Memphis area Dissers

I have been doing much planning. Could I get some feedback?

We are staying at the Comfort Inn on North Front Street (told them it was our 35th anniversary [and it is] and hoping for a river view). I have grouped things into "days" without actually figuring out which "day" we will do when.

Day A - Civil Rights Museum - Lunch at Arcade Restaurant - Graceland - Dinner at Marlowes

Day B - Mud Island - Beale Street Landing - Riverboat Cruise (do we need more this day?) Lunch/dinner suggestions?

Day C - Sun and Rock n Soul Studio Tours - Lunch at Rendezvous at Fedex Forum - Beale Street - Rum Boogie Cafe (will probably make this Sunday as Rum Boogie appears to have open mike night sponsored by the Memphis Blues Society on Sundays- looks cool!)

Day D - Memphis Zoo - lunch at Cozy Corner - and because we don't have anything like this is CT -the Bass Pro Shop at the Pyramid. Is it open yet? Is the outdoor ride to the top open?

Day E - Lunch buffet at Leonards Pit BBQ on our way to the airport.

Ok critique and fill in the gaps!!

Sorry. The Bass Pro Shop in the Pyramid is "projected" to open December 1. I don't know if they are on schedule, but that is still not in your time frame.

You will have a heckuva busy day doing Civil Rights and Graceland in one day...start out early!!

I don't know if you will be here on a Friday, but they just announced that they will be showing movies outdoors at Beale St. landing on Friday evenings, on an outdoor screen.

Very good restaurants at Harbortown, on the river. Tugs is great.

On Beale, B. B. Kings is great for Blues, as is Blues City Cafe and Rum Boogie.

If you need another BBQ place, head 20 minutes east straight down Poplar from downtown and find Corky's.......one of the best.

Glad you are including the zoo....one of the best in the country. Don't miss the pandas, Teton Trek , and the polar bear exhibit.

You will have a heckuva busy day doing Civil Rights and Graceland in one day...start out early!!

I don't know if you will be here on a Friday, but they just announced that they will be showing movies outdoors at Beale St. landing on Friday evenings, on an outdoor screen.

Very good restaurants at Harbortown, on the river. Tugs is great.

On Beale, B. B. Kings is great for Blues, as is Blues City Cafe and Rum Boogie.

If you need another BBQ place, head 20 minutes east straight down Poplar from downtown and find Corky's.......one of the best.

Glad you are including the zoo....one of the best in the country. Don't miss the pandas, Teton Trek , and the polar bear exhibit.

Just the info I was looking for! I will go back & try to separate the Civil Rights Museum & Graceland. Unfortunately we won't be there on a Friday but thanks. Where is Harbortown? Close to our Mud Island/River Boat Curise/Beale St Landing day?

You know you are my Memphis Queen now!

Yeah, the Civil Rights Museum is at least 2 hours. It will take a good 30 minutes to find Graceland (excuse the run-down area around Graceland....the entire area is going to get a renovation soon) and there is so much to see on the Graceland tour that it's a good 2-3 hours.

Harbortown is right by the Pyramid, and just a few minutes from your hotel. It is very quaint, lovely to walk around, good restaurants (Tugs and the more expensive Paulette's).

I am also the grandmother of 3 (all boys God help me) and my birthday is September 29th! I will be in Memphis for our birthdays - can I buy you a drink?

I am also the grandmother of 3 (all boys God help me) and my birthday is September 29th! I will be in Memphis for our birthdays - can I buy you a drink?

First, get your itinerary figured out....then I'll see what I can do!

We will definitely be at rum boogie on Sunday night. I will let you know the rest of the week ASAP

New to this thread, but...I might possibly be able to hook you up with some VIP Graceland passes...know the media director...

I have no opinion on the Comfort Inn since I've never been. I would've probably recommended the Westin or at least the Hampton downtown. Out east, I was going to say Embassy Suites on Shady Grove. It's where many from the wedding the royals attended in May stayed. If it's good enough for them... ;)

Anyway, lots of great sites, food and fun here. Enjoy!!

Wow really? That would be awesome, thank you. Let me know what you need from me if that is indeed possible. I am all about the discounts!!!

What can I expect for weather? Here it'll be Los to mid 70's hotter there yes?

Yes. But there is no way to predict what the temps will be at the end of the month (I assume that is still your timetable). It could be 90, it could be 70. Closer to that time, Weather.com will try to predict; they usually give a 10-day forecast.

Thank you all for your help & suggestions. We had a great trip.

And now DH wants to go back in May with his Blues buddies but I am having trouble figuring out when the actual blues festival is. Dates anyone?

Pooch, I don't know how I never saw this thread, but I think we talked via PM. I'm glad you had fun and want to come back.

Music Fest is a great time, but watch out for the rain. It usually rains a lot that weekend, and the parks become very muddy. The shows still go on though, barring severe weather like a tornado. Definitely bring a rain-coat/gear and you'll be fine.

You've gotten good advice already - just wanted to second recs for: Corky's or Central BBQ Stax Sun Studio Graceland (you kind of have to go) other favorite, fun restaurants are: Gus' Fried Chicken Soul Fish Cafe (in Cooper Young, a cute area) Huey's (local burger chain) I recommend the Holiday Inn, University of Memphis for a non-downtown location if you want something less expensive. It's part of the hospitality program and I've only had good luck there. I absolutely wouldn't stay as far away as Germantown or Southaven or outside of (or near) 240. Google map it and you'll see. Enjoy the trip. Memphis is a fantastic city.

I grew up in memphis and second the Holiday Inn at U of M. Great Sunday brunch and food central location.

I also second other posters about Central BBQ and Corkys. Rendezvous is also fun if you like ribs. Good cheese plate there as well.

It will be DH, His coworker & DBr. They are going to drive down (2 truck drivers so they don't care) and stay 4/30 thru 5/4. Got them a suite at spring hill suites right on Main Street for a very good price When we were down in Oct, really liked that location. Walking distance to everything. Any idea when the trolley will begin running again? Their must do restaurants will be Gus' fried chicken, Aldo's (best pizza ever) and rendezvous.

I had missed your update; so glad you had a good time!

The trolley future seems to be uncertain right now, I'm not really sure what is going on with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter