medical insurance question

lmj

Mouseketeer
I'm sorry to ask for help when up till now I've been more of a lurker than anything else, but I am really confused. My husband just got one of the new federal airport security jobs so we will have insurance through him. (YEAH!!!) I have to decide between a few federal blue cross options and I'm a little concerned about signing up for a plan with a deductible that requires us to pay a percentage of the cost of medical services rather than a straight copay. This is the only plan that would include even limitted dental coverage. We three kids under 7 that is pretty important to me. I'm just looking to see if any one who might have this type of coverage could offer any advice. Thanks so much for any help.

We have Blue Cross Blue Shield. On some basic stuff, we pay a copay. On other stuff, we pay a percentage, but there's a maximum out-of-pocket limit. Ours is pretty good. You can only pay $2000/person out-of-pocket each year. I have to pay 15% of my maternity costs, but I like knowing that it won't be over $2000. Even if I have to pay the full amount for both me and the baby, $4000 isn't really that much.

I don't have the federal plan, but...

most dental insurance is very limited. figure out what the cost of dental care is. if your expected dental care costs exceed the deductible and the % you'd have to pay to see a doctor, the plan is worth it to you. if your usual dental costs are less thna the deductible, it's not worth choosing that plan just to get the dental insurance.

I have found that you can often find very reasonable dental plans without having to go through an employer, and depending on your anticipated medical bills (we have two kids, I'm relieved we can sort of predict copays) you may be better off picking a medical plan that best suits your family needs and then getting dental from someplace else.

Is there some kind of HR person you can contact to ask them your questions?

Medical insurance is so complicated these days that you should educate yourself the best you can.

Oh and congratulations on your DH getting the job. :)

I think you need to find out what the diferences are othe then just indemnity vs copay. Federal Policies are somewhat if not very restrictive. I agree with poster that said to talk with an HR person.

Which would you use more? Medical or Dental insurance? If you're looking at the Dental due to Braces make sure its a good plan that covers a good portion and such, if not then try for one of the Dental plans that you can get on the side, and for medical insurance, if you will use that more, wouldn't it be better to get a plan that pays more with you paying less out of pocket expenses? Deductibles and out of pocket expenses can add up and lots of places want it all up front and no payments. If you have a 250 deductible per child and then plus the parents thats 1250 right there! then add up the rest that could be out of pocket and you have a nice chunk of change.
I'd go with the one that covers more and only has the co-pay, and check on Dental plans that you can get on your own.
In fact you can check with your dentists office on who has a good plan with good coverage, thats what I did,and they were really helpful in helping me to pick out which one to go with.
I did a fast search on google and this is one of the sights it came up with
http://www.dental-resources.com/insure2.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter