MERCY - I'm going to ARUBA for 7 NIGHTs on 160 DVC points - MARRIOTT Hotel!

Congrats!!!

This is something DH & I have considered doing. Do you mind me asking a couple of questions? Do the points change for certain times of year or is it always 160 pts for 1 bedroom? Can you only book by the week or can you book 4 or 5 nights at a time? Thanks

Enjoy your trip!!!
Generally Aruba is High season week 51-16 and Mid season the rest, at least for the true Marriott timeshares. It actually can vary from one resort to another but in general this info will hold for the Caribbean and Cancun other than Westin and possibly Atlantis will be high year around and Cancun is high season for mid summer as well.

Great news! Congratulations! We visited Aruba on our honeymoon & hope to use II to go back one day...

Question - since you can start looking for a ressie 2 yrs. out - can you borrow ahead on your points for II trades like you can for the DCL cruises or do they have to be coming from your current use year?!
You pay for the option with points in the use year you would be in at the time. The only exception is when you would actually be 2 years ahead and don't have access to the use year in question, you then get to pick which use year to pay in, the current one or the next one. It one applies when you're a full 2 years ahead, say for a Feb use year, you'd have to be Feb 2009 or after for it to come into play. Few II options actually can be had 2 years out even though you can start looking that far out. Most are 12 months or just under. Marriott's are 18 months for fixed week option and 12 months for the rest though you can actually deposit at 13 months out if you have a reservation. The only II exchange I can think of that's a full 2 years out on the DVC list is Kona Coast on the Big Island though I'm sure there are others.

Have fun on your Aruba trip next February! I'm glad II worked well for you. DH and I would like to definitely try it some time ourselves. Along with the wonderful DVC resorts, one of the selling points of the DVC program was the II exchange options. I was drooling looking at the list!! :cloud9:

That's the beauty of DVC - the flexibility and options available. It's awesome!:banana:

Have a great trip!

We stayed one night at the Renaissance before checking into the Marriott Ocean Club a couple of years ago. It's nice to be in town within walking distance of many restaurants and malls, but we felt like the best part of the Renaissance was the private island. It's an island with a private beach, for guest of the Renaissance, not sure if anyone else can use it or not. It's a short boat ride from the Renaissance to the island but once on the island it was wonderful.

I have a few photos if you would like me to email them to you, not sure how to load them onto this site.

Anyway, have a wonderful time, we loved Aruba and am trying to receive an II exchange for summer 2008 using our Marriott.

This is the timeshare previously called the Sonesta Suites and now call the Renaissance and is somewhat managed by Marriott but is in NO way part of the Marriott vacation club system. The location is described as on the edge of town with a small man made beach plus they have a private island with transportation. There are two components, one across from the Marina and the other Ocean front. The reviews on TUG are mostly very positive.

Complex Map If this link doesn't work I have it as a JPEG if you want it.

Dean is correct; the property the OP referenced is not part of the Marriott vacation club system. We stayed at the Marriott Aruba Ocean Club last year and it was great! :thumbsup2 The adjacent (next door) Surf Club opened last year and is very nice, also.

My DH and I stayed in Aruba for our honeymoon and LOVED IT!!!! We're going back again soon. I have heard the Renaissance is amazing (we stayed at the Marriott which was awesome!). Hope you have a nice time!

You pay for the option with points in the use year you would be in at the time. The only exception is when you would actually be 2 years ahead and don't have access to the use year in question, you then get to pick which use year to pay in, the current one or the next one. It one applies when you're a full 2 years ahead, say for a Feb use year, you'd have to be Feb 2009 or after for it to come into play. Few II options actually can be had 2 years out even though you can start looking that far out. Most are 12 months or just under. Marriott's are 18 months for fixed week option and 12 months for the rest though you can actually deposit at 13 months out if you have a reservation. The only II exchange I can think of that's a full 2 years out on the DVC list is Kona Coast on the Big Island though I'm sure there are others.

Dean, can you pay for the exchange with a combo of current use year points plus banked/borrowed points? TIA!

Dean, can you pay for the exchange with a combo of current use year points plus banked/borrowed points? TIA!
DVC has told me you have to pay with points in one use year but they can be banked and borrowed points. However, I've never seen a post from anyone who was denied any type of exchange options on this basis. My guess is DVC will be flexible if that is the only way to make it happen and less so if it's just personal choice/preference. I'd think the cruise people would be the best people to address this issue due to the fairly recent change that lets you book cruises for far out combined with the VERY high points involved. Maybe someone that routinely participates there can shed some light on this subject. Here is a quote from MS though YMMV.
As far as all the other exchanges and bookings, we must take the points from the Use Year you are
travelling in as well as we can use banked points in that year and borrow points from the next year,
if necessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter