MDE App Update & Recent “Refresh” Changes Discussion (we’re not doomed!)

This is very unmagical, Disney. I'm surprised that MaxPass works this way, especially since you pay for it. I could see this being the way they make it painful to use so more people are willing to pay for additional FPs.

Definitely not nice to spring it on people with no warning. This could change my plans considerably. I would be very unhappy if I were in the parks right now.

Thanks @JETSDAD . Very helpful info! We’re arriving today, so I’m going to see if I can avoid changing to the new app. It’s in my app updates, but I do all manually, so I’ll see if I can still refresh effectively for FPs using the previous version.

Thanks @JETSDAD . Very helpful info! We’re arriving today, so I’m going to see if I can avoid changing to the new app. It’s in my app updates, but I do all manually, so I’ll see if I can still refresh effectively for FPs using the previous version.
Unfortunately I don't think app version is going to help with this. It's across the entire system so yes, refreshing will still work, just be very fast and have patience.

It appears to be on the backend and not specific to the new version of the app. But please report back how it is in-park!

Honestly I've been waiting for years for them to effectively kill the refresh method by patching the app... Now with the rumored paid FP options looming it seems like it's finally happening.

Edit because of confusion; I think eliminating refesh is a BAD thing. It's a method that's made my trips so much easier. I was waiting for Disney to patch it because I'm cynical and didn't think such a good thing would last, especially once they found out how to make money off it.

Last edited:

Just started to mess around with getting some FP's. First use of MDE since the recent change.

In the past, the screen might offer me one time for a popular ride later in the day. I could click on it and it would be mine.

Now, it shows me a FP is available at a specific time later on today, but when I click on it, the next screen tells me the FP's for that ride are all distributed and it prompts me to choose a different attraction.

This is very "upsetting" to have a FP offered to me and even if I click within one second of the choice being offered, it is gone.

I called IT to complain and they said that this is (my words) the new normal.

If you are not happy with this change, please call WDW and complain.

It is not very magical to be shown a fastpass and then be told 1 second later that it is no longer available.

Edit: 10 minutes later...................a mod merged this first post of a new thread here. I did not want that. I wanted as many people as possible to be alerted to their FP choices being yanked away before they could respond............and wanted the audience to be broader as opposed to just those that are discussing all the various changes to the new update.
Many people may see the new shiny app and not discover until their next trip that the FP game has changed in a big way.

Last edited:
Just started to mess around with getting some FP's. First use of MDE since the recent change.

In the past, the screen might offer me one time for a popular ride later in the day. I could click on it and it would be mine.

Now, it shows me a FP is available at a specific time later on today, but when I click on it, the next screen tells me the FP's for that ride are all distributed and it prompts me to choose a different attraction.

This is very "upsetting" to have a FP offered to me and even if I click within one second of the choice being offered, it is gone.

I called IT to complain and they said that this is (my words) the new normal.

If you are not happy with this change, please call WDW and complain.

It is not very magical to be shown a fastpass and then be told 1 second later that it is no longer available.

Edit: 10 minutes later...................a mod merged this first post of a new thread here. I did not want that. I wanted as many people as possible to be alerted to their FP choices being yanked away before they could respond............and wanted the audience to be broader as opposed to just those that are discussing all the various changes to the new update.
Many people may see the new shiny app and not discover until their next trip that the FP game has changed in a big way.
Did this get merged in from a separate post? I personally think a change to the Refresh strategy warrants a stand-alone thread separate from any other MDE update thread.

EDIT: and/or “Change to refresh strategy” in the title would probably draw the attention of interested folks.

Last edited:
Since the update to the app it seems refreshing is not working as it used to.

Please share your experiences.

I had trouble modifying a Splash FP for today in my newly updated iPhone app.

I had NO trouble doing it on the previous version on my iPad.

Are they trying to kill this "hack?"

Did this get merged in from a separate post? I personally think a change to the Refresh strategy warrants a stand-alone thread separate from any other MDE update thread.

EDIT: and/or “Change to refresh strategy” in the title would probably draw the attention of interested folks.

I just started a new one. Maybe it won't get merged.

ETA: And they merged it. NM.

Can someone tell me how the refresh method is any different than just checking availability for a 4th or more FP+? I've seen the sticky explaining how it is done. Seems to me it is just searching for a FP+ on the app.

Can someone tell me how the refresh method is any different than just checking availability for a 4th or more FP+? I've seen the sticky explaining how it is done. Seems to me it is just searching for a FP+ on the app.

The reason it's been labeled as refreshing is because you constantly cycle through the times, thus refreshing the app for availability.

For me I will grab the first available time and then try to modify it by cycling through the times until I get what I want. It has always worked for me, but now I am not sure that it will.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter