MDE App Update & Recent “Refresh” Changes Discussion (we’re not doomed!)

Yeah, it almost caught me as well. If the time you tried to add disappeared and another time was available it swapped it on you. There is a warning but when you don't expect it then it's easy to miss.
Couple of questions. First, If you choose a 2:00pm FP, and it's unavailable and automatically gives you an 8:00pm FP, is it already given? Or is there another step for you to accept this time? Wondering, since we may not even be in the park at the later time. Second, if one is trying to modify a time - is the first time automatically replaced or lost? Is there still another step on whether to accept? Sorry about the Q's, I did read all the posts! Thank you!

Couple of questions. First, If you choose a 2:00pm FP, and it's unavailable and automatically gives you an 8:00pm FP, is it already given? Or is there another step for you to accept this time? Wondering, since we may not even be in the park at the later time. Second, if one is trying to modify a time - is the first time automatically replaced or lost? Is there still another step on whether to accept? Sorry about the Q's, I did read all the posts! Thank you!

@JETSDAD says there is a step to accept, but if you're not paying attention you'll miss it and get that much later time you may not be able to do.

It will make the change and give a warning that the time isn't what you asked for. You then can confirm or back out and keep what you originally had. The problem is that it never worked this way before so people just think that they got the FP they clicked on and hit confirm. This is what it looks like (in between these pics are the names of the people who you are making FP's for):

20190330_122411.jpg 20190331_001435.jpg

Disney has far far far too many guests to go with 100% dynamic availability. It's ridiculous for them to even consider this. I mean even theaters remove seats from inventory for a certain about of time when you're in the process of selecting and they have far fewer people competing for the same seats at the same time. You want to make it 15 seconds? Fine. 10 seconds? Fine. But there has to be at least a limited amount of time where you can get what is presented. If in fact, the screen is 50% or more out of date within seconds of it appearing on your screen - it's a complete system failure. Whether it's what they intended or not - it's a failure.

Disney has far far far too many guests to go with 100% dynamic availability. It's ridiculous for them to even consider this. I mean even theaters remove seats from inventory for a certain about of time when you're in the process of selecting and they have far fewer people competing for the same seats at the same time. You want to make it 15 seconds? Fine. 10 seconds? Fine. But there has to be at least a limited amount of time where you can get what is presented. If in fact, the screen is 50% or more out of date within seconds of it appearing on your screen - it's a complete system failure. Whether it's what they intended or not - it's a failure.

I've been selecting times in under a second and still not getting them. Essentially by the time you see it there's a high probability that it no longer exists. Now factor in any amount of scrolling to see what is "available" and your chances get even worse.

100% agree!

But if your goal was to make your system a failure to get people to buy into a better one, it's probably a huge success.

Someone else somewhere I read today called this evil genius. I'm hoping it's more bumbling Goofy than Maleficent but ...

Last edited:

I've been selecting times in under a second and still not getting them. Essentially by the time you see it there's a high probability that it no longer exists. Now factor in any amount of scrolling to see what is "available" and your chances get even worse.
I cannot for the life of me understand why Disney would want to dangle that carrot in front of numerous guests only to create multiple consecutive moments of disappointment!

I'm just amazed at all these changes going on the year I decide to visit Disney again. I didn't know squat about refresh on our 2015 trip, but we were still successful in the rides we did. Didn't do any standby longer than 30 minutes. I suppose I can put the same strategy into effect on our June trip. Rope drop every morning, utilize the FPs that we do have and just hope for the best.
I guess we can just all hope that this is something that happened because of the update they did. I didn't see that I had one on my Android. But that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Most often apps will update and I don't know it unless my phone is close by and I catch it.

@JETSDAD Thank you for providing the pics! Glad to know there is the option to keep what you have, and knowing I will need to be paying more attention to what the screen says. I have (only a couple times) in the past celebrated my good fortune over a dining res. only to realize I made it for tomorrow instead of 60 days from now. Yeah, I had to call Disney to cancel and explain. So, the idea is to be even faster while maintaining constant vigilance? Lol, I'm going to have to up my game.

guess we can just all hope that this is something that happened because of the update they did. I didn't see that I had one on my Android. But that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Most often apps will update and I don't know it unless my phone is close by and I catch it.
That's kinda what I was hoping too, but I heard reports that this issue was across multiple platforms, website included....

Haha I did find some earlier, just hadn't been having luck tonight. I've actually had decent luck tonight at MK with FP's.

Maybe at MK it's easier? Perhaps because of the number of rides. That's where I'm hoping to be able to do most of my refreshing. That's the park I'm hoping to do a few rides mulitple times. I'm not too concerned about AK as we only have 3 rides we really want to do and I'm booking FPs for those. Was going to look for a fourth one on the Kali River and that would be it for the day! EPCOT...again...only three rides there really interested in....FEA, TT, and Soarin'. Yes I know....all tier 1s. Was going to FP TT, rope drop FEA and stand by Soarin after doing TT. After that, only looking for a fourth FP on the Character Meet with Mickey and the gang. I can only hope I suppose.

That's kinda what I was hoping too, but I heard reports that this issue was across multiple platforms, website included....

Oh yeah. I forgot people were having trouble on the actual website too. Oh well.....just hoping as JETSDAD said, I can have better luck in MK, that's the only park I'm really looking to do a lot of refreshing in.

The kiosks in the park might still be working for extra FP, but for people who park hop that won't work, either.

I cannot for the life of me understand why Disney would want to dangle that carrot in front of numerous guests only to create multiple consecutive moments of disappointment!

This is why I really hope this is a mistake and not a purposeful change. Given the number of people looking at fps at any given time, for every one person who happily picks up an extra tier 1, there are dozens (hundreds?) who are pissed that they couldn't grab it.

I'm also dreading FP morning issues. Have there been reports of anyone having their 60 days today? If disney is changing the system like this for same day, I would assume it works similarly 60 days out. How many people are going to think they have FoP or SDD only to have it error at the next screen?

This is seriously such a bummer. I hate that they changed this (and 4.5 weeks before our next trip).

I’ve got an AP so I’m goung to play around and see for myself today how hard it is.

Everyone can keep saying it's a glitch, but I honestly don't think it is. They are working on changing the system.

I hope I am wrong and I will gladly eat crow if so.

I think you're right and it was done on purpose.

My hope (wish? dream? delusion?) is that they didn't think through just how bad of a customer experience it would create and will revert the changes.

I'm also dreading FP morning issues. Have there been reports of anyone having their 60 days today? If disney is changing the system like this for same day, I would assume it works similarly 60 days out. How many people are going to think they have FoP or SDD only to have it error at the next screen?

Today was 60 days out for me. I haven't booked FP in years, so I don't have much to compare it to. I booked FP on my computer. I didn't have any problems (I don't think!). Every time slot I clicked on was confirmed. I had a few other wonky issues (like the app showing that I had FP for attractions that I had canceled, thus showing me that I had 2 FoP on one day, which can't happen).

My hope (wish? dream? delusion?) is that they didn't think through just how bad of a customer experience it would create and will revert the changes.

I hope so, too. I can't remember if they've ever walked something back before for bad press/reaction from guests. I feel like there was something in the past.

Everyone can keep saying it's a glitch, but I honestly don't think it is. They are working on changing the system.

I hope I am wrong and I will gladly eat crow if so.

I hope so, too. I can't remember if they've ever walked something back before for bad press/reaction from guests. I feel like there was something in the past.

Agreed on all counts. I’m not convinced this isn’t on purpose, or at the very least the fallout of something else they are trying to change. If I’m wrong, I’ll join you in eating crow (will we need an ADR for that?).

If it’s the latter, it’s more likely we’ll see it fixed (but not necessarily), but if it’s the former I’m not so sure. An earlier reply regarding the CM’s response to pp about making it fair for all users leads me to believe they are aware and that this isn’t changing.

But, here’s hoping! I have 40 days to go and there have been so many glitches/ policy changes/ policy changes that aren’t really policy changes but actually glitches while planning this trip I’ve lost track (and we were just there in late September).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter