Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party / Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party Tier Pricing. SAD

Our first visit to WDW at holiday time was in 1996. We visited my mom in Cocoa on Thanksgiving weekend, then spent 3 days at WDW. We returned home on December 1st, and back then - the first Christmas party didn't start until December. Now the Christmas parties start in early November, and the Halloween parties start in early September! While the earlier parties are a benefit to those visiting WDW in September and November, I think it cheapens the holiday (especially Christmas) to have it "celebrated" so far in advance of the actual month. However, I'm sure it has been a huge cash cow for Disney, as have all of their extra-cost events.

I love that the Christmas season is so long at WDW!! Not for the party, but for Holidays Around the World at Epcot, the resortwide gingerbread displays, the nightly castle lighting, etc. Of course that always means crane time at the castle in preparation most of the fall.

Years ago, there was a stage show at the castle, I think it was called Every Day's a Holiday and it celebrated all the holidays in one show.

The parties are nice, but not doing one isn't going to ruin my Disney experience. I'd like to go to MNSSHP, but if I don't, there's plenty of other things to do in Central FL to takes it's place. For little ones, Sea World's Spooktacular is fun and included with admission! We've done that every year. There's no parade. But there's a Sesame Street Halloween themed show, trick or treating, crafts, dance party, etc. Almost everything is included with park admission, candy apple decorating and cookie decorating were additional.

I have to say I Was really bummed out by the big hike in the price for the MNSSHP. We are AP holders and it didn't help us at all, we live in MN so we can't change our plans to go on a day the AP would have given us the discount. We payed about 30.00 less for each ticket in 2013. The big problem is we loved the party so much, we have to go in October, when we are visiting so I bought our tickets this a.m. I'm still excited even though my wallet is sad.

It's my understanding that certain Christians and non Christians don't observe Halloween for various reasons. Our personal practice is to emphasize Halloween as the vigil of All Saints Day. We don't choose to include the satanic/ witchy/ demonic/ horrific aspects that have tended to be highlighted or celebrated over the past decades. But that's just our preference as Christians. Just trying to explain that not everyone observes Halloween.

And what does this observation have to do with the discussion at hand?

I'm sure i will catch grief for this, but has anyone realized that there

MK renovations, new rides
DTD Renovations, new stores
New Lands in both HS and AK

Do you all expect disney to just do it without raising some prices?

not to mention, inflation

I don't think people are upset about the concept of price increases, but it's the percentage of the increase that seems excessive. And, let's not forget about the record attendance that helps offset the renovation costs you've mentioned.

I don't think people are upset about the concept of price increases, but it's the percentage of the increase that seems excessive. And, let's not forget about the record attendance that helps offset the renovation costs you've mentioned.

True, but disney parks is a business, they will push it until attendance drops, which is unlikely for a long while

That along with the constant price increases on everything while there are so many closures and cutbacks.

I love that the Christmas season is so long at WDW!! Not for the party, but for Holidays Around the World at Epcot, the resortwide gingerbread displays, the nightly castle lighting, etc. Of course that always means crane time at the castle in preparation most of the fall.

Years ago, there was a stage show at the castle, I think it was called Every Day's a Holiday and it celebrated all the holidays in one show.

The parties are nice, but not doing one isn't going to ruin my Disney experience. I'd like to go to MNSSHP, but if I don't, there's plenty of other things to do in Central FL to takes it's place. For little ones, Sea World's Spooktacular is fun and included with admission! We've done that every year. There's no parade. But there's a Sesame Street Halloween themed show, trick or treating, crafts, dance party, etc. Almost everything is included with park admission, candy apple decorating and cookie decorating were additional.
I'm glad that at Epcot - Holidays Around the World and the Candlelight Processional don't start until the day after Thanksgiving. That's only because there is very little financial incentive (other than the Candlelight Processional dinner packages) for Disney to begin those any earlier. It's the Halloween parties in September and the Christmas parties before Thanksgiving that are out of place - in my opinion.

2016 prices with inflation should be around $39. Not the case, since Iger the Terrible began his reign of terror.

Ok I have a few questions that I'm really curious about-

How much of a price increase (over last year) was it?
I haven't been before, but from what I looked up online, it seems to be @$15.

If you really want to go, will this actually stop you from going?
I think a pp mentioned dining out. Really it's less than one family meal at a restaurant.

We do so much during October - December. Once per week Halloween event or pumpkin farm in October. And mid November - December is once per week Christmas themed outing (I.e. Polar express train etc).
Because this is a big trip- 1 night WDW, 7 nights DCL, 4 nights back at WDW- I know that I am going to have to cut a few of our regular holiday "outings" out of the plans.

If you've been several times and it isn't important then I totally get it.

But honestly, if it is important to you then is a $15-$20 increase really the deciding factor? It's a long time away, there's probably one day where you would spend the same amount of money on something else. Again- dinner, maybe skip a Dave & Busters day...etc etc.

Last edited:
They are though .. think about it.

When i was a kid in the 80s .. a trip to Disney was a day trip while in Florida doing other things (beach, visiting retired grandparents, going to SeaWorld or Busch Gardens, etc.). We went there, parked, spent the day riding rides, ate hamburgers, saw a few characters walking around and went home happy. One stay hit 3 days only because MGM was new in the late 80s.

Now? Disney IS the destination .. with four parks you need to stay at LEAST four days there to experience it all, not to mention all the extras and fine dining options.

Oh yeah, but generally you are getting more now than you did in the late 80s. But I'm also amazed at the phenomenon that there was a thread pricing out previous trips and most of them have gone up roughly 18% in the last year or 2. That exceeds the price of inflation and Disney is offering the same/maybe less attractions now then in the past year or two.

They must somehow be getting people to expand their budgets 18% and I'm amazed by that!

I think a pp mentioned dining out. Really it's less than one family meal at a restaurant.

We do so much during October - December. Once per week Halloween event or pumpkin farm in October. And mid November - December is once per week Christmas themed outing (I.e. Polar express train etc).
Because this is a big trip- 1 night WDW, 7 nights DCL, 4 nights back at WDW- I know that I am going to have to cut a few of our regular holiday "outings" out of the plans.

But honestly, if it is important to you then is a $15-$20 increase really the deciding factor? It's a long time away, there's probably one day where you would spend the same amount of money on something else. Again- dinner, maybe skip a Dave & Busters day...etc etc.

I think that was some of the discussion above. The $15 may not be enough to get me to skip the party, BUT just because my family might pay more for the party doesn't mean that Disney is getting more money. We have a budget for vacations and we pretty well stick to it. So if we are paying more for the party and tickets, we might be having quick service breakfast one day instead of character breakfast to cover the cost.

Oh yeah, but generally you are getting more now than you did in the late 80s. But I'm also amazed at the phenomenon that there was a thread pricing out previous trips and most of them have gone up roughly 18% in the last year or 2. That exceeds the price of inflation and Disney is offering the same/maybe less attractions now then in the past year or two.

They must somehow be getting people to expand their budgets 18% and I'm amazed by that!
Or just take it out of somewhere else, like what I suggested above.

Sometimes I'll purchase something and justify it by 'promising to cut back on Starbucks'.. That way I feel like it wasn't really "adding" a cost overall. :)

Or just take it out of somewhere else, like what I suggested above.

Sometimes I'll purchase something and justify it by 'promising to cut back on Starbucks'.. That way I feel like it wasn't really "adding" a cost overall. :)

We used to do that, but decided we didn't like scrimping on our day to day to take a more extravagant vacation. I do stop shopping, but I refuse to take from somewhere else to give more to the mouse. He can have our vacation budget and that's it.

careful, saying the increase was only $15 might have people calling you bad at math or bad with money

careful, saying the increase was only $15 might have people calling you bad at math or bad with money
Lol. Well, that's a large part of why I asked the question.

I wasn't there, BUT from reading online it appears to be @ $15 if the 2015 price posting are correct.

I'm talking it over with my partner. Crappy "special" cupcakes, a special shirt, characters we don't wait for, a parade we don't watch all the way through. The thing we both liked was watching hallowishes, and the lady in front of the haunted mansion. The adult trick or treating is fun but candy I can buy for cheap back home

Do they pump hallowishes at the Poly like they do wishes?

Honestly at $68 it wasn't really worth it for us but we did it for the experience at 98 a person it's really not worth it for the little we take advantage of the offerings. If the music is at the poly I think I may just visit there for a free viewing instead

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter