Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party / Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party Tier Pricing. SAD

Ok I have a few questions that I'm really curious about-

How much of a price increase (over last year) was it?
I haven't been before, but from what I looked up online, it seems to be @$15.

If you really want to go, will this actually stop you from going?
I think a pp mentioned dining out. Really it's less than one family meal at a restaurant.

We do so much during October - December. Once per week Halloween event or pumpkin farm in October. And mid November - December is once per week Christmas themed outing (I.e. Polar express train etc).
Because this is a big trip- 1 night WDW, 7 nights DCL, 4 nights back at WDW- I know that I am going to have to cut a few of our regular holiday "outings" out of the plans.

If you've been several times and it isn't important then I totally get it.

But honestly, if it is important to you then is a $15-$20 increase really the deciding factor? It's a long time away, there's probably one day where you would spend the same amount of money on something else. Again- dinner, maybe skip a Dave & Busters day...etc etc.

We had been planning to do MNSSHP. The last time we did it was early Sept 2014 and it was $60-something per a person. I looked for when we're planning on going in early Oct and it's over $90 per person now. Since we have 5 people, the increase is almost $150 more. So yes, it's going to stop us from going. We don't go out to eat and spend $150. Spending nearly $500 for our family once taxes and fees are added in and we've been priced out. We've only ever been once and I guess it's going to have to stay that way.

I'm sure i will catch grief for this, but has anyone realized that there

MK renovations, new rides
DTD Renovations, new stores
New Lands in both HS and AK

Do you all expect disney to just do it without raising some prices?

not to mention, inflation

Like any business they must invest some of their current profits into sustaining and increasing their business. They aren't doing us a favour by making these additions

Since this thread is about the Halloween party as well as the Christmas party - that poster was explaining that "not everyone observes Halloween." Not everyone observes Christmas, either.

No the thread is about price increases of said parties. This poster was just taking an oppurtnity to announce her religious beliefs for no purpose.

Anyone remember the old Hallowishes??
Not only the true 360° fireworks, but the original music before it was cut??

I don't mind paying top dollar for top entertainment, BUT.....
Cutbacks, then price increase=not good.
Yeah, not necessarily the price, but the value. I'm not into paying more for less.

I think those that are blowing off the price increase claiming that "its only $15, why don't you cut a dinner out" forget that for some of us, we cut that dinner out 7 years ago to swallow the price increase when the tickets jumped to $50 a ticket. Since then in order to absorb all the subsequent price increases we have cut a heck of a lot more, at nearly $100 a ticket we're nearly to the point where I'm going to have to sell plasma in order to find the extra $$$ (just kidding, but you understand). None of these price increases are in a vacuum, it is a systematic raising of prices at 5, 10, 20% year to year that is wearing us down.

If Disney had frozen prices for a few years, and then raised the tickets by $15, you wouldn't be hearing much of a peep out of people on these boards.

What really irks me is that the parties have basically the same offerings (and in some cases less offerings) that they did when I was paying $34 a ticket. Its not like they expanded entertainment, or ride times, or significantly enhanced the experience. The only thing that has been significantly enhanced in the 15 years I've been going to the parties, is the price tag, and that is just sad.

I think those that are blowing off the price increase claiming that "its only $15, why don't you cut a dinner out" forget that for some of us, we cut that dinner out 7 years ago to swallow the price increase when the tickets jumped to $50 a ticket. Since then in order to absorb all the subsequent price increases we have cut a heck of a lot more, at nearly $100 a ticket we're nearly to the point where I'm going to have to sell plasma in order to find the extra $$$ (just kidding, but you understand). None of these price increases are in a vacuum, it is a systematic raising of prices at 5, 10, 20% year to year that is wearing us down.

If Disney had frozen prices for a few years, and then raised the tickets by $15, you wouldn't be hearing much of a peep out of people on these boards.

What really irks me is that the parties have basically the same offerings (and in some cases less offerings) that they did when I was paying $34 a ticket. Its not like they expanded entertainment, or ride times, or significantly enhanced the experience. The only thing that has been significantly enhanced in the 15 years I've been going to the parties, is the price tag, and that is just sad.

everyone is different. When i first started going to disney, prices were about $75 a day. But, while prices have increased since the first time we went, both my wife and mine's pay has also increased. So have prices every where else. So instead of cutting out 1 night out, maybe cut out two.

Ok I have a few questions that I'm really curious about-

How much of a price increase (over last year) was it?
I haven't been before, but from what I looked up online, it seems to be @$15.

It really depends on what night people went. For me, comparing the same night, I paid $70 last year. It would cost me $91 this year. $21 more per person. (before taxes)

If you really want to go, will this actually stop you from going?
I think a pp mentioned dining out. Really it's less than one family meal at a restaurant.

I think for some people it will stop them on principle or whatever their budget is allowing. It is not just a party ticket going up. It is the bigger picture. Food has been increased. Water has been increased. Park admission has been increased. Merchandise has been increased. Everything has increased yet there are many closures and reductions. Yes, you could cut out one table meal, but some guests are already adjusting for the increased costs in those areas. If you have 5 people in your family, you are talking about $105 more over last year plus the other increases mentioned above. Some people are getting priced out of their vacation budget.

We do so much during October - December. Once per week Halloween event or pumpkin farm in October. And mid November - December is once per week Christmas themed outing (I.e. Polar express train etc).
Because this is a big trip- 1 night WDW, 7 nights DCL, 4 nights back at WDW- I know that I am going to have to cut a few of our regular holiday "outings" out of the plans.

If you've been several times and it isn't important then I totally get it.

But honestly, if it is important to you then is a $15-$20 increase really the deciding factor? It's a long time away, there's probably one day where you would spend the same amount of money on something else. Again- dinner, maybe skip a Dave & Busters day...etc etc.

See comments above in pink. :)

Looks like the date we have attended the past several years is now $80 with DVC discount, up from $74 last year.
Room prices are static, our other tickets are also up around 8%. Food prices are up about the same.

The value remains for us, but it is getting close. Cutting experiences will lose us before adding cost-doing both is a big concern though.

Our sticker shock continues to be flights-nearly triple the cost of last year. If Disney did that, we'd stay home and watch Mickey mouse cartoons all week.

I was responding to a post that has since been removed (not sure why) from someone who couldn't understand how some people don't observe Halloween. I was giving my take on it. Sorry for the confusion!
Yeah, I was surprised it was removed. I certainly didn't think I had said anything insulting or anti-religious.

Stacy

Comparing the same party we went to last year to the same party this year, the price has increased $12 per adult. I don't think that's a huge increase. The parties are so crowded, though, I wish they would charge more and limit the number of tickets. I completely understand the point of view of many here feeling they paying more and getting much less.

You hit the nail on the head!!! Best comment IMHO

We considered going when we realized we'll be there for the first party. I was actually kind of excited since we've never been to WDW during any party times. It'll cost my family an extra $301 for five hours with large crowds..NOPE, nope, nope.

Last edited:

But that's not true:
15 years ago minimum wage was 5.15, now it's 7.25.
Social Security COLA: inreased by a minimum of 1.7% and a max of 5.8% PER YEAR from 2000-2015. There were only 3 years when no increase was given, but 4 above 4%.

Stacy

But that's not true:
15 years ago minimum wage was 5.15, now it's 7.25.
It's been a long day, so maybe my mind isn't up to par, but I don't understand what you are driving at. If a ticket cost $34 fifteen years ago when the minimum wage was $5.15 per hour, then a minimum wage worker had to work 7 hours to buy a ticket. Now, at a cost of $91 per ticket (as reported by a poster above,) a worker earning the current minimum wage of $7.25 would have to work 13 hours in order to buy a ticket. So it seems to me that, relatively speaking, tickets are more costly now. Minimum wage workers have to work twice as many hours to enjoy the same (and perhaps even a lessened) experience. If that is what you were trying to convey, then it seems as if you are agreeing with CandleontheWater. So I am not sure what the meaning of "But that's not true" is supposed to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter