May 2016 Car Rentals

The Florida Surcharge is not the Sunpass fee. There is no "opt in" or "opt out" with Alamo. Alamo will charge you the daily fee for the Sunpass only on days that you use it. If you use the Sunpass (ie. go through a Sunpass lane) you will be "opted in" for that day and Alamo will charge you the fee for that day plus the toll. I used Alamo last August for 2 weeks, always used the cash lanes, and did not receive any Sunpass related charges from Alamo.

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar
Thank you for the link because I was starting to wonder what would happen to someone like me who has a Sunpass transponder that I always use with rentals!

Only one more week to go! So excited.:dogdance:

I have two additional rental car questions. I could ask them in a new discussion but thought I would ask here first. My flight arrives at midnight (yikes!). While comparing prices to see if I can get a better rate, it is cheaper if I use a pickup time of 11:30 pm on 5/19 instead of 12:30 am on 5/20. Can I reserve using the earlier pick up time, or will I forfeit my reservation? I am guessing I would be 60-90 minutes late depending on the flight.

My second question is since I am arriving so late, will there be many cars to choose from? Anyone have any experience arriving this late?

Thanks in advance!

I would think you would be fine, but you might want to check with the rental agency. Sometimes they only hold reservations till midnight of the day of pickup. So it is possible that they would not hold your reservation past midnight. Though since you are arriving so late, what would happen if you had a flight delay. You should be fine.

I still have one reservation using VB and the $50 coupon that is at $240 for 10 days in a mini van. I then have one using Costco and AS1 along with the $25 coupon. It is at $280. My last one is at about $295 using Costco and an Entertainment $25 coupon. I think I will cancel the other two since it seems the $50 coupon is a bust and at least I know the source of the Entertainment coupon where the other $25 is unknown.

I still have one reservation using VB and the $50 coupon that is at $240 for 10 days in a mini van. I then have one using Costco and AS1 along with the $25 coupon. It is at $280. My last one is at about $295 using Costco and an Entertainment $25 coupon. I think I will cancel the other two since it seems the $50 coupon is a bust and at least I know the source of the Entertainment coupon where the other $25 is unknown.
I saw some really good rates for minivans booking directly on Avis website using Costco code and $30 Costco coupon. You should check to see if it might save additional $.

I saw some really good rates for minivans booking directly on Avis website using Costco code and $30 Costco coupon. You should check to see if it might save additional $.

Thanks. I checked it out and their rates are the same directly on Avis.com vs Costco.com. It looks better at first because on the initial page, they don't include the taxes and fees.

where'd ya find a Costco $30 coupon??
Duh..... nevermind.. I should be sleeping!
I am looking for Alamo and I now see you are talking Avis

where'd ya find a Costco $30 coupon??
Duh..... nevermind.. I should be sleeping!
I am looking for Alamo and I now see you are talking Avis
Costco site. It's MUGA049. Valid for 5 day or more rental.

Sorry, just saw the rest of your post. No alamo coupon for Costco besides the free upgrade. :(

The manager honored our $50 code at MCO on Thursday. Took three minutes. The kiosk kicked us out and we spoke to the agent who spoke to manager and gave us the credit. It really wasn't that big an issue.

If you ever want to see the contract ID or codes associated with a Costco rate, just click on the Terms & Conditions link after you have clicked on the rate on their Low Price Finder.

Thank you for the link because I was starting to wonder what would happen to someone like me who has a Sunpass transponder that I always use with rentals!

Your Sunpass transponder and account gets charged first, so nothing gets billed back through the rental agency. With your own transponder, you would not be subject to the daily fees or other fees through the rental car companies.

I just returned my compact car at Alamo. Used the Vegas Brazil code and that $50 coupon. No issues at pick up or drop off. Did the Skip the Counter. Printed receipt at drop off still lists it and has the same $86 for the week.

Ended up paying more than I wanted 374.60 14 day rental for minivan. Used my husbands union code. And a reliable 30.00 off coupon. Did a pay for it now. Tried priceline with zero luck. At least its with avis....we will get get to have both of us drive, and they always have fully loaded vehicles! Leaving on Wednesday, next two days of work will be long......

We arrived at MCO at 7 pm on Sunday May 7. There were a ton of cars to choose from. Maybe because it was Sunday? Or off season? There must have been at least 40 SUVs in our aisle. DH wanted the black Jeep Grand Cherokee but I won with the silver Nissan Pathfinder. Please tell me I chose wisely and settle this argument. All classes of vechicles seemed plentiful.
sorry, but i agree with your DH: absolutely, positively, hands down, the Jeep :thumbsup2

I cancelled my Alamo rental using the VB code because the rental was much cheaper using Dollar. Also, I don't have to worry about the possibility of the coupon not being honored.

It looks like the low rates on a mini van through Costco for us are over. Rates went way up today. Our pickup is on Friday.

Last edited:
Just back from our trip. We rented a Minivan for 5/8 thru 5/15 using the Vegas Brazil code and 50 off which was $191. I did online check in and skipped the counter and went straight to the van. When exiting the agent was having a problem with the code and she called the other booth agent over to help. She then told us the discount was not being taken by the computer but she managed to push it through and we got the reserved rate. We were so happy, thanked her and left. Hope it works for you guys!

I am about to attempt the VB code and $50 coupon on Wednesday.....I am nervous....will report back how it went!
Anxious to hear how it goes. We leave Thursday night. I am pretty close to canceling the res. with the $50 coupon and just using the one with the $25 coupon. We arrive at midnight and I just don't think I want to deal with having it questioned when I will be tired and anxious to get to our hotel. I am going to wait to see how your check in goes and if by chance you get through without hassle, I might change my mind. :) Have a great trip!

Last edited:
I am pretty close to cancelling the res. with the $50 coupon and just using the one with the $25 coupon.

I know how you feel. We arrive Friday late morning and I am seriously thinking about cancelling my reservation using the $50. coupon. I just don't want to deal with it. For only $10. more I can get a car one size down: mid-size. The only thing stopping me from cancelling it that I love picking my car from the full size aisle. Decisions, decisions. :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter