise, if we develop symptoms, we will self-isolate right away and ask for help with the grocery shopping.

I’m in the same boat. I will wear a mask if they’re mandatory. Anticipating that my employer may require them when we return to office so I will be ordering some.

I am a non-sewer so I just ordered some reusable, washable masks from a Canadian supplier yesterday. I feel really hesitant about this, as I don’t believe I’ll be able to keep from fiddling with a mask when I’m out. Just the same, I’ll try.

Probably going back tot the lab on May 4th (we are considered essential workers but were asked to work from home as much as possible to save on PPE). I need to order fabric masks for my train commute since I don't sew but not planning on wearing one at work since we will be able to easily keep 2m between co-workers and when I work with pathogens I do the work in a biosafety cabinet.

I am a non-sewer so I just ordered some reusable, washable masks from a Canadian supplier yesterday. I feel really hesitant about this, as I don’t believe I’ll be able to keep from fiddling with a mask when I’m out. Just the same, I’ll try.
Which Canadian supplier? I'm looking for one of those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter