Mission Space ?

Green is mild, orange is intense.

Only difference is on orange you feel positive and negative g forces

Which is intense and which isn't? How intense is the not intense one? What exactly does it do?

The GREEN mild side is like any other simulator ride. There is some movement, but nothing drastic.
The ORANGE intense side is a huge centrifuge type thing and spins. I can't do that anymore, so we've only done the GREEN side.

The green side really isn't all that intense at all. No spinning. You're sitting in a seat, harness lowers on top of you. You then lean back as if you were taking off straight up (launch). Then you fly through space, so you get a weightless feeling, then come in for a landing. More fun than I just describe, but that's the general concept. It's really not intense, just be aware it's a tight space, so if you're a big person and/or claustrophobic, it'll feel really tight.

I just did both within the past few days. The more intense one is a little bit more intense. You feel more pressure changes - probably the positive and negative g forces like CAS239 explained. During part of both, where you "slingshot" around the moon, you feel like you are flying upside down. The whole time though, you are in a SIMULATOR, right side up, with a harness. I don't recall any spinning (like around and around in circles.) There was definitely simulated movement. I'd say try the less intense one, and then when you figure out that disney overstates the intensity level on most things, then do the other one. There isn't a HUGE difference, but there is definitely a difference

Do people regularly vomit on this ride?
Sorry I have to ask considering the description...

I love the orange side! Love the G force and weightlessness and really feeling like I'm blasting into space. Once tried green because the line was shorter. Borrrring!

Pretty sure my husband would like the launch into space ride, but he says he claustrophobic. The controls of the capsule come pretty close, so I have not insisted he try it.

Do people regularly vomit on this ride?
Sorry I have to ask considering the description...

Vomit bags are available in the ride vehicle. I've seen people bending over the trash cans in the exit hallway.

But vomiting is not a regular activity of most people who go on the ride.

Oh no, this puking is not acceptable. We will have to set them straight beforehand. Absolutely no vomit allowed. Just no.

Or maybe i can still change my fastpass:)

We were just there last week. I didn't ride at all, due to what I read here. My sons and husband rode it - my older son (11) insisted riding orange even though I warned him not to (he loves thrill rides so he thought he could handle it). My younger son and husband rode green. Well as soon as they walked off, my husband said "that was great! No problem at all! Lukas is sick though." Lukas (my older son) said he almost barfed and it took him a good hour or so to recover.

Orange is all the way. Green is go easy on me. Rode orange twice. Hoped how bad I felt after the first ride was a fluke. It wasn't. Green only for me now.

I've been on both versions multiple times. Orange does tend to give me an upset stomach, which usually takes about 30 minutes or so to recover from. Green side has never given me any issues. There are suggested ways to help prevent motion sickness on the orange side: the best being, keep your head still by placing it back against the head rest, and keep your eyes on the screen. Once you start moving your head around and let your eyes wonder, it can confuse your inner equilibrium which is what gives you motion sickness.

The difference between the 2 is significant, both in the way they can give you motion sickness, and in how they operate. Orange is a centrifuge and each capsule is on the end of an arm (picture a bicycle wheel, and there is a capsule on the end of each spoke). Motion in this version is both spinning (centrifuge) and each capsule also pivots up and down. Each capsule is enclosed so there is no view to how you are moving, all you see is the interior of the capsule you are in. The green side does not have the centrifuge spinning, but each capsule does pivot up and down to give you the motion suggested by the experience.

Happy travels.

I am taking my 2 youngest kids in January for our first ever trip (two older teens and husband didn't want to go).

My 12 yo son is a space nut who is insisting on riding the orange (more realistic) side. I am so afraid he will get sick and it will ruin our day! I'd prefer to just skip the attraction all together, but he has his heart set on it. I guess we'll see how it goes (I'm trying to plan for a later time, preferable close to closing so we can just hook it back to the resort if he has issues.)

He loves thrill rides and usually has no issues with motion sickness, but I know Mission Space is a whole different beast.

MS is one of the rides we go on most in all of WDW, I've probably been on it 50 times, easily. Always on green. I have never seen anyone vomit coming off green. I'm sure it has happened, and probably si much more frequent on the orange side, but in my experience I've never seen it happen. I think you're safe on the green side.

Can a parent stand in line with their kid, but then not get on the ride? Kinda just stand off to the side and wait for the ride to end? I'm good on coasters, but anything with a moving seat and a stationary screen kills me.

I've never done the mild one but in the intense one your cheeks and mouth sort of twitch and pull.

A teenage boy was particularly ill on the one we were on.

Was sat down outside afterwards being comforted as he was dizzy and feeling sick.

The G-forces on MS:Orange feel similar to riding a Gravitron ride from a state fair. (The big round spinning spaceship ride where you stand against a wall panel and you stick to the wall and the panel rises up the wall from the centrifugal force.)

In my opinion, I think MS:Orange has more intense forces acting on the riders than the actual space shuttle simulator at Kennedy Space Center does.

Can a parent stand in line with their kid, but then not get on the ride? Kinda just stand off to the side and wait for the ride to end? I'm good on coasters, but anything with a moving seat and a stationary screen kills me.

If the kid's old enough to ride alone (7+) then sure. The ride exits into a big play area and then a gift shop, and there are benches in the back hallway. Any CM at the attraction should be able to let a parent know where to wait to catch a kid on the way out.

Yes, as long as the kid is 7 or older they can ride alone and anyone can wait in line and choose not to ride. The CM will direct you to an exit. In the case on Mission: SPACE, like ravenclawtrekkie said, there is a hallway on the other side of the simulator room that leads down to the post-show area. You could wait right there for the ride to finish. Also, on Mission: SPACE you might let them know ahead of time that you are not riding so they can fill the seat, otherwise you will be assigned a position and all that. I'm actually not sure how they handle that kind of thing on that particular ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter