Meal plans, tipping, and other esoterica.

Dreamfinder2

DIS Veteran
Gosh, I should be working, but...

I know that a gratuity is included in the DDP. There's been some discussion as to whether or not the fixed amount encourages lax service on the part of the server, who thinks "I'm getting 15% or whatever anyway." I don't guess there's any objective way to see if that's true.

Anyway ... seems that I recall that once upon a time, tips were given prior to being served, to insure promptness on the part of the server. Maybe that's an urban legend.

Still, if you were anticipating a special dining experience at a signature restaurant, would it be too tacky to say to your server, "We're on the dining plan. But this is a special night for us, and I know that you'll take good care of us," and pass them a little extra up front.

The one time I tried this, I felt we were treated like royalty. But I don't want to be guilty of some breach of etiquette or to offend anyone. Whaddya think? I'm just askin'.

I can understand where your coming from. For my taste that may be a little stong to offer that upfront. You have to remember that these people are some of the best trained customer service people in the world, and will treat you well without the extra. I think how ever if you did it with some humor it may may be well recieved. Something like "As well trained as you people are 15% tip on the dining plan is a little Mickey Mouse...I'm sure we can do better." I think this kind of approch lets them know you expect great service and are willing to pay more for it. My opinion is keep it light.

Yeah, Nalabell, that's sort of where I was coming from ... I wouldn't want to imply that I was expecting BAD service. I was thinking more along the lines of "thanks in advance." We have a friend who serves as a hostess at a well-known, sorta exclusive local restaurant, and she says that customers without reservations who try to slip her extra money for seating come across as gauche (her words.)

Formernyer, you just answered a question I've been wondering about. We've not been to WDW since the dining plan was made available to DVC members, and I'm looking forward to a test drive.

There are many who feel that high-quality service happens because of the threat of a poor gratuity otherwise. Others feel that most servers will do a good job or not based on their capability rather than because driven by threat. It's hard to know where reality is. I rather prefer having control over the gratuity, but the dining plan will save us so much money that I'm willing to give that up, knowing that if service is really bad Disney will make good, if not any other way, simply by not charging the TS credit for the meal if I get poor service.

You might try something like.... "I know that the dining plan includes tip, but I'm used to tipping based on service - is it possible for me to add an additional tip via my room charge?" That opens up the possibility for an additional tip without giving it in advance (which tacky or not gives them no incentive to provide better service than the DDP - they've alreay *got* the tip, after all).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter