• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mickeys not so scary halloween party

This is the best post I've ever seen in my time here...no question. It eloquently states the facts of the approach and realities at wdw after the Eisner boom ended, he lost his mind, and EVERYBODY wanted him gone. But it was in many ways a tipping point for the east coast stronghold. The property is a recent "success story" that is gnawing away at the pilings longterm... Ironic...in the land of sinkholes.

I agree with you.

Eisner was great in his prime and did probably some of the biggest park investment since walt himself. Iger will go down as a great CEO in the fact of the movie and business side of things but as a bad CEO in the parks side. During Iger disney has purchased Pixar, marvel, and has had success with that. When it comes to the parks Iger came in fixed the mess at DCA, added some cruise ships, new fantasyland, and shanghai... That's not much when you think of it. Yes there were small things like TSMM and test track 2.0 but come on. These premium parties keep happening and get more expensive because people pay for them. The people from the DIS reviewed the premium party in their show this week and said it's not worth $99 with some changes sure it could be. It's also hard to justify that though on top of already paying $70 for the Halloween party itself. But of course these parties are selling out so people are still paying for them. Disney is going to keep doing this as long as it makes money. DVC is the same way they will keep building until it stops selling. I've said this before as I saw someone on a different website post this and it makes sense and is true.

Walt wanted a world class product and made money by doing so.
Eisner made money by producing a world class product (for most of his career)
Iger just wants money

Avatar is coming in 2017 and Iger will be gone by then. Of course thats not the first choice of most but it's something. And then we have frozen which is likely coming to Epcot and many other places around the globe. Frozen deserves its own new ride in fantasyland. Frozen shouldn't be put in Norway but again its igers disney. I almost forgot Disney Springs a massive shopping district, and supposedly they may be having problems finding tenants to double their size. What about after Iger well you have Staggs and rasulo which are two of three rumored next CEOs. The third would be the guy that runs ABC I believe name slips the mind right now. Staggs and Rasulo are Igers minions I truly don't think the parks would change that much under them.

Disney will keep adding DVC, keep adding premium events, keep raising room and ticket prices until people stop paying for them. Just look at all the limited edition magic bands coming out now. One thing I would love to see is attractions specific and hotel specific merchandise. Yes there is some but not a lot. The room topic is questionable right now too because disney is supposedly converting rooms to DVC because they aren't selling rooms. Apparently they don't see how a $600 a night room is too expensive especially for what you get. And especially when down the road you can get the same amenities for half or less even. Unless walt comes back from the dead I don't see much changing from where we are now.

I am pretty bummed they pulled The Queen and Maleficent. I really wanted to see them paired with the princesses. Going to the Soiree is still up in the air, here. :rolleyes1

Where did it say they wouldn't be at PFTH? Disney's list of activities says they are there v

Where did it say they wouldn't be at PFTH? Disney's list of activities says they are there v

It was in an original blog announcement, but then they removed it and made it appear that it was never even there. They removed all related comments form the blog comments, and they stated that Cinderella and Rapunzel would be in Fairytale Hall along with Anna and Elsa. What "list of activities" are you looking at?

My wife and I were talking about this yesterday, she responded that I hope they don't get ideas like this for the cruise line. I can just see a pirate dessert party with the upper deck roped off for those that pay for the premium package.

As far as the "doom and gloom" on this board, most people are here because they love Disney. Anyone that looks back on 2005-2014 and doesn't realize that its the most disappointing 10 years in Disney World's history, as far as new rides, innovation, etc, I really don't know what to say. And the thing is, we don't know of anything new coming in the next 2 years.

Disney has spent most of their money this past decade on expanding in Asia, cruise ships, and ignoring the mother ship. Which according to some people, is great, cause they'll give them their money no matter what.

/Co-sign

As far as the "doom and gloom" on this board, most people are here because they love Disney. Anyone that looks back on 2005-2014 and doesn't realize that its the most disappointing 10 years in Disney World's history, as far as new rides, innovation, etc, I really don't know what to say. And the thing is, we don't know of anything new coming in the next 2 years.

Disney has spent most of their money this past decade on expanding in Asia, cruise ships, and ignoring the mother ship. Which according to some people, is great, cause they'll give them their money no matter what.

Now, I think Disney has made a TON of progress over the past 10yrs!

Their website keeps getting better and better allowing us to do some much more each year. I used to get so frustrated that we couldn't book dining reservations on line, but now we can - and even on short notice! Their app is amazing - showing wait times for all attractions and making it easy to locate characters. I'm actually shocked at how good their app and website are now. That took a lot of money and time to build.

The new FP+ now guarantees that we'll get on rides that always have huge lines - and we don't even have to wake up early to race to a fp machine and then wait around all day - waiting for the time to come to ride. What a breakthrough! My trip is 3 wks away and I already know when they'll be ready to seat me on the mine ride, toy story and test track!

I'm also excited about the new Star Wars take over and hope that they really do build up more Star Wars rides and areas. Personally, I wish they'd abandon the whole avatar plan for AK. Maybe they are 2nd guessing it and thinking about moving resources over to the new Star Wars ideas that I've heard rumored for HS and Tomorrowland. That would be awesome!

Ok - just thought I should share SOME of the progress that I've seen and appreciate over the past years!

I'm really looking forward to the Soirée at the Halloween party when we visit. I love any opportunity to hang out in the castle and so glad we'll have a reserved spot for my favorite Disney parade. The villains and desserts will be nice, too.

Their website keeps getting better and better allowing us to do some much more each year. I used to get so frustrated that we couldn't book dining reservations on line, but now we can - and even on short notice! Their app is amazing - showing wait times for all attractions and making it easy to locate characters. I'm actually shocked at how good their app and website are now. That took a lot of money and time to build.

The new FP+ now guarantees that we'll get on rides that always have huge lines - and we don't even have to wake up early to race to a fp machine and then wait around all day - waiting for the time to come to ride. What a breakthrough! My trip is 3 wks away and I already know when they'll be ready to seat me on the mine ride, toy story and test track!

I'm also excited about the new Star Wars take over and hope that they really do build up more Star Wars rides and areas. Personally, I wish they'd abandon the whole avatar plan for AK. Maybe they are 2nd guessing it and thinking about moving resources over to the new Star Wars ideas that I've heard rumored for HS and Tomorrowland. That would be awesome!

Ok - just thought I should share SOME of the progress that I've seen and appreciate over the past years!

I'm really looking forward to the Soirée at the Halloween party when we visit. I love any opportunity to hang out in the castle and so glad we'll have a reserved spot for my favorite Disney parade. The villains and desserts will be nice, too.

The only thing you mentioned is website functionality and fastpass+. Every company in america has drastically improved their website over the past 10 years, so I am not giving any kudos for that. Fastpass+ is not an improvement at all in my eyes. Too many times I have seen fast passes over booked compared to before, or you find out that you didn't need a fast pass, or the ride breaks...then there go your plans you made 30 days in advance.

The Star Wars land you are excited about...its not announced. So we dont know what, when or where on that. The things I'll give them credit for...Monsters Inc, Soarin, Little Mermaid, Mine Train, Toy Story Mania, and Star Wars (refurb). Finding Nemo I guess as well. Maybe I am missing a few things, this isnt exhaustive in a quick reply. But you get the point. How many of those are great, and of those, how old are they. I say you have one great ride there, maybe two if you count TSM (I think technology will cause it to fade fast, and already has to some degree, still fun though).

Thats not very much when you factor in that they are doing this in 4 parks. And again we know nothing that is coming in the next two years. So if I do this list then, I think it will just be Little Mermaid, Mine Train, and Star Wars Refurb. Pathetic.

I agree that Disney has made progress. It was not that long ago that you had to get on the phone to make plans. Now you can do just about everything online and also see what is available with accurate information. I remember having to call to get Wishes Dessert Party reservations and some CMs didn't know what it was.

I know the thrill seekers will always be looking for something more from Disney to be added for rides. No mater how many lands and expansions Disney makes there can always be more. I see that Disney is filling the parks year round. They don't "have" to add any attractions and people will still be lining up to get in the park. The fact that there is something new every time we go is one of the reasons we come back.

Families spend a lot of money and have some great vacations at Disneyworld. We started going when my kids were 5 and 7. We had such great times we continue to go now that they are adults. If you want only thrill rides there are plenty of parks where you can go to get the crap scared out of you. We like the mix of theming, shows and rides that Disney has put in to meet the needs of many families. Adding Avatar land and more Star Wars stuff may not be what everyone is looking for but I'm sure Disney will do it with Quality and Theming that we are used to.

FP+ seems no different to me than paper fast passes accept for the planning. Last time we went to HS we rode TSMM at RD and then went to Rock and Roller Coaster to get a paper FP. They were already giving out 3PM as a return time. Now I don't have to run around getting the paper and I know I can get on each headliner at lease once.

Now if they would just stop with these high cost ticketed events that rush people in and out..

The only thing you mentioned is website functionality and fastpass+. QUOTE]

Those are 2 huge things!!

I think the difference being discussed by some is that there is progress and there's progress.

To the earlier poster's point, it's hard to celebrate what would be considered normal or expected progress that comes with technical updates. If that's cause for celebration, then we all might as well state that 'progress' has been made when our handheld devices get upgraded with the latest CPU, and not expect a vendor to take the next leap in innovation.

Adding an attraction that doesn't take half a decade to build that showcases a new and unique experience would be true 'progress'.

I have to laugh that the ability to book Hotel and dining reservations online is being lauded as "progress"...

Disney was embarrassingly behind not only with those things...but with wifi, computer systems and interfaces, web design, and television systems.

Even these tap bands...now that I've used them 3 times...are a nice feature but not a major upgrade to the experience.

This is classic... "It's Disney...must be top notch?" Thought pattern.

Ummm...not exactly

We were not able to get FP+ for Mine Train right before our MNSSHP on Oct 8. We are hoping to ride the Mine Train after the party starts and FP are no longer available, catch the fireworks, and then watch the later parade (which websites say is less crowded).

Has anyone been to one of the parties yet this year? How long is the wait for Mine Train once the party has begun?

Thanks!

We were not able to get FP+ for Mine Train right before our MNSSHP on Oct 8. We are hoping to ride the Mine Train after the party starts and FP are no longer available, catch the fireworks, and then watch the later parade (which websites say is less crowded).

Has anyone been to one of the parties yet this year? How long is the wait for Mine Train once the party has begun?

Thanks!

At the first party on Labor Day we only waited about 15 minutes for a 20 minute posted wait time.

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered. Has anyone who has been to the party know how long the wait was to meet Anna and Elsa during the party? Wondering if it's a lot shorter and don't need the fast pass during a regular MK day. Thanks!

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered. Has anyone who has been to the party know how long the wait was to meet Anna and Elsa during the party? Wondering if it's a lot shorter and don't need the fast pass during a regular MK day. Thanks!

If I remember correctly it was 60 minutes or less... I could be mistaken though; that might have been during the day before the party.

shermanedmonds said:

Kenny the Pirate reported 20-30min wait times for A&E during the 1st Halloween party. That was also with low attendance. Could be around 60min on a full attendance MNSSHP.

Is the mayhem at the mansion app working yet? I asked multiple cast members as I left mk today (I'll be at the party on Sunday.) And not one person knew what I was talking about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter