May 2016 Car Rentals

It is up to you of course, but as I posted before, I returned my May 8-15 rental on Sunday. No questions on the $50 coupon at pickup or drop off. Printed receipt shows same total. Vegas Brazil code as well.
Hmmmm....Now I must ponder further! What it must be like to be someone who just blindly books a car a month out, lets it go (pun intended) and never thinks of it again. :rotfl2::rotfl:

I had no issues at all with the 50 last week. picked up my car after skipping the counter. stopped at the exit, asked them to check the rate before i left. it was fine.
When i brought it back, i got charged the original 80.83 that was on my reservation. i would just check at the exit before you go.

We are not going til Nov, but I have been watching these threads since I am booked with the Costco rate and the $50.00 The problem I have now is that I need to add 1 more day onto my rental and I cant online(saying code is not valid) What are your thoughts on calling the 800 number? I have a full size booked right now for $123 for 6 days, its such a good rate I hate to lose it.

I know how you feel. We arrive Friday late morning and I am seriously thinking about cancelling my reservation using the $50. coupon. I just don't want to deal with it. For only $10. more I can get a car one size down: mid-size. The only thing stopping me from cancelling it that I love picking my car from the full size aisle. Decisions, decisions. :headache:
Did you decide? Part of me wants to give it a try with the $50 because that rate is so cheap! ($120 fullsize for just under 7 days) We arrive late tomorrow night.

We are not going til Nov, but I have been watching these threads since I am booked with the Costco rate and the $50.00 The problem I have now is that I need to add 1 more day onto my rental and I cant online(saying code is not valid) What are your thoughts on calling the 800 number? I have a full size booked right now for $123 for 6 days, its such a good rate I hate to lose it.
Can you modify the reservation at all, or does it say the coupon is not valid when you try to modify as well?

I actually cancelled a $240 and a $280 rate rate on a mini van in favor of $295. The $240 rate was VB with an even more expired $35 coupon. The problem with VB was that it included CDW. Sure, if I had no incidents with the vehicle, it would have been fine, but what if we were in an accident? The $280 rate was with the AS1 product code and the $50 coupon. We are also arriving at 11:00pm, so I wanted to be able to checkin online or at least use the kiosk. If I had to go to the counter, that defeated the purpose. Especially if there ended up being a line. In the end, I decided that the $15 wasn't worth the potential trouble and cancelled both cheaper rates in favor for one I know we qualify for using a coupon that we have.

I actually cancelled a $240 and a $280 rate rate on a mini van in favor of $295. The $240 rate was VB with an even more expired $35 coupon. The problem with VB was that it included CDW. Sure, if I had no incidents with the vehicle, it would have been fine, but what if we were in an accident? The $280 rate was with the AS1 product code and the $50 coupon. We are also arriving at 11:00pm, so I wanted to be able to checkin online or at least use the kiosk. If I had to go to the counter, that defeated the purpose. Especially if there ended up being a line. In the end, I decided that the $15 wasn't worth the potential trouble and cancelled both cheaper rates in favor for one I know we qualify for using a coupon that we have.
That has been my thinking somewhat too. My rates are $120 and $148. The only difference is the $25 vs the $50 coupon. I used the save with alamo code (7014926) and the AS1 code on both. I am not worried about those at all, just the coupon. Again, no big deal to stop at counter to get rate adjustment, if I wasn't arriving after midnight. :)

I have totally abandoned my Alamo reservation and used my corporate National account and got a full size for 3 days for $107 with a $20 off weekend coupon. (5/27 - 5/29)

Did you decide? Part of me wants to give it a try with the $50 because that rate is so cheap! ($120 fullsize for just under 7 days) We arrive late tomorrow night.

I'm still waffling, but I am leaning towards keeping it. In the June Rental Car thread someone stated that this is going 1 of 3 ways: 1) It goes through with absolutely no issue; 2) It doesn't go through and you have to tell the gate attendant who will make the adjustment; or 3) You email Alamo when you get home and your bill will be adjusted. So most likely you will get the $50. discount. :cutie:

I'm still waffling, but I am leaning towards keeping it. In the June Rental Car thread someone stated that this is going 1 of 3 ways: 1) It goes through with absolutely no issue; 2) It doesn't go through and you have to tell the gate attendant who will make the adjustment; or 3) You email Alamo when you get home and your bill will be adjusted. So most likely you will get the $50. discount. :cutie:
And, all in all, how much is that $50 going to kill a vacation if it isn't offered. Hm. The cost of one plate at a character buffet. Disney prices are ridiculous ;)
I'm only upset that Alamo's prices without any discount codes are still sky high. Where's the benefit of being an insider? Is it just a joke just to get our info for marketing to us?

Last edited:
And, all in all, how much is that $50 going to kill a vacation if it isn't offered. Hm. The cost of one plate at a character buffet. Disney prices are ridiculous ;)
I'm only upset that Alamo's prices without any discount codes are still sky high. Where's the benefit of being an insider? Is it just a joke just to get our info for marketing to us?
I know! This is my first trip in 2 years but I traveled there a couple times a year before that. I frequently got 6-7 day rentals for just over $100 without using any questionable codes or coupons. I remember a crazy rate one February where I only paid $79!!! Without using as1, my rate would be $275 using Costco so nowhere near previous rates.

And, all in all, how much is that $50 going to kill a vacation if it isn't offered.

Other than, if I would just cancel that reservation and reserve right now with the upgrade coupon, Disney AP and AS1 code - for only $10. more I would be done and in a mid-size car without having to worry about the $50. coupon. It's giving up getting to choose a full size car that's keeping me indecisive. :crazy2:

To clarify, I am currently sitting at $186. for a full size car for 11 days with the $50. coupon. If I cancelled and instead used the upgrade coupon I would be at $196. for a mid size car.

I would advise not calling the 800 number. This same problem occurred for me on my May 7th trip. I needed to add a day to my reservation but my rate for a full size SUV was going from $317 to over $1100 by adding one day online. I called the 800 number. Not only were they not able to help me with adding a day at my previous rate (quoted me the same $1100 rate), but even though initially I told them I was just inquiring and not to change my reservation, they changed it anyway then changed it back which caused me to loose my previous rate. I had to call back. Alamo did manually adjust the reservation back to my $317 rate but I had no confirmation of this except the name and employee number of who I talked to. Online reservation still said $11xx (which Alamo agent told me it would). Plus I could not cancel or change the reservation online and could no longer do online check in or skip the counter because the online reservation had manual changes.

I made a separate reservation for a one day rental for the extra day at $60 and planned on just returning the car after 24 hours and picking up the new one. I made a second reservation for a standard SUV for all the days I needed for $280. The thought of changing out the car after 24 hours was not appealing plus loosing skip the counter, so I cancelled the original reservation and downgraded to the standard SUV (kept both reservations until 2 days before we left). Ended up with a 7 seater Nissan Pathfinder so I was happy in the end.

Since your trip is not until November, I would just keep checking the rates. Or use one of the $25 coupons instead.

Last edited:
Just landed at MCO. Skipped the counter with Alamo and had zero issues with the Brazil $50 off code. Ended up with a 2016 Town and Country van total for 10 days $219. I'm happy

Just landed at MCO. Skipped the counter with Alamo and had zero issues with the Brazil $50 off code. Ended up with a 2016 Town and Country van total for 10 days $219. I'm happy
That's good enough for me! I am going to cancel the higher reservation and go with the cheaper one using the $50 coupon for full size tomorrow night. I will post and update after I pick up.

That's good enough for me! I am going to cancel the higher reservation and go with the cheaper one using the $50 coupon for full size tomorrow night. I will post and update after I pick up.
Good Luck. I hope it all works out for you and cant wait to hear about it. If you don't mind could you maybe either take note of what is in the full size lane or take a picture to post. Still trying to figure stuff out for November. Safe travels :)

Good Luck. I hope it all works out for you and cant wait to hear about it. If you don't mind could you maybe either take note of what is in the full size lane or take a picture to post. Still trying to figure stuff out for November. Safe travels :)
I will definitely let you know what is in the full size aisle. However, my flight lands at midnight so it might not be a good representation of the typical selection. Who knows what I may get stuck with!

Ok....I picked up my Alamo standard car using the VB and $50 code around 11:50 am today. I am an Alamo Insider and did the online check-in. As I pulled out I honestly thought my 7 night rental was being accepted for $128. The person checking me out was smiling and chatting with me and I thought I was good as gold until she handed me the receipt as I was pulling away----and my bill was $185. There is an approx difference of $57...could this be the coupon not being honored???? Regardless, the $185 still beat my price I had with Dollar ($215 for a 7 night rental) and another Alamo reservation I had cancelled for $191. So bottom line....something wasn't honored but to be honest I drove straight to Epcot and didn't look over the receipt too closely. I would have loved the $128 but I am ok with the $185 since it was still better than I could find anywhere else. Good luck everyone!

Avis pick up. What a mess. First the person didn't check my husband in. We had to go the preferred counter...next they gave us a mini van that was not clean....sorry not taking it...next we got a new assignment. There was a beautiful corvette...hmm 5 people 8 bags...not sure how that was working out. Go to the outside office again....by this time she is just as mad as I am an walked with me and family for another 15 min till we found the minivan....did get upgraded to an 8 passenger

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter