Mexican Riviera Cruise 03/27/2011

Are there any locals out there that can help me with approx travel time from LAX to the port on a Sunday morning? :teacher::drive: :sail:

I am told that you can cancel up to 3 days in advance.

Hi there - just wanted to note that this is 3 days BEFORE the cruise leaves. Once you're on the ship, you can't cancel and the excursions are non-refundable. So just make sure you sort out your plans a few days before the cruise leaves. :thumbsup2

Just have to say....

I AM SO EXCITED!!!! :cheer2:

Counting down the days... Right now we are booked for the Historic Towns & Tequila Tour in PV and the Harbor Cruise with Scenic Stop in Cabo. Anyone else doing those?

I'm almost done with the FE gifts from our room. They will be from my brother and I, but really just me. :rotfl: They're pretty cute, if I do say so myself. Can't wait to see all the other gifts - that's one of the highlights of coming back to the room and checking our FE!!! :goodvibes

Hi Pixiedust!
We are doing the Harbor cruise/scenic stop (as of now) in Cabo!
We are counting days also. :cloud9: I'm excited about the FE stuff too. But I think I'd better stop frequenting Target/Party City/Michaels, as I keep adding to our FE gift bags!! :lmao: I've been there so much, they are greeting me by name now....:laughing::thumbsup2

Good morning!! Just zip lining for us in PV. We're going to wing it in Cabo.

We have confirmed that we'll be going to Disneyland for three or found days after we return. :cool1: (I had to change my vacation time around).

:idea:

Holy cow! I was looking at what I should plan for gratuities ($28, head waiter, $21, $7, $28 hostess...etc..etc..) and then I read it's per person including kids? That's over $750 for our family. Is this what people are planning for gratuities?

:idea:Holy cow! I was looking at what I should plan for gratuities ($28, head waiter, $21, $7, $28 hostess...etc..etc..) and then I read it's per person including kids? That's over $750 for our family. Is this what people are planning for gratuities?

We calculated a minimum of $84.00/per person for the length of the cruise using the guidelines in our cruise papers we just received.

FROM DCL WEBSITE: It is customary to give gratuities in recognition of service, which you will most likely be treated to in abundance aboard the ship. As a guideline, we suggest the following:

Per Guest per cruise 7-Night
Dining Room Server $28.00
Dining Room Asst. Server $21.00
Dining Room Head Server $7.00
Stateroom Host/Hostess $28.00
Dining Manager Your Discretion
Room Service Your Discretion
Palo Gratuity included
Vista Spa & Salon Your Discretion
Babysitting Gratuity not expected
Shore Excursions Optional; not included in shore excursion price.

For your convenience, a 15% gratuity is automatically added to bar, beverage, wine and deck service tabs. All gratuities can be charged to your room charge.

Holy cow! I was looking at what I should plan for gratuities ($28, head waiter, $21, $7, $28 hostess...etc..etc..) and then I read it's per person including kids? That's over $750 for our family. Is this what people are planning for gratuities?
Yes, we just prepaid our tips, so that we wouldn't have to worry about it later.

Now, when we went on our two day trip, we tipped a bit less, because Disney did not tell us ahead of time as to what to plan for our gratuities, so we based it on what we felt as a percentage of what we had set aside for tips. It was our first cruise, so it was a total and complete guess as to how much we should give in tips and we budgeted based on what we found others saying online, which turned out to be older information.

I did feel bad for some of the staff that assisted us, as they got less than they deserved at times, but I am sure that they understand why it happened, as Disney did not give us proper information to plan our tips. Others got exactly what they earned. For example our stateroom hostess was not very thorough in her cleaning, at the end of our cruise we had dropped something in the couch and had to fish it out, in the process we found a lanyard that a previous cruiser had dropped down there, which tells me she never moved the couch to vacuum under it, even between us and the previous occupants:scared1: which should always be done in my opinion, in any hotel type situation, even cruises. I know this sounds picky, but it's not, let's say that someone with severe nut allergies is staying in a room and the person before them was eating nuts and it fell down in the couch. When the next person checks in.....well, it will definitely not be good for them.

This time they have given us the information, so we prepaid to avoid those issues from reoccurring and if they give even better service than we expect, we may tip extra, if they give worse service, I will talk with guest services and reduce the tip, if needed.

Just remember that tips are always at your discretion.

A great resource I found on the DISboards somewhere (maybe here I don't remember)- was a tip calculator.

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

I plan on tipping minimum, and based on service (more if outstanding).
You have a wonderfully large family- and the amount seems high (I was shocked on my first cruise) but I look at it this way- It breaks down to about $24 PP a day for tipping all of the services. I know that the people who work in the service industries rely heavily on tips (I paid for my undergrad this way) so I try to be as generous as possible:flower3:

Consider: There is plenty of debate on whether to tip the head waiter. Some don't tip them because they never see the head waiter until the night before tipping when they are suddenly there with a smile and ready to cut your lobster for you. Others do because they rely heavily on the head waiter to resolve problems and to address allergy issues. Still others say that the head waiter's job is to make everything run smoothly so they are serving you even if you can't tell.

Yes, I had found that tip calculator, but it gave me an amount lower than what Disney suggested at the end of the 2 day cruise (I am guessing it was something off for either their calculations or Disney's because of it being an odd cruise like that).

Also, I know a lot of people wonder why they should tip the full amount based on kids. If you could afford it, how much would you pay per day to go around and clean up after your kids everywhere they go, including all of the dishes at dinner, making their beds, picking up stuff off the floor, etc.

Given the mess that kids can make, I think it is indeed appropriate to pay full tips (with some kids the teams may deserve double or triple the tips! :lmao:) for them as well, but I don't have any yet, so maybe I will change my mind when that happens.

Consider: There is plenty of debate on whether to tip the head waiter. Some don't tip them because they never see the head waiter until the night before tipping when they are suddenly there with a smile and ready to cut your lobster for you. Others do because they rely heavily on the head waiter to resolve problems and to address allergy issues. Still others say that the head waiter's job is to make everything run smoothly so they are serving you even if you can't tell.

Good point. I looked up a head waiter on cruise ships responsibilities and they seen more like a manager type:surfweb:- I can see why there is a debate. Interesting...

http://www.allcruisejobs.com/i532/head-waiter/

Good point. I looked up a head waiter on cruise ships responsibilities and they seen more like a manager type:surfweb:- I can see why there is a debate. Interesting...

http://www.allcruisejobs.com/i532/head-waiter/
On our 2 day cruise, our head waiter was very helpful throughout and was around a lot, even helping serve drinks if needed, so he did get a tip, because he EARNED it.

With me, the bottom line is that you have to earn your tip, otherwise you will not get one or will get a smaller one than expected, but if you earn your tip, you will get it and generally more, like I said the 2 day cruise was odd, just because of all the confusion on it, this time I think will make more sense who should get how much and all.

Well, I think we've given OmasGirls so much to think about:laughing:
I'm sure whatever your family decides will be great:lovestruc

Now back to the fun stuff, like stalking my postman for my cruise papers and buying for the Fish Extenders!!!!:cheer2:

Well, I think we've given OmasGirls so much to think about:laughing:
I'm sure whatever your family decides will be great:lovestruc

Now back to the fun stuff, like stalking my postman for my cruise papers and buying for the Fish Extenders!!!!:cheer2:
I agree, but I do wish some of what we had found out on our last cruise was more readily available, which is why I thought I should mention it.

Luckily we don't have to stalk our postman for the papers, as I said before they came the other day.....we are pretty much done with our FEs, unless more join and feel free to do so, the more the merrier.

Thanks everyone! I'm fine with the tips, I waited my way through college and can appreciate how much work it is, and I usually tip even more because I do have a child! and a messy one.....:rolleyes1

Our fish extender is going to be a potluck once we get on board - Oma has a stash, and goodness knows there will be some GREAT stuff in her bag. My sister is coming from Japan so who knows what she shows up with, and I keep coming up with great little things, one thing at a time. I asked them both if we have enough and they all laughed. Oma said she does as long as I don't take it all for myself first!

On another note - for people that have cruised Disney before... I read that we have to store our bags in our rooms? Does anyone know if they have any extra storage onboard if you have too much stuff?:dance3::flower1::fish:

My sister and their family are being transferred back from Japan, and they have to bring enough things with them to last until their posessions catch up in a couple months. I've cruised other lines and they always took our empty suitcases away.

On another note - for people that have cruised Disney before... I read that we have to store our bags in our rooms? Does anyone know if they have any extra storage onboard if you have too much stuff?:dance3::flower1::fish:

My sister and their family are being transferred back from Japan, and they have to bring enough things with them to last until their posessions catch up in a couple months. I've cruised other lines and they always took our empty suitcases away.

On rare occasions they can accommodate. But don't bet on it. Depending on height empty luggage can fit under the beds...just lift the frame a bit and slip the luggage under.

So when booking my first cruise this Jan. I thought that was more than enough time, and I'm realizing how last minute it is for a Disney Cruise- and cruising with a child for that matter!

Anyways, I have been unable to book for Palo anything since I booked- does anyone know what my chances are of being able to get a last min. reservation, or any tips and tricks for getting in?

So excited to be cruising with you all!!!!:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter