Mediterranean Cruise Room Availability

TXAg83

Earning My Ears
Been almost a year and a half since our last DCL cruise. Need to use our place holder by the end of the summer. We're thinking of doing our first Mediterranean cruise, specifically the one that leaves on June 10. Just looking at veranda room availability it just seems there are a lot of cabins still open. Any thoughts on why? I would have thought it would be almost sold out by now.

Also airline tickets are crazy expensive at the moment (we’re planning to do a Med cruise next summer, so I’ve been looking at prices to try to budget).

Just a heads up, the June 10 sailing just became available as a military rate this week. No guarantees, but it might become available at a general discount rate soon. I know you have a placeholder to use, but if you’re targeting that sailing, you might get a better rate if you’re willing to do a guaranteed rate room.

I don't know if people were turned off by reports of Europe last summer with the heat and crowds. We went, and it turned us off from going in the summer again. Luckily, DS will be off to college soon, and we can go whenever we want. Hotel rooms seemed expensive last summer too.

The airfare. We are booked. Biting the bullet on a trip I have waited to take since covid -twice cancelled. And postponed twice due to airfare and the crazy travel after covid. Cheaper? sort of, as it was due to be a college grad trip for my kids back then. Now- all too busy with work. Last year with airfare for 4 the cost of flying almost exceeded the cost of the cruise itself. We are on the June 1st sailing, so hoping heat won't be terrible, but you never know. Staterooms have moved to guaranteed.

I had been planning on the 7 night med cruise out of Rome in June and after looking at flight prices, I just couldn't stomach it. Airfare this summer is rough.

Airfare still high Takes all the fun away from planning when you blow the budget just on getting there.
:sad2:

The timing of your cruise in June falls within the shoulder season for Mediterranean cruises, which means it's not peak travel time. This could be why there are more cabins available than expected. Additionally, the ongoing global situation might be impacting travel plans for some, leading to more availability.

It could be a great opportunity for you to secure a fantastic room and enjoy a more relaxed experience with fewer crowds. If you're interested in exploring more cruise options, you might want to check out https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-from-baltimore-maryland.html, which offer a variety of destinations and experiences for your next adventure!

Last edited:
The timing of your cruise in June falls within the shoulder season for Mediterranean cruises, which means it's not peak travel time. This could be why there are more cabins available than expected. Additionally, the ongoing global situation might be impacting travel plans for some, leading to more availability.
They were discounted last year too. They over price them. June is actually peak travel for most families. School is out the end of May and restarts the beginning of August. Most college kids get out the beginning of May.

They were discounted last year too. They over price them. June is actually peak travel for most families. School is out the end of May and restarts the beginning of August. Most college kids get out the beginning of May.
This is true in a lot of places, but not universal - some schools are in session through mid-June (the family we often travel with lives in MA, and they are in session through then, while we're usually out by Memorial Day).

B
This is true in a lot of places, but not universal - some schools are in session through mid-June (the family we often travel with lives in MA, and they are in session through then, while we're usually out by Memorial Day).
Because I'm a data nerd: https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/08/25/back-to-school-dates-u-s/

😂
This has charts showing back-to-school dates ranging from late July through early September in significant proportions of U.S. school districts - assuming end-of-school-year dates also range similarly (with fairly consistent lengths of summer breaks), end of year could range from mid-May through mid-June depending on the region/district.

I agree with you. Our Med was in early June and we were just ahead of the major tourist season according to everyone we spoke with in Rome and other ports. Even when schools are out, it seems many people don't jump straight into vacation that first or second week.

We had the added benefit of tourism not being 100% back post covid. For example, many Asia countries weren't even allowing leisure travel yet. We really lucked out on experiencing Rome, Athens, and many other great places with minimal crowds. Plus, a Magic ship that was probably only 60-70% full. It was fantastic.

Also, the majority of European countries doesn’t start summer school holidays until July and more or less none start before mid June.

Did I say it was Universal? No, but June and early July are prime vacation times for Americans Disney just overprices their cruises. We cruised in August on Disney in Europe and it was heavily discounted and this is when all Europe is off on vacation. I would say a good portion of the US is out of school in May certainly enough to drive up airfare in June.

Last edited:
B

Because I'm a data nerd: https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/08/25/back-to-school-dates-u-s/

😂
This has charts showing back-to-school dates ranging from late July through early September in significant proportions of U.S. school districts - assuming end-of-school-year dates also range similarly (with fairly consistent lengths of summer breaks), end of year could range from mid-May through mid-June depending on the region/district.
You can't be serious.

You can't be serious.
Why so combative? Yes I’m serious. I didn’t say you were wrong about Disney overpricing the European cruises. In fact, I’m counting on it (we’re planning to go next June and are waiting to book until military discounts drop). No need to be so snippy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter