Mission: Space number of Gs

BeckWhy

<font color=FF99FF>The Tag Fairy prefers to remain
How many Gs do you feel? Or are you supposed to feel?

I think it's about one and a half G's, now it was higher when they where doing the Pre-test but adjusted down when the ride opened to everyone.

:bounce:
I saw on a disney show on travel channel, mission space is a centrifuge that spins upwards of 40 mph.

people who have vertigo should not ride

g's - all i heard was that people feel like their organs are being squooshed and chest tightening..also they can't lift their hands

hope this helps

Believe all the hype! Don't ride Mission Space; The lines will be a lot shorter.

You don't feel like your organs are being crushed, and you can lift your head. I did not detect lateral or spinning movement. The G-force is probably close to what you would feel on an express elevator.

People with vertigo can get sick in a car when the wipers are moving!

Very simple- If you suffer from motion sickness, Don't ride it! If you are claustrophobic, Don't ride it!

I don't know how to equate MPH with G force although I could equate MPH with RPM if I knew the radius of the centrifuge (which I don't).

I rode Mission Space once (probably never again) and although I could "lift" my head from the seat headrest, it was difficult.

I too would like to know what the maximum G force is. By reducing the RPM, all other things being equal, the G force is reduced.

A useful idea (anyone agree?) is to have a "chicken session" every now and then. People would wait in the regular and fastpass lines in the normal fashion and when 24 (? each cluster or centrifuge has six cars that hold 4 people each?) people have stood aside at the boarding area for the chicken session, they are all boarded at once and the ride runs slower for that ride cycle just for them.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Swamped by email when you get back from the World? Send hasty off the top of your head snippets, say you will get back later if there are uncompleted parts.

If you find you need to use the word "if" a lot in a reply, stop and ask the sender to resend his request being more specific.

I'm really interesting in finding the load also.

I was on it during last summer's soft-opens, and was very impressed with the G's. I've pulled 6 g's in an aircraft, and I was guessing that this was maybe 4 (seems much higher than the RnR launch to me). But then I saw things indicating it was actually more like 2 g's. Anyone have a definitive number?

I'd love to sneak some kind of a spring gauge on so I could measure it!

-Pete

I have heard from various sources, including the Mission Space web site, that the Gs pulled are 3 - about the same felt by the astronauts during a Shuttle launch.

Yes, that seems low for a real space launch, but, you have to remember that the launch is a steady acceleration to orbital velocity. Gs measure the amount of force felt during the acceleration. As your body accelerates, it is travelling at a much higher rate of speed. But the rocket continues to accelerate. Since the rocket has much more mass than a person, it takes much longer for the rocket to reach higher speeds. It must continue to accelerate. Thus, the constant feeling of about 3 Gs until you are near orbital velocity.

Now that we get the physics behind the real thing, we come to why and how it works here on the ground for simulators (such as Mission Space). A centrifuge spins at a set velocity, mimicking the constant acceleration felt on the way to orbit (see above). The idea is that, if done well, the person in the centrifuge will not notice the spinning motion, they will only notice the acceleration (and with all the other stuff going on in Mission Space, it makes that feeling easier). Additionally, as an FYI, even though there is "weightlessness" (actually microgravity) in space, when there is any acceleration, inertia must still be overcome, so, when firing a rocket in space, a person will still feel a nudge, as if they were accelerating in their car from a stop.

I'll be happy to take a stab at any other physics related questions anyone may have.

The first time I was on Mission Space I was thinking about the spinning and it felt like a Tilt-a-Whirl. The second time I didn't think about the spinning and it felt like I was being launched in a rocket - and it was a lot more fun.

I have also heard and read from various sources that the G's are only 1.5.

These are some early ride specs:
The ride system manufacturer ETC has released the following specs for the generic version of the ride system. The Disney system appears to be a customized version, but would have similar specifications.

- 3 DoF Electric Centrifuge Platform
- +40°/-55° Pitch
- ±25° Roll
- +360° Planetary
- Up to 2.5 G's - SUSTAINED
- 10 4-Seat Gondolas [40 Seats total per unit]

I understand Mission: Space only pulls about 1.5G, but it is sustained much longer than the 4 to 5 Gs that Rock 'n Roller Coaster pulls.

JamesD- I'm guessing that you have the right answer. The mechanics of the attraction are capable of sustaining 2.5 G's, but the Mission Space G's have been regulated down 1.5 sustained to appeal to a wider audience without making people sick.

Still, when you consider the entire experience of the attraction, it's very exciting.

But I'll still take "Aerosmith" and the G's!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter