• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Measles Vaccination Check in Future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I can’t imagine they would require that. They have their health form that is required to help prevent illness.

I could see them adding a question about exposure to measles on there. Was it H1N1 where they added a question for a while?

Of course, just as some people will lie on the form about stomach stuff, they probably would about measles as well.

I just got my titers checked. I have you young kids, I travel, and I feel like every day there is a new story of measles some place, sometimes close to where I live.

If I didn’t have immunity I would have gotten the vaccine. If your worried get yours checked.

Last edited:
Before our grandkids were born, our kids pediatrician recommended the grandparents check with their docs to be sure we were up to date on vaccinations.
If you are not sure, just call your doc and ask them to check your medical records.

just call your doc and ask them to check your medical records.
That's not always feasible.

I grew up in a military family. We moved every 12-18 months until I was 10 years old. Since then, I've had at least 5 different doctors, in 4 different cities.

My whole medical record isn't in any one place, and I'm certain it would pretty difficult to get the ones from my childhood. All I have is a yellow shot record to "verify" that at one time I had a shot.

But, even that's not reliable, as I was exposed to measles every time my sisters got them, and I had a measles shot in high school. When I got married, they were still requiring blood tests, and mine showed I had no immunity to rubella. So I got another measles shot. Just for the record, my doctor checked my titres a few years ago, and I now have immunity to measles and rubella, but not mumps.

You never know if it's going to "take" or not.

I now have immunity to measles and rubella, but not mumps.

You never know if it's going to "take" or not.
Just because titer results say "no immunity" doesn't mean you aren't really immune. The test only looks at b cell response. But, if you only do a t cell response to the vaccine, the titer won't show it, even though you are immune.

T cell responses is actually better, ironically. So some people with negative titers have the best immunity.

I don't remember if I got a measles vaccine or not. I do remember getting the measles, chicken pox and small pox.

does anyone think in the future we may need to provide proof of measles vaccination
What about those people who don't need a vaccination, due to actually having the disease? How do they prove they're immune?

I doubt that it will be required. But, maybe a question included on the heath questionnaire regarding it? Of course, those cruise lines that no longer use a health questionnaire - that's not going to work. And, of course, people will lie about it anyway.

I do know (but again no proof) that I got a booster Measles shot in college (sometime between 1989-1991) as there was an outbreak and they said the shots we got as kids weren't good enough. (I was born in 1970.)
I was also born in 1970 and when I went to graduate school in 1999 I had to get a booster measles shot also. There had been a measles outbreak at the college a few years before I went there so they made it a requirement to actually attend school there once accepted. Now with all of these outbreaks, I'm very glad to know that I had that shot.

While I agree that everyone who can safely be vaccinated should be, expecting all passengers to provide proof of vaccination is simply unrealistic. I could not begin to tell you where my vaccination records are (I'm 56), which is going to be the case for a lot of people in that age bracket. I'm pretty sure "my mother who died two years ago assured me that I was" isn't going to count as proof, but it's all I've got.

Can you imagine having to get all of the shots that kids nowadays are supposed to have if you can't prove what you have gotten:faint: My son's vac list is multiple pages. I would have to consider giving up traveling, because I am terribly phobic of needles, like pass out, having nightmares kind of stuff. Had to get a gamma globulin shot as a young kid for potential exposure to hepatitis. My mom said the needle was really thick and that the serum was thick too:scared1: I tried to escape off the table with the needle in my arm. I don't actually remember it. Anyway, having to get all of those would be a real bad scene for me. I know I got whatever was recommended or required.

If you and your family have had the vaccine............does it really matter if anyone else has or not?? You are protected whether the ship is full of vaccinated people or not.

If you havent had the vaccine, then you could be exposed to the same measles infected people that you would be exposed to on land.

Maybe I am looking at this all wrong?

If you and your family have had the vaccine............does it really matter if anyone else has or not?? You are protected whether the ship is full of vaccinated people or not.

If you havent had the vaccine, then you could be exposed to the same measles infected people that you would be exposed to on land.

Maybe I am looking at this all wrong?

While in theory yes that makes complete sense, some people can not get the vaccine, and sometimes the vaccine becomes less effective over time. Yes if your vaccinated for the most part you are safe. However there have been cases where vaccinated people still get the disease, but usually much milder.

While in theory yes that makes complete sense, some people can not get the vaccine, and sometimes the vaccine becomes less effective over time. Yes if your vaccinated for the most part you are safe. However there have been cases where vaccinated people still get the disease, but usually much milder.
That makes sense for sure but if you limit those coming on board to those that have proof that they have been vaccinated................then anyone that can not get the vaccine will not be allowed on board.

That makes sense for sure but if you limit those coming on board to those that have proof that they have been vaccinated................then anyone that can not get the vaccine will not be allowed on board.

Oh for sure! I’m not sure what the requirements around vaccines and cruising should be. But I see why people still would be worried even if vaccinated. I’m worried, I’m vaccinated and had my titers check just 2 weeks ago. It’s scary!

Curious. Given the current outbreak, does anyone think in the future we may need to provide proof of measles vaccination prior to embarkation or at the very least have records with you?

Seriously contemplating a booster prior to our Sept 2019 cruise. We're in our 60s, have no idea if the vaccine we received as children in the 1960s would be effective if we were exposed. It's not a panic thing, it's a piece of mind thing.

Thoughts?

If it makes you feel more safe, go for it.

Ship happens. I prefer taking the risk of having vaccines than taking a chance of being sick with any of those crappy diseases.

-Signed: the girl who missed her flu shot and was bed-ridden for two weeks because of the flu in February 2019.
You hit the nail on the head: it is completely a question of risk mitigation.

If that flu vaccine you missed had given you Encephalitis, you might very well wish you had been bed ridden with the flu for 2 weeks.

-Signed: one who has a close relative get encephalitis from a vaccine, and was warned if they ever get that vaccine again (or one "close enough" in how their immune system recognizes it) it very well may kill them.

You hit the nail on the head: it is completely a question of risk mitigation.

If that flu vaccine you missed had given you Encephalitis, you might very well wish you had been bed ridden with the flu for 2 weeks.

-Signed: one who has a close relative get encephalitis from a vaccine, and was warned if they ever get that vaccine again (or one "close enough" in how their immune system recognizes it) it very well may kill them.

As I said... Ship happens (and that remains extremely rare, while flu is rampant every year). And you can also get severe complications from the flu.

"Pick your poison"?

As I said... Ship happens (and that remains extremely rare, while flu is rampant every year). And you can also get severe complications from the flu.

"Pick your poison"?
My issue is with the idea of getting extra vaccinations "just in case." Extra vaccinations have absolutely zero benefit, but some real risk.

Actually, I have two issues.

My other issue is with the purposeful decision to encourage a complete lack of informed consent in order to promote the idea of vaccine safety and greater population compliance. As a result, parents are unaware of the real risks and, consequently, the early symptoms of these complications. This lack of awareness does result in children not being rushed to the hospital at the first sign of these symptoms, leading to more catastrophic outcomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter