• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Measles Vaccination Check in Future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HollyH

Are we there yet!!!!!
Curious. Given the current outbreak, does anyone think in the future we may need to provide proof of measles vaccination prior to embarkation or at the very least have records with you?

Seriously contemplating a booster prior to our Sept 2019 cruise. We're in our 60s, have no idea if the vaccine we received as children in the 1960s would be effective if we were exposed. It's not a panic thing, it's a piece of mind thing.

Thoughts?

I read that if you had them in the 50s and 60s that you’re safe because it was a two shot vaccine. When it went down to one shot is when people should consider getting another one. I would talk to your doctor about it.

I've read that if you were alive before '57, you've probably been exposed to the virus. But those who got it between then and '69 (I think) only got the one shot and should update.

I know I'm going to ask my doctor what she thinks the next time I'm in there. I'd rather not get measles. As I recall, it was way worse than the mumps or chicken pox, both of which I had as a child. heh... to this day, the smell of that chicken pox ointment brings back memories of itching in bed and feeling generally crappy.

Anyway, check with your doctor and see what the recommendation is in your area.

Curious. Given the current outbreak, does anyone think in the future we may need to provide proof of measles vaccination prior to embarkation or at the very least have records with you?

Seriously contemplating a booster prior to our Sept 2019 cruise. We're in our 60s, have no idea if the vaccine we received as children in the 1960s would be effective if we were exposed. It's not a panic thing, it's a piece of mind thing.

Thoughts?

They should!
It's irresponsible and bordering on criminal if you or your child are not vaccinated and have been exposed to measles.
Measles is no joke, it's a life threatening and highly contagious disease.
If I was the president of the DCL I'd make it mandatory to show proof of vaccination to embark.
This is such a serious issue that in fact I may write a letter to the DCL about it.

I was born in 1967 and my doctor just gave me a vaccine for the mumps, measles, rubella and tetanus.

I originally just inquired about getting a tetanus shot since I hadn’t had one since 1985. She suggested I get the combination vaccine to protect me from all of the above since my original vaccines were long gone - her words.

I will admit that I do feel safer having the new vaccine with all of the measles outbreaks around the country.

Pretty sure I don't have records of my childhood vaccinations, so I wouldn't have proof of them. I do know (but again no proof) that I got a booster Measles shot in college (sometime between 1989-1991) as there was an outbreak and they said the shots we got as kids weren't good enough. (I was born in 1970.)

my doctor just gave me a vaccine for the mumps, measles, rubella and tetanus

As a single-shot? I'm not aware of a combination "MMR + Tetanus" vaccine on the US market. Tetanus booster is often administered as a combo Td (which prevents against not only tetanus but also diphtheria) or Tdap (tetanus and diphtheria plus pertussis/whooping cough). But MMR would be a separate needle. If it was a single shot, I recommend contacting the doctor's office to confirm exactly what you received.

As to the OP's question about requiring proof -- yes, it could be required. I don't think that's coming in the immediate future, though, because most cruisers (in general, not just DCL) are well beyond their childhood vaccine years it would be difficult if not impossible to prove without all those people getting updated vaccinations. That could cause supply issues.

There were two versions of the measles vaccine introduced in 1963, a "live" version and a "killed" version. The "killed" version used between 1963 and 1967 was NOT EFFECTIVE.

From the CDC:
If you received a measles vaccine in the 1960s, you may not need to be revaccinated. People who have documentation of receiving LIVE measles vaccine in the 1960s do not need to be revaccinated. People who were vaccinated prior to 1968 with either inactivated (killed) measles vaccine or measles vaccine of unknown type should be revaccinated with at least one dose of live attenuated measles vaccine. This recommendation is intended to protect those who may have received killed measles vaccine, which was available in 1963-1967 and was not effective.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/mmr/public/index.html

They should!
It's irresponsible and bordering on criminal if you or your child are not vaccinated and have been exposed to measles.
Measles is no joke, it's a life threatening and highly contagious disease.
If I was the president of the DCL I'd make it mandatory to show proof of vaccination to embark.
This is such a serious issue that in fact I may write a letter to the DCL about it.

It should be criminal. If I kill or injure someone drunk driving, while careless with a firearm, or while reckless any many other ways, its criminal. How is infecting dozens of others around you with a potentially deadly virus because you believe everything you read on the internet not criminal? /soapbox

I saw this, it's a Scientology cruise ship. All these measles outbreaks are crazy. How long is the shot good for? I don't remember when I got mine, I'm guessing as a child or for college?

Sounds like Darwin at work or Gods plan to me. Whichever you believe. And yes Im angry about the whole measles thing.

Last edited:
As to the OP's question about requiring proof -- yes, it could be required. I don't think that's coming in the immediate future, though, because most cruisers (in general, not just DCL) are well beyond their childhood vaccine years it would be difficult if not impossible to prove without all those people getting updated vaccinations. That could cause supply issues.
I agree. I know I had 2 shots as a child and am covered but I could never prove it. Who knows where those records are.

My daughter's pediatrician kicked her out of the practice when she was in college; she was out of state and they wouldn't let me get her shot records since she was over 18. They gave me a month notice but it was one of those things that we never got around to, so I have no idea where her records are. I know I did get all of her shots on time, and she is immune (she is married, 1 kid and 1 on the way so her OB tested her) but no real proof of it. Come to think of it, my other kids transferred doctors but I don't know if the shot records made the jump.
I have a little file card in my jewelry box that my mom wrote down every time I got a chidhood shot...why wasn't I that good of a mother? ;)

I've read that if you were alive before '57, you've probably been exposed to the virus.
Probably....... My sisters both got rubella and measles as children, me - no. In fact one sister got rubella twice (last time in high school), I still didn't get it. I think I recall getting a "measles shot" (don't know MMR, or other, killed or live). When I got married we had to get a blood test. It showed I had no immunity to rubella. So got a "measles shot" then (mid 1980s). In 2015 I was tested for titres. It shows I'm immune to rubella and measles, but not mumps (something else both my sisters got as children, but not me).

How long is the shot good for?
Technically, indefinately, but it's a good idea to have your titres checked once in a while.

We were docked next to that ship last year. It was so eerie. There was nobody on the decks. It was like a ghost ship.

I just read that. What a mess. I had mumps, measles, and rubella and chicken pox back in the dark ages before vaccines for them were invented, so I should be good to go.

I recommend still getting your titers checked. It's rare but sometimes even if you've had those illnesses you may not have immunity. I had a very mild case of chicken pox as a child so when I get my titers done for measles I plan to also get it done for chicken pox. I'm concerned that the case I had wasn't enough to confer immunity.

I had measles, mumps and rubella as a child but my doctor also had me vaccinated with MMR anyway about 20-ish (?) years ago. He said that it wasn't possible to know if I still had immunity from them given that it was so long ago and that I didn't know how mild or bad they were.

I recall a few years ago that some European countries required proof of measles vaccination upon entry but I can't recall which ones or exactly what year and it was, I think, only for a short period of time. So, it's not impossible that proof could be required at some point. I usually travel with my vaccination record just in case because of that and make sure that I keep it up-to-date including all travel immunizations. I looked at it the other day and realized that, while I did Hep A, I never got my Hep B so I'll probably have to start that over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter