Monorail Red door OPEN while in motion! Video Link

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by SmithSmith, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmithSmith

SmithSmith Registered

An IGer is reporting that this past Saturday the door on Monorail Red was being worked on prior to departure but apparently wasn’t fixed correctly because the door swung open mid journey! Luckily, no one was injured, but it’s very scary to think about. Has this happened before?

There’s video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BdnR5S8lacM/

This is unacceptable.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  2. AMusicLifeForMe

AMusicLifeForMe DIS Veteran

I have never heard of it happening, but I’m assuming this is why they say to “stand away from the doors” while on the monorail.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. HopperFan

HopperFan "It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess."

5. SmithSmith

SmithSmith Registered

This could have easily become a tragedy. Those cars are often more populated than they were in that video.

I’m finding it hard to sleep after watching it...

6. SmithSmith

SmithSmith Registered

Right! It was the comments section of that story where I found the video. Didn’t post a link to WDWNT because I didn’t think we could without it being censored. Oops. Haven’t posted here in a while so I don’t quite remember the ins and outs.

HopperFan likes this.
  7. HopperFan

Oh I didn't read down that far. I sent DS the video link you posted ... he was just there this weekend, on monorail a few times (I try to never ride it, I don't trust it at all) and he told me ............ oh there are new giant stickers on doors ........... so I googled and that article came up.

SmithSmith likes this.
  8. SmithSmith

SmithSmith Registered

Definitely read the comment section of that story. The whole story is worse. Sounds like Disney handled it VERY poorly.

HopperFan likes this.
  9. SmithSmith

SmithSmith Registered

I agree. Last time I rode it the AC wasn’t working and it smelled strongly of urine. :crazy2: I had no intention of riding it ever again after that. Then that new story broke of pieces falling off of it and now I don’t even want it near me. Now this? Ugh! Disney get your act together and replace it!

10. HopperFan

My big issue is aside from all the obvious is they are completely ill equipped to evacuate it. In past it has taken hours and hours, moving from car to car after taking forever to get equipment there. I don't want to be trapped in one.

Imagine what it will be like if they have to evac all those new gondolas ........... :crazy2:

Keeping my feet on the ground.

11. SmithSmith

SmithSmith Registered

So true! Completely agree! I remember those horrid evac stories as well. There’s really just a mountain of evidence on why you shouldn’t ride the monorail. ::yes::

Thankful my next stay is at Animal Kingdom Lodge, where good old fashioned bus service is all they have. ;)

...and if I don’t like it I can take my car!

12. writerguyfl

writerguyfl DIS Veteran

I was there over New Year's. One night, I was on the Resort monorail and we stopped on the highest section of track between Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa and Magic Kingdom. After several minutes of silence, the pilot came on the intercom and told us they had to reset the automated gates in the station. We waited about five more minutes before continuing.

All that time, I was thinking: This would be the worst section of track in which to get stuck. This is roughly where we were stopped:

[​IMG]
    Image courtesy Bing Maps (Bird's Eye View): https://binged.it/2CVtdZo

That's not where I'd want to be if the doors opened unexpectedly, either.

13. umichigan10

umichigan10 DIS Veteran

BUY. NEW. TRAINS.

14. mom2rtk

mom2rtk Bring Back MARIE!

It is absolutely crazy that they continue to operate this system with cars so long past their expected lifespan.

15. mom2rtk

With all the long range expense planning they have announced lately, I'm surprised and disappointed we haven't heard anything about them buying updated trains.

16. umichigan10

umichigan10 DIS Veteran

I just don’t understand it. Yes it’s a capital expense, but nothing says awful PR like somebody dying while riding your marquee transportation system

17. Q-man

Q-man DIS Veteran

On Thursday 1/4 around 4:50pm we witnessed a similar issue, but barely cracked open, for the orange/gold train that happened between GF and MK. Took 20 minutes to limp in the last bit as limp mode is capped at 3mph.

SmithSmith likes this.
  18. ArwenMarie

ArwenMarie DIS Veteran

This is basic safety. Scary.

I'm so glad people have the ability to videotape this kind of stuff themselves and stick it on the internet.

19. mom2rtk

An incident on the monorail would be a bigger PR disaster for WDW than a gator eating a child. Because you can't blame Mother Nature for monorail maintenance.
    At times like this, I bet Disney longs for the days before social media.

20. SmithSmith

SmithSmith Registered

Exactly what I was thinking. Disney got really lucky this time. This could’ve been so much worse.

mshanson3121 likes this.
  21. SmithSmith

SmithSmith Registered

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.