Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tina1

DIS Veteran
Has anyone seen this yet? Found it on the WDWmagic site. Hope its not so, this would effect staying at the Monorail resorts.

Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours
Jul 09, 2011

Beginning on July 11 2011, the Epcot monorail service will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing, and from August 1 2011, the Magic Kingdom monorail will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing. This means that in both cases, the monorail will not be able to return guests back to their resorts after evening Extra Magic Hours. Guests will instead be transported by bus and boats where available. Morning Extra Magic Hour service has not been affected. All indications are that this is a permanent change

Yea, I just caught a Facebook post by Dream Unlimited (affiliated with this site) that posted the same thing.

No mention if this is a cutback or for maintenance.

This is really one of the most horrible things . . . if I ever get to stay at a deluxe again, I want those darn monorails running! I know it's not like they are stranding you, but come on - that's one of the huge perks of staying at Poly, CR or GF. You have that option!!

That seems strange since they really push the ease of the monorail resorts transportation. Wonder what brought about this change?

:guilty: First no characters now no monorail....hmmmmm That bus from AKV doesn't sound too bad.

If this is temporary, for maintanence, that's fine. From what I've read, they are often having difficulty keeping them running. So they could use some attention to improve reliability.

If this is permanent, it doesn't really make sense to me. Monorail transportation is a huge benefit to paying the higher price for a Monorail resort. And EMH is so heavily promoted as an on-site benefit. So I would think that removing the ability to use the two perks together would not make the monorail resorts more attractive.

I would think that now they would be trying to offer fewer discounts and codes, and still get guests to book. For example, we have booked deluxe the last three times, but only because we have had a 40% off code. It would make sense to me if their goal was to try and get us to love those resorts so much that we would stay there at rack rate. Cutting perks of that resort is not going to encourage us to book again at a higher rate.

:confused3 So will EMH folks walk to and from BLT and CR and then Poly and GF get to ride a bus together?--the horrors of paying deluxe and sharing a bus. I can understand some things but that aggrevates the horns off a billy goat.

Well I guess Polys would take the boat and then GF guest could walk too.

Someone with photoshop skills should put together a preview photo of what the monorail resorts will look like with no monorail track going around the lake...

Quote without comment. This is official from an internal source:

"From time to time, we make adjustments to our operations to accommodate for planned transportation maintenance. With that in mind, operating hours for the Epcot Monorail system will be modified to operate one hour after regular park close beginning July 11, 2011 and the Magic Kingdom Monorail system will also operate one hour after regular park close beginning August 1, 2011. At that time, watercraft (where applicable) and additional buses will be available to transport guests to their destination.
Return service from evening Extra Magic Hours in the parks will be supported by watercraft (where applicable) and bus transportation. "

This is really upsetting. Monorail access is one of the best reasons to stay Deluxe. Now, not so much. And I'm sure they'll raise Deluxe prices just as much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter