• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Minnie Mouse now captain of all DCL ships

Because a ship has only one captain. There may be situations where multiple captains rotate being in command, but there is only one commanding officer at a given time. I'm fine with DCL having Minnie rotate with Mickey; I just don't want two captains at once.

How old are your kids? Is the idea of “co-captains” such a hurdle if we’re already running with the idea of anthropomorphic mice running the ship?

Because a ship has only one captain. There may be situations where multiple captains rotate being in command, but there is only one commanding officer at a given time. I'm fine with DCL having Minnie rotate with Mickey; I just don't want two captains at once.

Well in that case, the human Captain actually trumps both of them, and should be the only one showcased.

How old are your kids? Is the idea of “co-captains” such a hurdle if we’re already running with the idea of anthropomorphic mice running the ship?
You can't submerge into the feeling of the magic of Disney if you reject anthropomorphic mice being in charge.

Well in that case, the human Captain actually trumps both of them, and should be the only one showcased.
From that perspective, we might as well skip all of the character meet and greets, since they aren't really characters but just humans in costumes.

Hey, maybe everyone else is OK with multiple Captains running around. I'm fine with other people having their opinion. As a Naval Officer for the last 24 years, I just personally object to the idea of multiple characters presenting themselves as THE captain.

If we are trying to be 'modern' and make Minnie equal to Mickey, then how about the other characters? Donald is the only sailor of the bunch, why not make him a Captain too? Then we'd have to make Daisy a Captain also so her feelings wouldn't be hurt. And it would be mean and excluding if we didn't make Goofy a Captain if we were making Donald and Daisy in charge also...……

(Just my two cents)

So, I'm wondering what the pictures are going to be like for formal nights on the ships. 18 months ago, we had pictures with Captain Mickey in his dress white uniform and Minnie in a ballgown. Will both of them be in a Captain uniform? Will they alternate cruises where one cruise has Mickey in uniform and Minnie in a gown, and the next cruise has Mickey in a tux and Minnie is uniform? I'd prefer to not explain to my kids why there are two characters both being presented as the ship's captain.

If they ask, simply tell them: "Because it's 2019!" ;)

(Sorry, I got inspired by my Prime Minister. LOL)

I don't think they'll show both at the same time.

You can't submerge into the feeling of the magic of Disney if you reject anthropomorphic mice being in charge.

From that perspective, we might as well skip all of the character meet and greets, since they aren't really characters but just humans in costumes.

Hey, maybe everyone else is OK with multiple Captains running around. I'm fine with other people having their opinion. As a Naval Officer for the last 24 years, I just personally object to the idea of multiple characters presenting themselves as THE captain.

If we are trying to be 'modern' and make Minnie equal to Mickey, then how about the other characters? Donald is the only sailor of the bunch, why not make him a Captain too? Then we'd have to make Daisy a Captain also so her feelings wouldn't be hurt. And it would be mean and excluding if we didn't make Goofy a Captain if we were making Donald and Daisy in charge also...……

(Just my two cents)

Well, if Daisy is qualified for the job then she can be captain. (2019 ;) )

Last edited:
You can’t be a captain in pants? Oh, wait....you can!

Do a Google image search for Kate McCue (first female American captain of a mega-cruise ship) and note how many times she is wearing pants vs. a skirt.

If it makes you feel any better, it appears that Capt. Minnie does retain the option to switch things up if she wants:

DCL-Captain-Minnie-Youth-Programs.jpg

Thank you!!

As I said, all the female officers have the choice of a skirt or pants.

(And let’s be honest here - even in a skirt, Minnie is Mickey in eyelashes.)

I recognize that you have a different perspective than most around here, given your background, but those are your takeaways from Capt. Minnie? Breaches of real-life maritime protocol and “everybody gets a soccer trophy”?

The intended gender-equality message kinda trumps that? Maybe?

Thank you!!

As I said, all the female officers have the choice of a skirt or pants.

(And let’s be honest here - even in a skirt, Minnie is Mickey in eyelashes.)

Everyone knows Donald doesn’t have the temperament for a ships senior command staff position. Lol

And with all these proposed Captians, how am I supposed to accurately explain to my child the concept of maritime command structure.

Everyone knows Donald doesn’t have the temperament for a ships senior command staff position. Lol

And with all these proposed Captians, how am I supposed to accurately explain to my child the concept of maritime command structure.

A) Not sure what this has to do with my post.

B) Is anyone seriously explaining that to their kids on vacation?

You can’t be a captain in pants? Oh, wait....you can!

Do a Google image search for Kate McCue (first female American captain of a mega-cruise ship) and note how many times she is wearing pants vs. a skirt.

If it makes you feel any better, it appears that Capt. Minnie does retain the option to switch things up if she wants:

DCL-Captain-Minnie-Youth-Programs.jpg

You do know that Minnie isn't real? :-) I think I'm allowed to think she looks better in a skirt, aren't I? Or do I need to be politically correct or some such thing?

You do know that Minnie isn't real? :-) I think I'm allowed to think she looks better in a skirt, aren't I? Or do I need to be politically correct or some such thing?

She’s not? Mind = blown.

Of course you’re entitled to think she looks better in a skirt. And to be fair, I agree that the slacks might be initially confusing to some kids who might mistake her for Mickey until they see the eyelashes.

It’s just that DCL is making an effort toward promoting gender equality - that Minnie can do everything Mickey can do and doesn’t just have to be relegated to “First Mate” - which I think is an effort to be commended. But we’re focusing on “skirt vs. slacks”? Especially when slacks seem to be the standard for female captains and bridge crew?

You might dismiss it as “political correctness”. I might call it “phasing out an outdated and unnecessary stereotype”.

Last edited:
The intended gender-equality message kinda trumps that? Maybe?
I'm staying away from that part because I don't want to get into an argument about gender equality versus political correctness. (Or the follow-on of when will we have a LGBTQIA captain of the ship.) Simpler to just voice an honest question about will they show two "captains" at the same time, or will Mickey toss on his tux at some of the formal nights.

I'm staying away from that part because I don't want to get into an argument about gender equality versus political correctness. (Or the follow-on of when will we have a LGBTQIA captain of the ship.) Simpler to just voice an honest question about will they show two "captains" at the same time, or will Mickey toss on his tux at some of the formal nights.

Fair enough.

Frankly, after all these years of Minnie being in “second-banana” status as First Mate, I would be 100% OK with Mickey in his tux while she was in her captain’s formalwear.

we just got off the Dream today and Capt. Minnie was the one that came out into the port to take photos with everyone in front of the model ship.
Didn't they use to have both Mickey and Minnie come out? If this change means losing a character, I'm against it.

Thinking about this a little more.... I wonder if the target audience for Minnie meets - namely pre-school girls - care that she is now the captain, if they don't like her outfit as much. I'm not generalizing here... I'm talking about my own DD; she would much rather Minnie be wearing a nice dress for their picture together.

So, if my DD's opinion turns out to be prevalent, and they have less Minnie photo sales as a result, it'll be amazing how fast Minnie quits her new job!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter