Massachusetts DVC Owners Group

Well, I am heading home today (after 10 days in the Orlando area) and this vacation may have been the most different one at WDW in all the decades I've been visiting. One of the reasons may be that my DH and I switched venues 4X. Since we were due to arrive in MCO at 11PM the first night, I didn't want to spend big $ on a place to sleep so I booked a room near Sea World (we rented a car) and the rate included breakfast. We ended up on an earlier flight so we were actually settled into our room by 7PM which was nice. The following day, we moved to the Gaylord Palms Resort in Kissimmee; we stayed there for 3 nights. Then we moved to the Loew's Portofino Resort at Universal for a couple of nights. Our final destination, Bay Lake Tower for 3 nights, followed. Why all the split stays? Primarily, back in the Spring, there was little availability at any DVC resort. I was able to book a couple of nights at SS and 1 at BLT and I went on the wait list and ended up with the 3 nights here at BLT. I ended my wait list 31 days out because I didn't want to be juggling plans at the last minute. Anyway, although it was a bit discombobulating, overall it was a nice vacation. At some point, I shall write details about each stay.

As I mentioned previously, my DH and I stayed 3 nights at Gaylord Palms Resort in Kissimmee. The resort is huge and the holiday decorations were over the top. There were many spots set up for photo ops (decorated trees in front of a screen with the resort's name, for example.) Our room was located in the Key West section (far removed from the main areas: lobby, pools, etc.) but it was lovely and we had a balcony. By the way, I think that all the balconies face the indoor atrium so you can leave the sliding doors open without worrying about insects. Christmas music was often playing over the loudspeakers unless one of their paid Christmas shows was operating. They advertised their "So.Much.Christmas" featuring "acres of twinkling lights, dozens of exciting activities, shows, and events." Almost all the offerings cost $. They had a Market Square where we could walk around and see the decorations and there was all kinds of holiday merchandise available for purchase. They market all the activities to folks who can just visit for the shows, etc. (although folks need to pre-purchase their activities tickets and pay for their parking.) It appeared that many chose to do this on the weekend since we didn't notice large crowds on the weekdays. Anyway, back to our stay . . . our room was large and had the usual things (mini-fridge, coffeemaker, Smart TV, desk) often found in a hotel room. Beds were comfortable. There were many dining choices available but we only had a dinner at the Sports Bar restaurant. (I ordered a turkey panini that I sent back because it was not what I expected and didn't taste great. It was replaced with a burger which was delicious.) We checked the menus at some of the other restaurants but the prices were expensive and nothing special appealed to us to spend so much. Overall, the service was horrible. Our room was never serviced although a housekeeper knocked on our door at 5:15 one evening to ask us if we wanted service. We were relaxing and settled in for the evening so we declined. The info sheet we received at check in indicated that they were providing daily housekeeping services but you could opt out. When we needed toilet tissue, towels or coffee, we called and they were delivered to us. Ironically, housekeeping opened our door (without knocking) at 10:20 AM on the day we were due to check out (at 11 AM). The room rates were similar to WDW's deluxe resorts ($500+ nightly) and the resort and parking fees are additional. Frankly, we felt that the resort nickel and dimed us to an extreme. For example, guests could reserve front row ("premium") seating at the pools. I think it was $25 pp for 5 hours (but don't quote me.) We guffawed when we saw this. The water park is large and includes a couple of slides (you need to walk up a zillion stairs to reach the top), whirlpool areas, a quiet, lap pool and a lazy river (although there aren't any tubes. One is simply pushed along by the current.) There is also a FlowRider, The Wake Zone, where you can body board or surf (also for an addl. fee starting at $25.) The resort fee was ridiculous. It included wi-fi (which we already receive as a benefit due to our loyalty level), 2 bottles of water in our room daily (we had to call for them each day since we never had housekeeping), fitness room access, water park access and 2 items of dry cleaning daily (WHAT? We had no need for this since nothing we brought with us required dry cleaning.) The atrium grounds are gorgeous: bridges, flowers, lily pond, a gator viewing area (where guests can watch the feeding 2 days a week; we missed the days.) We felt compelled to visit the fitness room since we were paying for it. We went one afternoon and were the only ones there. While I am not a regular, my husband is (he studied human performance and fitness in college and is a member of our YMCA.) He said that the equipment was top-notch and walked me through the use of several machines. It was fun. Disposable earphones were available for guests to use since some of the machines featured screens an You Tube videos. Oh! the room key is supposed to control your access to the parking areas. The first day, it didn't work so an attendant opened the gate for us and said that the key would probably work tmrw. It didn't. On our last night, we'd gone out to eat and, when we returned, the key still didn't work. The attendant told us to go back to the lobby and have them fix it. I told the attendant that we were checking out in the morning and would not be going all the way to the lobby to fix our access. We were being charged for parking each day (it was noted on the daily bill we got) but we didn't receive a key that worked. SMH. He opened the gate for us. The resort is definitely geared toward business travelers attending conventions and with a big expense account, not for average people on a vacation. Overall, I would not recommend staying there (it is not within walking distance of anything else) unless you don't mind spending big bucks for a room to sleep in. However, if you like holiday decorations and activities, you may want to visit at that time but be prepared to spend a lot more on top of your room, resort and parking fees.

Last edited:
So, while this is a bit late, here are some thoughts about my visit to Universal. We stayed at the Portofino Resort (I've stayed at all 3 of their deluxe resorts and Portofino is, by far, my favorite.) I used their online check-in although it still required me to physically go to reception in the lobby which was a bit disappointing considering there was 1 agent assisting folks who used the online service and 3 agents assisting others. Although there was only 1 person ahead of me in the line, she must have had a complicated reservation because it took over 15 mins for the agent to help her with all she needed. Once it was my turn, while Matt was helping me - doing whatever he needed to do on his computer - I told him that I'd had a balcony room (very few available) previously and really enjoyed it so I asked if there was a way to request one on a future reservation. He told me that it was usually a random thing. He did tell me that my room was located in the West wing and I was very glad because it is the bldg closer to the boat and the path to walk to the parks. When we arrived in our room, we discovered that we had a balcony! It wasn't one of the balconies that had seating but we could still go out on it when we wanted so it was nice. The rooms are large and my husband always appreciates the upholstered chair and ottoman found in the rooms. The bathroom is very large and the lighting - including a magnified makeup mirror - is great. Love the toiletries they offer (none of those dispensers in the shower that are getting to be so common. I truly dislike them in the DVC rooms.) They give you the option of texting guest services instead of calling them. We used the text method a couple of times during our 2-night stay and their response was quick. Daily housekeeping was nice. The parks - US & IOA - were very crowded but we had quick access to many rides (a benefit to staying at one of the deluxe resorts); we just had to show our room key. The highlights of our US visit was we got to see a live concert of Mannheim Steamroller ("lawn" seating; no benches or chairs. The weather was very nice though so sitting on the ground wasn't too bad.)and the Holiday parade featuring Macy's balloons. Both were wonderful! We dined at both Hard Rock Cafe (surprisingly tasty food and good service) and The Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen (the worst meal of the 10 day vac. I've dined there previously and loved it. This visit was awful and expensive.)

Happy New Year! Just renewed my AP (got the Sorcerer's since the black out dates are times when I do not plan to be home.) Since I had to call MS to renew and I was on hold for more than 30 mins., I thought of a couple of other things to ask about once Kevin answered my call. While I ended up being on the phone for over an hour, I accomplished my tasks and my questions were answered and dealt with as needed. Kevin said that the computers were wicked slow (he also said that they always were slow when MS had been closed due to a holiday.) I do not think that I have ever previously been on the line with MS for such a long time. Kevin was knowledgeable and efficient so I know that he was moving things along as quickly as possible. Maybe the slow connection is another reason (in addition to too few CMs) that the hold time is so long now.

Greetings! Here at WDW for a 10-night, split stay solo trip. 1st stop: SS' next is BWV. Went to Disney Springs for a few hours today. It was crowded but I was able to get a walk-in lunch at Chef Art Smith's Homecomin'. I chose first available and, 5 mins later, was seated at an outdoor table (for 4.) It was very windy; in addition to having to anchor the napkins, leaves were landing on the table but quickly blowing away. I was delighted to dine here since it is one of my favorite sit-down restaurants in all of WDW. After lunch, I walked all over and checked out many of the offerings in World of Disney, The Pin Store and Trends. Picked up a few items. I also got the opportunity (finally!) to stop in Gideon's. Although there was a line, it was much more reasonable than I'd ever seen it previously. I think I waited about 15-20 mins. They weren't letting many folks inside at one time. I was surprised at how small the retail shop was. The building itself seems quite large but I suppose the majority of the space is for the baking. The portions - cake slices and individual cookies - are huge. Prices are not on display; I asked. I ended up buying one cookie; I think it weighs a pound! It was $6 + tax. Haven't tried it yet but it looks yummy. Oh! One other thing: most times that I visit, I rent a car and, although I managed to reserve one for just under $300 for the whole trip, I ended up canceling it because I didn't think I'd need it since I was traveling alone. I booked the Mears service RT to get from MCO to WDW and back. While it is a bit inconvenient since I flew on Jet Blue, overall I think it is a good value. JB arrives in Terminal A and I needed to retrieve my large, checked bag on the 2nd floor then return to the 3rd floor, walk across to Terminal B (lugging the checked bag and the carry-on, go to the 1st floor and walk all the way to the end where Magical Express used to be. Once I arrived there, it was relatively simple to check in, get my row assignment and, after a few minutes, go to my assigned bus. It's a bit cool here but the weather is due to progressively warm up over the next few days. Since I left just after the blizzard (30" where I live), I am delighted to be here. ;-D

Sounds like you're having fun lopo! I have yet to get into that bake shop, the lines are daunting.

Glad you had a relatively unremarkable Mears trip. I wasn't happy with ME back in October without the luggage service either. Same deal: fetch the luggage, back up across and down. I miss those moving sidewalks. It is incentive to pack lighter though, LOL.

Enjoy your trip!
I'm sure the snow will still be here waiting for your return we're due for a little more, break out the snowshoes!

What did they charge for the Bus?

I have found that for the cost and piece of mind, it just easier to use a service like destination MCO….

no line, no running to the other side of the terminal. You go straight to the hotel…

we check in March 31! anyone fly out if bdl lately? The last 2 trips tsa was a breeze with not many flying. wondering if we should allow for more time this trip.

I was very excited to see & hear Kissy Simmons, Nala in The Lion King, and Michael James Scott, the Genie in Aladdin, as the Disney on Broadway Concert Series performers tonight in the American Gardens open air theater. It was worth being cold and wet to see the show. They were fabulous.

Haven't been to WDW since 2016! We are long overdue for a cruise and stay at BCV. We had both scheduled for 2020 and 2021, but were unable to go due to COVID. May need to wait until next year when the grandchildren are old enough to go with us, although I may try to sneak a short trip in before then. 😉 Until then, I'm living vicariously through social media to see what others are doing at WDW!

We used a limo service prior to Magical Express and since we usually fly Jet Blue, will most likely go back to the limo option rather than having to carry luggage across the terminals, along with little ones.

Hi everyone! I tried to do a search on this, but didn't see anything, so I apologize if I just messed up how to search!!

We will be driving for the first time from MA to Disney in July. Our son is doing the College Program, and provided he gets a parking pass, we'll be driving his car down.

I am basically looking for suggestions on how people manage the drive. We are thinking we'd need two overnights along the way. We'd leave on a Thursday, hoping to arrive early in the day on Saturday. What time would yo suggest leaving on a weekday? Any recommended rest stops along the way? Hotel recommendations?

I have watched this board since it started but don't think I've contributed before. We've been DVC since 2008, our homes are SSR, AKV, BLT, BWV....and as of today, VGF! It has been quite the week at our house haha!!!

When we still lived in Plymouth my wife and I drove to WDW several times while looking for a home. Since we were retired we had the luxury of time so we would break the drive down into 8 hour stretches which was about as much as we cared to drive in one day.

We planned our drives ahead of time and made reservations for hotels at the appropriate stopping places. We are fans of the Marriott hotel brands so we stuck with them. We preferred the Residence Inn properties but did also stay at some Fairfield Inn properties. Of course you'll do just as well with the Hilton family of hotels. Basically, stick with the big name brands and you'll be fine.

The other questions about driving depends a bit on where in MA you are leaving from and what route you'll take. For us, the big issue of using I-95 was getting through the corridor from NYC to below Washington DC, avoiding the cities during rush hour. That was almost impossible unless you did it on a Saturday or Sunday.

OTOH, you could take what I call the inland route. That takes you a bit north of NYC and into Pennsylvania on either I-80 or I-84 then south on I-81 to I-64 and then back to I-95 at Richmond. Yes, its a longer drive, but because there is little traffic on it, the amount of extra time on the road isn't that great.

Awesome question @monorailmom - my son is doing the opposite, driving home from FL. He thinks by trading off with his GF he's going to do it in one go. I did the drive to SC that way one year... it was hell, and that's still 8 hours out from Orlando

TOLLS. That's my question. We don't own any transponders since I don't live near the pike. I've heard EZ-pass transponders may work all the way from here to FL, but they won't give you the best price on roads outside of Mass.

What is suggested?

Awesome question @monorailmom - my son is doing the opposite, driving home from FL. He thinks by trading off with his GF he's going to do it in one go. I did the drive to SC that way one year... it was hell, and that's still 8 hours out from Orlando

TOLLS. That's my question. We don't own any transponders since I don't live near the pike. I've heard EZ-pass transponders may work all the way from here to FL, but they won't give you the best price on roads outside of Mass.

What is suggested?
Ez passes work from MA to FL. We drive down to WDW usually 2 times a year. We live in the western part of the state. We usually leave on Saturday morning around 3:00-4:00 in the morning and stop in Palm Coast FL we normally get down there around 9:30-10:00 PM on Saturday. We have stopped in NC a few times, I think it was near Wilson NC. I can ask my DW exactly where we have stayed.

Ez passes work from MA to FL. We drive down to WDW usually 2 times a year. We live in the western part of the state. We usually leave on Saturday morning around 3:00-4:00 in the morning and stop in Palm Coast FL we normally get down there around 9:30-10:00 PM on Saturday. We have stopped in NC a few times, I think it was near Wilson NC. I can ask my DW exactly where we have stayed.
I ended up getting the Uni pass myself because parts of Florida weren't covered, but now it looks EZPass will cover it all. I was able to connect the two together anyhow so I'm completely covered.

Now can someone just get the carolina's to understand, 95 should never ever ever be a 2 lane highway? Each way through those states I hit bumper to bumper for the majority of the drive. Once I hit Georgia its like the gates open up and I'm free.

Thank you all so much for the replies! That is great to know about the EZ Pass working for the entire trip, I hadn't thought of that yet.

Incidentally, are we the only ones who have always called the EZ Pass a Fastpass? :)

Thank you all so much for the replies! That is great to know about the EZ Pass working for the entire trip, I hadn't thought of that yet.

Incidentally, are we the only ones who have always called the EZ Pass a Fastpass? :)
In MA it was originally called Fast Lane, then a few years later it merged with EZPass. Fast pass Fast Lane very easy to interchange.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter