Melanoma and having a hard time....

jking6

DIS Veteran
What a start of the new year.. I had a physical the middle of Jan. Nurse Practioner found a spot. Had a biopsy the next day. Found out it was Melanoma. was at dermotologist next day. They said I needed surgery because of the depth. I saw a surgeon 2 weeks later and again last week for pre-op. March 16th they are taking a spot off the size of a fingernail but the size they are cutting off is the size of a tennis ball.
Skin graph needed from my thigh and they are injecting dye and making a 4 inch incision in my groin area to biopsy the lymph nodes. I will be in the hospital for at least 3 days.
flat in bed for 2 weeks after. I have my Disney trip planned for May 14th. 1st trip with my grandsons. Dr. daid he is not sure I will be able to fly that soon because of air pressure and the skin graph. has anyone heard of this?
I failed to mention I fall in the cracks with no health insurance. My husband and I both work. He works small construction business (no family insurance) I lost my full time job last Aug. due to down sizing and am only working part time. No insurance for part time employees.
Should I feel quilty not canceling my trip. It was a Christmas gift to my youngest daughter. I pray every day I can wake up and start the year over and wish none of this happened. I am 51 and lost my dad to due cancer when he was 51. (only had a few months when we found out)
I am scared to death is it normal to cry every day? I try to be strong when my family is around but its killing me inside. Is there a support group for this type issue.

Sending you a :hug: and lots of prayers. Ask your hospital social worker about support groups or contact the american cancer society. They might be able tohelp with expenses that are medically related.

I dont know what to say about the trip. I had 7 operations in 2009. 3 of those were for cancer. We had to postpone our trip for a while. Disney will always be there. My health came first.

I live in NY too and have seen the commericials on tv for the new Bridge program. Its first come, first served for pre existing conditions, sounds like you might qualify? It would be something to look into. I know they have a toll free number. I have called them about stuff for my ds to get him ins. last year and they are really helpful.

Wishing you all the best.

:hug: I am sorry to hear this, but glad you are getting it taken care of.

I don't know how to respond about your insurance or your trip. I 'think' I would still go on the trip, but I honestly don't know.

I had many health issues in the past 2 years, and what helped get me through it all, was planning a vacation as soon as it was possible.

My last brain surgery, I did have to wait 3 months to fly. My Dr said it was ok, but god forbid I got sick somewhere, my insurance probably would not have covered it.

I do think it is normal to cry everyday. The range of emotions is very deep, and very real. Try to google for specific support groups. This forum is exceptionally helpful IMHO, and we are all here for you at any time you need it :grouphug:

I am sorry you lost your father so young, that certainly adds to your worry.

Try not to be superwoman with your family. I did not weep or show my fears to them, but we were a team, and discussed it at length. My children were also worried, and this helped us all along.

Please keep us updated when and if you can, and remember ANYTIME :hug:

I am so sorry to hear that you are facing this difficult health challenge and I hope you are able to get some help with medical costs. Crying is perfectly normal and it is OK to be scared, we all are when we face a medical crisis.

Can you decide what to do about the trip later? I would be guided by your doctors but maybe you could consider driving if they feel that flying is going to be a problem.

melanomafoundation.org provides online support and also has a list of support groups that are specifically for those dealing with melanoma.

I am thinking of you and your family:grouphug:

Quasar

Wow, you've had a lot to deal with in a short amount of time. I am truly sorry. I will pray for you. :hug:

Sending prayers and pixie dust your way.:grouphug:

Sending you hugs :hug: and saying prayers for you.

Please also call the American Cancer Society. They may be able to help. My husband is a 7 time melanoma survivor. He started with melanoma in 1999 and is still battling it today. Cancer is like a roller coaster ride, it is perfectly normal to cry as a caregiver I cry too.

We have worked with hospitals before for payments so no interest was charged and was paid over a few years.

I wish you the best.

thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. My surgery was last wednesday the 16th I did not get out of the hospital until yesterday afternoon the 22nd. home resting with toes above the nose for the next week but the good news is that the pathology report came back and it has NOT reached my lymphnodes. Dr says skin graph looks good and health nurse from the county comes in once a day to change bandages. Thank you all very much.....

THANK YOU FOR THE WONDERFUL UPDATE :goodvibes

What fabulous news. Take care of YOU my dear, and more gentle hugs. I am so happy for you :hug:

So pleased the news is good:cool1:

Good to hear you are resting, time to watch some girly movies.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery:grouphug:

Quasar

So glad you are home and recovering. Just take it one day at a time.

Great news about the lymph nodes. :)

So happy so happy to hear the surgery went well and you are on the mend! I pray they continue to go well.

I just wanted to update everyone. Progress has been slow I have been battleing infection, swelling and other compications. When I came home they sent a county nurse into my home everyday, well to make a long story short she did not follow the discharge instructions and was putting the wrong bandage on the open wound. this caused part of the skin graph to dry up and die. I have been since March 16th in bed for he most part wth toes above the nose. inection set in and it has been a long haul so far.
I went to the doctors yesterday got some good and some bad news. the bad news first is it could be 6 more weeks before the wound is healed and until then I can only do minimal walking.
The good news is I got the ok to fly to Disney this weekend with my family. I will have to use a scooter all the time but I think the change is scenery will be nice.
I have found out that the Melanoma started in a mole. So please for anyone who as ever got a sunburn in the past or used a tanning bed please have all your moles checked. I have a large hole in my leg Tennis ball size or larger and a 4 inch incision in my groin area where lymph nodes were remove and a 4x4 red scare where donor site came from. The open wound is the worse very sick to look at if someone needs a eyeopening experience I will send pics in private message of the wound site.
Watch out Disney as It will be my first experience driving a scooter.....

Enjoy Disney and totally agree on the point of if you have moles wear sunscreen and get them checked regularly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter