Military tickets

Lynne A.

Earning My Ears
My father who is retired from the miltary will be traveling to DW with us and is planning to purchase Hopper passes for us. Will this be a problem getting into the parks becasue we do not have ID cards and he will not be with us all times?? Lynne

My husband is in the military, so we both have id's, but I believe the only time you would have to show it would be to actually purchase the tickets. We purchased ours in May at Shades of Green for a great discount, and no tax! we were staying at all star music- My husband obviously had to show the id to buy them, but once we had them we were never asked for the id again, I can't think of a situation where you would be, I think once you have the tickets they don't necessarily know they are military ones every time you use them. Hope this will help! Marybeth

I agree with Eeyoresbestfriend. My husband is also military and once you've purchased the passes, you don't need to show any more ID. The rates are cheaper and you can also get tickets for other parks and some dinner shows.

where can you purchase these tickets? My father is military and i can have him purchase them for us. Does it have to be at the shades of green?

I believe you can purchase the tickets at ITR on post, it is the tyravel and ticketing agency, but I found the selection is limited, and sometimes a better deal to buy at Shades of Green, And if you want a Stars and Stripes pass, you have to buy those at SOG, they are like a LOS, but for a 5 day is $222 for an adult, If your father isn't going with you, you could have him look into what is available on the post he is at. Anynore questions I'd be glad to help! Marybeth

Make sure you do carry your military ID with you when you use the "military" tickets. They do have military printed on them, and when you run it through the thing at the gate, it shows up on there as being a military ticket.

Tickets purchased at Shades of Green or on post can be used by ANYONE, no ID is required. It might show up that the ticket was purchased at a military outlet, but when using the ticket, no military ID is required. I specifically asked about this last Christmas, because we bought hoppers for my sister at ITT on base, and we wanted to make sure that she wouldn't have any problem using them. I was assured by ITT and by WDW that anyone can use the tickets, but they must be purchased by a military member or a dependant.

I agree, the ticket scanners at the parks do show that they are Military, but there is no requirement to show ID. :)

But will that be the same with the 50% tickets they are selling from Disney from Jan to April?

It would have to be the same, because you can buy those tickets for family and friends. We have relatives and friends meeting us there, so we will be buying tickets for them, as well as our kids, at 50% off.

Teh 50% Military tickets are for ACTIVE DUTY military. I called today and asked the same question- you have to bring a copy of active duty papers to show proff plus has a military ID.

Yes, you have to be active duty to buy the tickets, so you must have ID. But you do not have to be active duty or a dependent to use the tickets, so ID is not required to use the ticket once it is purchased. Plus, active duty papers are only required if you are in the Reserve or the Guard. Active duty military only need their military ID card for the free tickets and 50% off tickets.

Goes to show how different people get different info! My MWR office told me that the tickets that are purchased at a military outlet are to be used by the military members purchasing them. You could not purchase them for a friend because they are a military "perk". Just like shopping at the commisary, only the military affiliated person can use that privelege. When I said that you might want to carry your ID with you, I was going on the presumption that the military ticket was bought under the rules I listed above. Therefore, if the CM DID decide to ask for ID, you would need to produce it. I never said they DO ask for ID, but they can if they want if you are using a military ticket. Especially since we all know that they are not transferrable/sellable etc.
The 50% off tickets are going to be completely different! #1- they aren't being bought at a military outlet!!!! They are coming straight from the Disney "gates"- so they will probably show up saying something else rather than just military.
I still say be careful......if you are using a military privelege, you should be prepared to have to prove your military status. Just my opinion though!!!

I see what you are saying xplor144, but have you bought tickets at Shades of Green? They are also good for anyone in your party, military or not. And the Armed Forces Salute specifically mentions buying 50% off tickets for family and friends. It doesn't mention anything about those family and friends having to be military. That's why I called Disney and asked, and they confirmed that the 50% off tickets can be used by anyone, but they must be purchased by the military member.

As for the commissary or BX, non-military members can come in with you, they just can't buy items themselves. When my in-laws come to visit, she always comes with me to the commissary, because I don't know what they like to eat or to have around for snacks. That isn't breaking any rules. I can also buy items at the BX for gifts, they don't have to only be used by me or by my dependants. As long as I am not re-selling items, but giving them as gifts, there is not a problem.

you can buy up to 5 tickets at 50% off and they must be used within 7 days of purchase. Our base newspaper just printed the story.

It really is a great deal! And being able to share it with family and friends will make it even better! I can't wait until March!!

It really bugs me when people don't read the things that others write. Specifically, I wrote in my previous post that the 50% tickets are COMPLETELY different than the tickets you can buy through your MWR. The 50% off tickets are purchased from Disney straight by the consumer. I don't need anyone to point that out to me after I have already stated it- I'm not stupid.

I'm going to re-iterate. If you are going to purchase tickets from your MWR- something that is a military perk- you should be ready to prove that you are military, especially if you are told the same as me: that the tickets bought through MWR are to be used by the military family purchasing them. Now, if you buy yourself, your husband and your mother tickets- I would assume that your mother is going to be with you, so that if asked- you can produce your ID to show that you bought the tickets. My MWR specifically told me I could not purchase tickets um say....as Christmas gifts for someone that would not be travelling with me. Personally, I think it is best just to carry your ID with you all the time- you never know when it might come in handy. Heck, your McDonalds may offer a military discount!
As for the commisary- you can take someone in with you, buy items for their consumption while they are "staying" with you- but you can not purchase groceries there for their private use. That is against the rules. I know people do it- but that doesn't mean you are supposed to.

I'm sorry xplor144, if you thought I was saying you were stupid - I certainly wasn't trying to imply that at all. I'm just pointing out that we have bought tickets numerous times at MWR, and they have been used by family members and friends when they go to Disney. I asked both MWR and Disney about this, and I was assured by both that there is nothing wrong or unethical about this at all. If your MWR office told you something different, well that just goes to show that is often difficult to get the same answer to the same question from two different places. But, I can say that over the past 15 years, I have never been asked to produce any ID when entering a Disney park using tickets purchased at MWR, nor has anyone else using the tickets that I bought for them.

And of course I carry my ID with me at all times - that is a requirement.

Just wanted to add that when I stopped by SOG at the end of Nov to purchase tickets, I asked specifically about this matter because I had 2 friends I was buying tickets for and wanted to make sure that 1) I wasn't doing anything "wrong" and 2) that the people I bought them for would be able to use them without hassle. I was told that it was fine to buy tickets for family or friends and that NO they did not need a military ID to use them. Neither of my friends was ever asked to produce military ID.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter