Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the monorails and LOVE the boats. I insist on heading straight for the ferry when we first arrive and I feel like we're really there once it casts off.

I'm not a fan of the buses though. We once waited for over 30 minutes in a raging thunderstorm just trying to get to the Allstars from DHS. We finally gave up since our line had barely moved and found a taxi. We've waited endlessly for buses from various resorts when trying to get to Downtown Disney. Those are just some of the events that caused us to give up on buses and just drive whether onsite or off.

Buses are quicker, cleaner, less people and drop me off right at my door. I never found the monorail to be that quick. The last 3 times we have taken it, it got stuck on the track which is probably why it is in dire need of maintenance.

I have never, ever had a bus break down.
Generally speaking buses are not as fast as the monorail, unless you happen to be lucky and catch one right away. If I had a dollar for everytime I waited at least 15 -20 minutes for a bus (never that long a wait for the monorail) I would be rich. For those in an ECV / wheelchair it is a whole long process to get them on the bus, the monorail can load ECV's / wheelchairs a hundred times faster. As for being less crowded I am not so sure, to me the buses always seem packed, and people are always standing. You are right though about the recent often occuring "stoppages' on the monorail - how much of this is due to WDW being extra careful as a result of the 2009 accident could be a factor.

Generally speaking buses are not as fast as the monorail, unless you happen to be lucky and catch one right away. If I had a dollar for everytime I waited at least 15 -20 minutes for a bus (never that long a wait for the monorail) I would be rich. For those in an ECV / wheelchair it is a whole long process to get them on the bus, the monorail can load ECV's / wheelchairs a hundred times faster. As for being less crowded I am not so sure, to me the buses always seem packed, and people are always standing. You are right though about the recent often occuring "stoppages' on the monorail - how much of this is due to WDW being extra careful as a result of the 2009 accident could be a factor.

Good point! I totally concure.:thumbsup2

And if you have ever been on an Epcot area resort bus that is shared between 5 resorts then you may feel that walking is an upgrade and perhaps safer. :lmao:

I recall that particular route.....DTD is the one I recall taking from the Boardwalk and it was seemingly an endless journey...

Buses are quicker, cleaner, less people and drop me off right at my door. I never found the monorail to be that quick. The last 3 times we have taken it, it got stuck on the track which is probably why it is in dire need of maintenance.

I have never, ever had a bus break down.

I want to ride your bus!!!! What resort?

when those of you who make fun of those of us that do like the buses, you can see why some get the impression that some you act like riding the buses is beneath your station.

And not you personally Robo, but others.

I do not believe that people are saying they are above riding busess.... if I stay at OKW for example I know if I want to go to MK its a Bus for me.... but at the CR/BLT/Poly/GF the answer availible for nearly 40 years has always been monorail....

For the record I am not the biggest fan of the bus system....I know Disney does wonderful things within the bus system and I appreciate the service it provides my family and yours...but I still do not feel any magic while riding it...my teenage son who must use a wheelchair HATES it (reasons posted earlier post). I dont blame him...people on countless occassions toss him dirty looks as he is loaded before them (Too freaking bad....He would gladly trade with any of them...wheelchair included!)

It doesnt really matter I suppose as far as the evening EMH...seems like on another forum some are saying the recent removal of M&Gs at the evening EMH and now is just a step on the road to deleting the evening EMH's all together by slowly lowering attendance by steps similar to these... and while I sincerely hope that line of reasoning is wrong, it still sounds plausible.... I wonder how many of you that currently think TDO is doing the right thing would feel then?

This cutback affects ALL dining, EMH, and party guests. not just monorail resort guests. It's not a minor change. IMO

It is closer to 11PM than 10Pm every time we leave Narcoossees,and Citrico's.
I guess Victoria and Albert's can skip there second dinner round totally because we NEVER left that restaurant before close to midnight.

See, this is what I don't understand. I don't stay on the monorail, but dine at Poly and GF late - we generally book ADRs for 8 PM or later. As a non-monorail guest, I don't rely on the monorail. I either drive to Poly or GF or take the monorail (and yes, I can still take it at least until 8 PM) from MK over. The monorail, however, does not help me get back to my resort; I take a cab - particularly from V&A's last seating!

Are we talking about people needing to take the monorail back to MK to get the bus back to their resort? These are people (like me) used to taking buses, so taking a bus from Poly to MK to catch the bus back to my resort isn't really that big a deal IMO. (Remember, the monorail won't be running but as long as MK is actually open, I won't be stranded at the resort.) I didn't pay the exorbitant rates to stay at a monorail resort. I know some people not staying there would prefer the monorail, but is it really the deal breaker for other resort guests that everyone's talking about?

(And for the record, yes, I agree this is a cutback that results in a change of transportation. And it's negative.)

I think the only bus the Boardwalk, Yacht Club, Beach Club, Swan & Dolphin all share is the one which goes to Downtown Disney/Typhoon Lagoon.

Usually the Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin share the Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom/Blizzard Beach bus.

So that means the Yacht Club and Beach Club only share buses which go to the Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom/Blizzard Beach.

This is true and was my experience when we stayed at the YC. However, not to try and sound negative but that one bus for 5 resorts was way too packed. The first bus was so packed that out of the several people waiting only one couple got on. The second bus was so packed that not everyone at the YC waiting got on that one. After seeing the third bus full and having been at the bus stop almost 1 hour I chose common sense and safety for my family and walked over to a cab sitting in the resort parking lot. I'm willing to believe my experience was the exception and not the norm.

I do think part of the problem is that the monorail is the monorail...... and not a bus. It has its own intrinsic advantages over a bus. But I think the biggest issue remains to be seen. Will there be ample buses with minimal wait times? If Disney steps up to the plate in a big way to keep the waits minimized, then this could go much better than expected. But if the buses stay packed with long waits........ THAT's where the real problem is.

It doesnt really matter I suppose as far as the evening EMH...seems like on another forum some are saying the recent removal of M&Gs at the evening EMH and now is just a step on the road to deleting the evening EMH's all together by slowly lowering attendance by steps similar to these... and while I sincerely hope that line of reasoning is wrong, it still sounds plausible.... I wonder how many of you that currently think TDO is doing the right thing would feel then?

Don't forget the reports earlier in this very thread that people taking Disney surveys actually reported being asked how they would feel about them eliminating EMH. That was the third strike in my book......

See, this is what I don't understand. I don't stay on the monorail, but dine at Poly and GF late - we generally book ADRs for 8 PM or later. As a non-monorail guest, I don't rely on the monorail. I either drive to Poly or GF or take the monorail (and yes, I can still take it at least until 8 PM) from MK over. The monorail, however, does not help me get back to my resort; I take a cab - particularly from V&A's last seating!

Are we talking about people needing to take the monorail back to MK to get the bus back to their resort? These are people (like me) used to taking buses, so taking a bus from Poly to MK to catch the bus back to my resort isn't really that big a deal IMO. (Remember, the monorail won't be running but as long as MK is actually open, I won't be stranded at the resort.) I didn't pay the exorbitant rates to stay at a monorail resort. I know some people not staying there would prefer the monorail, but is it really the deal breaker for other resort guests that everyone's talking about?

(And for the record, yes, I agree this is a cutback that results in a change of transportation. And it's negative.)

Keep in mind a lot of people like to tour the monorail resorts after a trip to the MK or an ADR at one of those resorts. This is especially true during the holiday season. Let's hope they don't stop decorating the resorts in an effort to reduce that demand!

We'll should find out Friday what the exact deal is. Anyone going to be there to "monitor" the situation?

(Remember, the monorail won't be running but as long as MK is actually open, I won't be stranded at the resort.)

I was thinking about this this morning, and I apologize if it's been discussed and I forgot/missed it somehow. What about when the MK closes, actually closes early? Say in Jan/Feb, when it closes at 8. If the Resort Monorail only runs until 9, then what? So someone staying at CSR, for example, dining at Citricos. Finishes their meal at 9:05. No monorail. No bus to MK, it's closed. Will they have to take a bus to DTD or whatever park is open, to then get a CSR bus? Or will there be a monorail resort/TTC bus loop, with buses to all the resorts at the TTC?

Actually, thinking out loud here, I really don't know what happens in that situation NOW. Can someone tell me? The resort monorail is open, but where would they take it? Are there buses at the TTC? My sister and her boyfriend stayed at CSR this spring when we were at Poly. But MK was always open late, so they'd just go there for a bus, or we drove them back to their resort. Gosh, I'm confused!!!! Seems like IF this all comes to pass, a taxi would be so much easier!!

I apologize if it's been discussed and I forgot/missed it somehow. What about when the MK closes, actually closes early? Say in Jan/Feb, when it closes at 8. If the Resort Monorail only runs until 9, then what?

Yes, it has been discussed at length in this thread, many times.
It is one of the principle reasons that the thread exists, so you're not alone.

It is also just one of the reasons that I (at least) think that they will not (ultimately) shut down the Resort loop as early as the MK loop.

I think if anyone hears rumor of Disney starting its own taxi company, we'll have our answer!

I think this thread ran it's course long ago, so I'm going to close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter