Monorail Red door OPEN while in motion! Video Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
NO NO, that is just me saying that. It's a train on Disney property .............. people ride it for fun even when they don't have to ............... and I think Disney does all it can to avoid any govt intervention. Keeping their Minnie Vans on property probably allows them to avoid all the "hired car" rules and taxes ........ am sure since this and Disney buses stay on property they are treated completely different than all other like forms of transportation.

This! The monorail is arguably my favorite part of WDW as odd as that seems. My most vivid memory from my first trip ever is being the "pilot" in the front car with my dad. I mean we rode it over and over. I think all we did that trip was hop from the monorail to Journey Into Imagination from open to close. DH and I always spend our first day "monorail chasing" and try and ride every color operating that day on all the loops.

I've been on the monorails when they have been packed and people smooshed next to the doors. If one of the doors would have opened, good chance someone might have popped out of the train. End of the monorails if that had happened.

Yes - we stayed at the Contemporary for the fist time last trip and dang those end of night runs are packed! I have definately been thrown against the doors more than once be it from a jolt from the train or someone swinging a backpack into me.

It absolutely breaks my heart to see the monorails at this state of almost disrepair. I don't want to lose the whole monorail system because Disney won't step up and address this with a much needed update!

I see it's been picked up by News 13 and WESH so far. WFTV isn't likely far behind. Sounds like they are reaching out to Disney for comment. Hopefully they will get some answers.

Good. I’m glad. But sadly I don’t expect much to come of it. :sad1:

I was interested in government jurisdiction as well. In the past, it seems the NTSB has investigated Disney monorail accidents. Not sure if they have any jurisdiction in the absence of an injury.

Is there any indication of what caused the door to open? IG is blocked at work.

Those doors are able to be opened from the inside for safety reasons, and cannot be "locked" in the closed position. How it opened is the crux of the whole thing. I find it odd, that a system with redundancies, would have one set of doors just open. Anyone that's rode a monorail knows all the doors open and close in unison.

Those doors are able to be opened from the inside for safety reasons, and cannot be "locked" in the closed position. How it opened is the crux of the whole thing. I find it odd, that a system with redundancies, would have one set of doors just open. Anyone that's rode a monorail knows all the doors open and close in unison.

She reported that the door of monorail Red was being worked on for about 10 minutes before departing. She then said it must have been jury-rigged because the door flew open when they went around a bend in the track.

I'm guessing the connection between the door and main shaft was broken. Probably a pushrod. If that's broken/missing the doors would freely pivot.

Not sure what you mean by they can't lock? I'm shocked they don't have redundant locks, you can still have manual overrides of locks. Just like on a coaster.

I'm guessing the connection between the door and main shaft was broken. Probably a pushrod. If that's broken/missing the doors would freely pivot.

Not sure what you mean by they can't lock? I'm shocked they don't have redundant locks, you can still have manual overrides of locks. Just like on a coaster.

That was my guess. Pneumatic or hydraulic push-rod malfunction.

The timing of the large "Do Not Lean on the Doors" stickers just seemed to coincidental. I've now read the comments in the WDWNT. Although I find that site rather sensationalist.

That was my guess. Pneumatic or hydraulic push-rod malfunction.

The timing of the large "Do Not Lean on the Doors" stickers just seemed to coincidental. I've now read the comments in the WDWNT. Although I find that site rather sensationalist.
I don’t think sensationalism in this case is necessarily a bad thing. The idea that these trains are literally drpopping objects and potentially people from the sky is beyond acceptable

I don’t think sensationalism in this case is necessarily a bad thing. The idea that these trains are literally drpopping objects and potentially people from the sky is beyond acceptable

For a "news" outlet, sensationalism is not doing the job correctly. We have enough of that garbage being spewed.

When you think of these issues, there's been two incidents in the last two years??? Considering the miles, and usage these vehicles get, that's pretty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter