Monorail Red door OPEN while in motion! Video Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is basic safety. Scary.

I'm so glad people have the ability to videotape this kind of stuff themselves and stick it on the internet.

An incident on the monorail would be a bigger PR disaster for WDW than a gator eating a child. Because you can't blame Mother Nature for monorail maintenance.

At times like this, I bet Disney longs for the days before social media.

It makes me hope the awful PR from stuff falling off the trains and doors staying open will force them into action, but that seems to be wishful thinking

It makes me hope the awful PR from stuff falling off the trains and doors staying open will force them into action, but that seems to be wishful thinking

Unfortunately, I agree that it’s wishful thinking since these stories don’t seem to generate much attention. Which irritates me to no end. How is that even possible?! Why do some people not seem to care about this? I don’t know if you read the comments section of the WDWNT story that HopperFan linked to but there were people actually questioning the IGer! Saying she, and the others in the car, couldn’t have possibly been too scared since there was laughter going on. They also suggested the people in the car couldn’t have been too worried because they didn’t bother to use the emergency phone. Some people! How could anyone defend this?! :headache:

Unfortunately, I agree that it’s wishful thinking since these stories don’t seem to generate much attention. Which irritates me to no end. How is that even possible?! Why do some people not seem to care about this? I don’t know if you read the comments section of the WDWNT story that HopperFan linked to but there were people actually questioning the IGer! Saying she, and the others in the car, couldn’t have possibly been too scared since there was laughter going on. They also suggested the people in the car couldn’t have been too worried because they didn’t bother to use the emergency phone. Some people! How could anyone defend this?! :headache:
It seems like one of the government agencies would have something to say about things like this - and Disney's response to these existing, and potential, issues. I don't know exactly what jurisdictions come into play, though.

Not using that phone was the SMARTEST thing they did since they were all fairly secure and no children were on the loose. If they had called it in the train would have been stopped and and evacuation would have occurred. Those folks would have been trapped on that train for MANY hours. The number one reason I avoid riding the monorail at all costs is their clear lack of a good plan for emergencies and all prior evacuations have taken way too long.

It seems like one of the government agencies would have something to say about things like this - and Disney's response to these existing, and potential, issues. I don't know exactly what jurisdictions come into play, though.

I think this has been discussed before. For some reason the recesses of my mind are saying since it's a Disney service (probably listed as attraction) and it does not leave Disney property ... like taxis or public buses .... it falls into a different classification with different regulation. I know we discussed this with the Minnie Vans before.

I think this has been discussed before. For some reason the recesses of my mind are saying since it's a Disney service (probably listed as attraction) and it does not leave Disney property ... like taxis or public buses .... it falls into a different classification with different regulation. I know we discussed this with the Minnie Vans before.

Doh! If I had known WDW considers the monorail an attraction then I would’ve posted this thread in the TPAS forum. That way it would’ve gotten more views.

Any chance we could move it? As many people as possible needs to see this so they know something dangerous like this could happen.

Doh! If I had known WDW considers the monorail an attraction then I would’ve posted this thread in the TPAS forum. That way it would’ve gotten more views.

Any chance we could move it? As many people as possible needs to see this so they know something dangerous like this could happen.

NO NO, that is just me saying that. It's a train on Disney property .............. people ride it for fun even when they don't have to ............... and I think Disney does all it can to avoid any govt intervention. Keeping their Minnie Vans on property probably allows them to avoid all the "hired car" rules and taxes ........ am sure since this and Disney buses stay on property they are treated completely different than all other like forms of transportation.

The article I read said the phone didn't work. Thank heavens there weren't any children in that section!

There really is no danger if everyone just stays seated or moves away from the open door. Honestly, the monorail isn't a thrill ride. No one will be "thrown" out an open door. I find the coverage of this to be a bit overdramatic.

Should this be happening? NO! Disney should be ashamed of the state of the monorails and should have replaced them awhile ago.

But let's stop with the melodrama. The people in the video weren't freaking out because they were never in any real danger. And if there had been kids onboard? I'm sure their parents would have held them tightly.

Remember when the parking lot trams didn't have doors? Did people just go flying out of those day in and day out?

There really is no danger if everyone just stays seated or moves away from the open door. Honestly, the monorail isn't a thrill ride. No one will be "thrown" out an open door. I find the coverage of this to be a bit overdramatic.

Should this be happening? NO! Disney should be ashamed of the state of the monorails and should have replaced them awhile ago.

But let's stop with the melodrama. The people in the video weren't freaking out because they were never in any real danger. And if there had been kids onboard? I'm sure their parents would have held them tightly.

Remember when the parking lot trams didn't have doors? Did people just go flying out of those day in and day out?

It's not just kids that would be the issue, but any adults with disability. Or if the monorail stopped short and people where swayed across, or lost their footing. Or any number of things could have happened.

NO NO, that is just me saying that. It's a train on Disney property .............. people ride it for fun even when they don't have to ............... and I think Disney does all it can to avoid any govt intervention. Keeping their Minnie Vans on property probably allows them to avoid all the "hired car" rules and taxes ........ am sure since this and Disney buses stay on property they are treated completely different than all other like forms of transportation.

Still would like it moved. If there can be treads about the availability of rose gold ears on the TPAS then this thread can be on there too.

So I’ve been using the monorails all week since I was at Bay Lake Tower. I didn’t see any issues with them whatsoever. Do we know about what time this was on Saturday? I remember hearing monorail issues after the half marathon on Saturday so this could be related. Do we also know how it opened? I can’t imagine it left the station like that did it?

What coverage? Over dramatic? You’re kidding me right?

It doesn’t take much of an imagination to think of a scenario where this incident could have ended tragically. Kids, strollers, the elderly, people with mobility issues, intoxicated guests, etc. Heck, just even having a full capacity car could’ve been tragic.

Trams? Completely different! There’s no standing on trams and they aren’t high off the ground. :rolleyes: Oh and on monorails people expect doors!

Last edited:
So I’ve been using the monorails all week since I was at Bay Lake Tower. I didn’t see any issues with them whatsoever. Do we know about what time this was on Saturday? I remember hearing monorail issues after the half marathon on Saturday so this could be related. Do we also know how it opened? I can’t imagine it left the station like that did it?

Read the comments section of the WDWNT article HopperFan linked.

Read the comments section of the WDWNT article HopperFan linked.
Ok so doors opened after it left the station. That makes sense. I did notice the stickers and announcements on the monorail loud speakers but didn’t think anything of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter