Memphis area Dissers

I had friends who stayed there last year, and they had no complaints...and they loved the complimentary breakfast fare. Walking or using the trolleys will definitely be handy.

Now I have reservations at comfort inn downtown and the Fairfield inn near the mall with lots of time to make a final decision. Thank you so much again.

Now I have reservations at comfort inn downtown and the Fairfield inn near the mall with lots of time to make a final decision. Thank you so much again.

I have stayed in both hotels. I'm not sure how long you are going to be in Memphis but because you are doing the tourist thing mostly, I would really recommend comfort inn downtown.

The traffic can be a little challenging trying to get in and out of town and if you were driving at night trying to get back to the Fairfield and got turned around, you could end up in some shady areas quickly.

The Fairfield is just a hotel to stop on the way in my opinion and the comfort inn because it is downtown will have you down in the thick of doing things and out about convenient to go back to your room more often.

I have lived in Memphis all of my 57 years. I have never been to Graceland, Stax museum, Sun Records or the Civil Rights Museum. I don't care for Beale St. or The Rendezvous"s ribs. That's why I'm in the process of moving to Florida. I'm like a fish out of water here. I'm a beach and theme park person. I don't care to stick around and see The Pyramid become the world's biggest bait shop (Bass Pro). I do like the zoo but haven't been in years. Some people love it here though so that being said hope you have a great trip!

Wow, are we long lost twins?! I am also 57 and could have written the exact same thing, except I did live in another state for a few years, and I'm moving to Orange Beach Al instead of Florida.

Hope your trip is wonderful, pooch!

Wow, are we long lost twins?! I am also 57 and could have written the exact same thing, except I did live in another state for a few years, and I'm moving to Orange Beach Al instead of Florida.

Hope your trip is wonderful, pooch!

Good to have company! Been trying for 3 years to get away from here. Hopefully this is our year. Good luck on your move as well. Orange Beach is a great place!

We always stay near Beale St....Holiday inn, Doubletree, Hampton Inn, Westin, The Peabody and The Madison are just a few possibilities. Most everything, that you'd want to do, is downtown. No need to drive, after an evening of Blues, BBQ and adult beverages. ;)

Good to have company! Been trying for 3 years to get away from here. Hopefully this is our year. Good luck on your move as well. Orange Beach is a great place!

Thanks Couch Tater, I sign a listing agreement with a realtor tomorrow! Hoping for a quick sell but with all the wackiness happening in Shelby county (I'm in the unincorporated part of the county) who knows how long it will take. The insurance agent we've used for years just moved to Orange Beach from east Memphis this week. I'm thinking of starting a former Memphian club down there :goodvibes

And to put this tread back on topic (sorry), I recommend staying downtown, that's where the blues are and all the other things you might want to do. You'd waste too much time driving downtown from the Wolfchase area.
If you or your husband like craft beers or microbrews, I recommend The Flying Saucer.

http://www.beerknurd.com/stores/memphis/

Thanks Couch Tater, I sign a listing agreement with a realtor tomorrow! Hoping for a quick sell but with all the wackiness happening in Shelby county (I'm in the unincorporated part of the county) who knows how long it will take. The insurance agent we've used for years just moved to Orange Beach from east Memphis this week. I'm thinking of starting a former Memphian club down there :goodvibes

Hoping to get our place listed in the next two weeks. Don't have a realtor yet either. Was hoping sooner but we had such a long winter it threw my schedule off getting it ready. Like you hoping we sell quickly but the houses here haven't been moving very fast. We're in Bartlett. Found us a house we're crazy about just hoping it's still on the market when we sell. Have watched many good ones come and go since we started.

we are staying at the Comfort Inn Downtown, flights are booked, rental car reserved. Now looking at what to do when.

1. How about a paddleboat cruise down (or up!) the Mississippi?

2. Good BBQ restaurant close to the airport? We land at 7:15 (8:15 our time) and I know we'll be hungry!! Leonards?

questions 3 thru 287 to follow!!!

Okay, all of these are good, and all of these are in nice, safe areas.

Hampton Inn is right in the middle if the city, 1 minute from great Corky's BBQ, a couple of minutes from great Huey burgers, right on Poplar which is a main thoroughfare with easy access to everywhere. 15 -20 minutes from downtown (straight down Poplar heading west).

Comfort Inn downtown is close, of course, to everything downtown....Beale, river, Peabody, there's a Huey's downtown, all of the museums (rock and soul, Stax, Blues, etc), close to Rendezvous, trolleys.

All 3 are good choices...maybe check all 3 out on trip advisor??

Right now the trolleys aren't running until they do a safety study on them. From what I understand, it may be several months before they're running again. We were in town last weekend, and it looked like they had buses running to take the place of the trolley routes, though. Still convenient, just not as cool of a ride.

We live about an hour from Memphis and occasionally stay for an overnight when we're in town for a show or event. I've had great luck with Hotwire and Priceline to get reasonable rooms. For what the OP is wanting, I'd look at the Hotwire prices for the downtown area or East Memphis area.

we are staying at the Comfort Inn Downtown, flights are booked, rental car reserved. Now looking at what to do when.

1. How about a paddleboat cruise down (or up!) the Mississippi?

2. Good BBQ restaurant close to the airport? We land at 7:15 (8:15 our time) and I know we'll be hungry!! Leonards?

questions 3 thru 287 to follow!!!

Just saw that you've already booked. I've never been because I've heard it's overrated, but lots of people love Neely's Interstate Barbecue. It's pretty close to the airport. I feel that the Rendezvous is highly overrated for their ribs as well, but if I was visiting the city for the first time, I'd probably go there just for the experience. I agree with other posters about the Germantown Commissary's food. It's great!

Also, don't miss Gus's Fried Chicken. There are several locations in the city, but the one downtown would be the best for the first timer.

There is an Interstate BBQ inside the airport, but it closes at 7:30...... You could head on downtown, though, and eat at Central BBQ on Butler, near the Civil Rights Museum, about 10 minutes or less from Comfort Inn.

We have always enjoyed riding the Memphis Queen riverboat for river cruises. There is a whole new riverfront/buildings/attractions opening this summer, and I have no idea what they will have available .

And check out the website for Mud Island River Park (couple of minutes from the Comfort Inn).....good river museum, love the river walk there.

This might sound like a weird suggestion for a vacation, but why not stop by St. Jude Children's Research Hospital while you're in town? It's very near your hotel and it is such an amazing place! There's a pavilion out front (with a gold dome on top) where you can find a lot of information about the history of the hospital and the awesome things they're doing to combat catastrophic diseases in children (such as cancer and sickle cell disease)...all at no cost to the patients' families. St. Jude is one of the best things Memphis has going for it. :)

We love memphis, it's a two hour drive from us so we go a lot.
Another vote here Memphis Queen. Also a couple of good non BBQ places, Flights and J Alexander's. If something of interest to you is playing at the Orpheum you should go there too. rendezvous is good, but I personally think it is not as good as it used to be. But there are so many great BBQ places in Memphis. We love going to the zoo there too, even without DD.

I don't know what days you are planning on going, but late September early October there are a lot of Blues activities in the Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas range leading up to King Biscuit Blues festival in Helena, I think it starts October 8th this year.

9/27 thru 10/2. If you find a listing of some kind for the activities, or a website, I'd love it!! Thank you all so much!! And DH thought I was crazy asking about Memphis on the DIS!!!

9/27 thru 10/2. If you find a listing of some kind for the activities, or a website, I'd love it!! Thank you all so much!! And DH thought I was crazy asking about Memphis on the DIS!!!

One website is memphistravel.com Where you can sign up for e-newsletters, see upcoming events, and download a Memphis travel app to your phone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter