Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party / Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party Tier Pricing. SAD

People complain about the "crowded" parties now. Could you imagine if it was still $34? When WDW is now showing record attendance, and their resort are 90something% full?

He said the only thing that changed was the price. That isn't true. Costs have gone up across the board. Gas, food, minimum wage. Even at 5% inflation the ticket would have gone up to $67 JUST to keep up with costs.

It is not Disneys fault that minimum wage hasn't kept up with inflation. If you're worried about that then you need to call your congressman or senator. Measuring the cost of a ticket based on the number of hours it takes a minimum wage worker to earn a ticket is disingenuous at best.

Stacy

Measuring the cost of a ticket based on the number of hours it takes a minimum wage worker to earn a ticket is disingenuous at best.
But it applies at all income levels, not just minimum wage. How many hours, (or what percentage of an hour) one needs to work in order to be able to afford a ticket will vary. But the general result is more or less the same. Even the Congressman that you should be complaining to must work longer today to afford a party ticket than they had to work fifteen years ago. A Congressman had to spend 8% of one day's wage to afford ticket in 2001. Today, a Congressman needs to spend 20% of a single day's wage to afford a ticket. So why did you introduce the concept of minimum wage in your post if using that data is considered "disingenuous at best"?

We went last year to the Halloween party. It was nice, but too crowded for what they charged. I do love the parade!!!!
I went last year too..... and agree! It was very crowded.... the most crowded I've ever seen at MNSSHP! I've gone 5 times in the last 10 years in Oct. But with the increase .... this year I'm going in Sept.
If you look at percentage..... the price increase is ridiculous for the days in Oct! 20% increase in price for anything is nuts!
If they limited the attendance further I could understand the higher increase! But to open it up more...that's greed.... IMHO! Now paying more to be in a park that is MORE crowded. :rolleyes:

So why did you introduce the concept of minimum wage in your post if using that data is considered "disingenuous at best"?
because it is an example of a cost increase. $34 a ticket at $5.15 an hour is 6.6 hours per ticket. If minimum wage had kept up with inflation it would still be the same 6.6 hours. It did not but Disney still has to cover the costs of all the other things that DID rise with inflation. So if you look at the minimum wage hours you aren't comparing apples to apples.

Also that is only for the lowest bracket. Mine has gone the other way. In 1997 at $34 per ticket it would have taken me 11.3 hours to get the 4 tickets we needed. Now, even at the higher price it takes me less than half a day.

Stacy

because it is an example of a cost increase. $34 a ticket at $5.15 an hour is 6.6 hours per ticket. If minimum wage had kept up with inflation it would still be the same 6.6 hours. It did not but Disney still has to cover the costs of all the other things that DID rise with inflation. So if you look at the minimum wage hours you aren't comparing apples to apples.

Stacy
But this only applies if you assume that the price increase was done to cover increased overhead with no residual gain. There is no way Disney raised the price from last year to this year just to cover costs. And if the significant bump this year was done to "catch up" with prior inflationary increases that had not previously been captured, then we have to assume that Disney was losing money last year. And we know that isn't the case. So if we assume that
  1. the parties were profitable last year
  2. this year's price increase outpaces the increase in overhead in the past year
then we have to conclude that the price increase was profit-driven and not cost-driven. Which brings us back to #thanksshanghai

Sigh if relief. After watching today's disunplugged, Happy Pete didn't kill me for being "upset" over the price increase. He agreed when is enough enough with the price increases.

To me there is so much more at the Halloween party . I have to agree. I would think the Christmas party would be cheaper.
We do too. We skipped the Christmas party last trip since we didn't feel like it was worth the cost, but we're still planning on doing the Halloween party even with the higher prices, because to us it's still worth it.

I'll probably do the halloween party once, to say I did it. It's still 8 hours of park admission, a special parade and fireworks so has to be worth it at least once. I knew it was suddenly going to shoot up though.

I'm not going to be able to make either at the moment. If extra funds come available by Decemeber, I've got to do what I have to do. I wanted to surprise a group "first timers" as a Christmas present . However is close to a $1000 and my wife said if it was Halloween party , maybe. We have done Christmas party couple times, we was going to do it for them. Guess what they don't know they are missing won't hurt them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter