• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Monte Crisco???

Personally I LOVE the Three Cheese Monte Cristo, however they are very rich and filling and not for everyone's taste. I had a similar experience with both a Mint Julep and a Dole Whip - both are highly recommended on here and I just had to try both during my last trip. Neither of which I liked or will ever get again. To each his own. I'm sorry you had a bad experience!

I love the sandwich, even with the Jelly, but I only have one piece since I know it's heart attack city and make sure there are at least four to five other people who are into the sandwhich sitting with me, so I don't get to eat it very often.

DH HATES them with a passion as well as any other greasy food at DL, i.e. the corn dogs. He gets deathly ill when he eats anything fried there. Do any of you guys have a similar experience with the fried stuff at DL or is he a rarity?

I agree the description sounds horrible so I have never ordered it. I have tried the Dole Whips thinking they sounded great and did not like it:confused3

OP - I don't care for Monte Cristo sandwiches at DL for just this reason. Either they're frying it at wrong temps or using healthier oils that don't fry well (soak into the food too much), but they should not drip and run with grease! I used to eat MC's at Bennigans and had one recently (forgot the restaurant's name) and they weren't like this. They were very rich, but not a squishy grease ball.

The Monte Cristo I had at Bennigan's was nasty. To each their own.

The Monte Cristo I had at Bennigan's was nasty. To each their own.

The OP received a grease-sodden sandwich just like I did, which is why I chimed in and elaborated why I didn't like DL's Monte Cristo. I didn't want her to think a Monte Cristo "should" drip grease down her arm. In my experience, the Monte Cristo's I've had at Bennigan's and elsewhere weren't *nearly* this greasy. But some people must like the grease, so to each... :rolleyes1

Holy shishkabob! That sandwich is now $31.00 ? Why? How much cheese is in it after all? For that price, I hope half a cows worth of cheese is served. And with cheese on the side.

I believe the sandwich is around $18.00, she also got gumbo and a salad! But nonetheless, that's a lot of money to drop on something that you can't eat!!
:sick: :confused3 :rotfl2:

The OP received a grease-sodden sandwich just like I did, which is why I chimed in and elaborated why I didn't like DL's Monte Cristo. I didn't want her to think a Monte Cristo "should" drip grease down her arm. In my experience, the Monte Cristo's I've had at Bennigan's and elsewhere weren't *nearly* this greasy. But some people must like the grease, so to each... :rolleyes1

I can't help wondering how much the individual chef has to do with the greasiness of the Monte Criscos. At our Bennigan's the MC was not only greasier than at DLR, but it was also overcooked. :scared1: I suppose that's part of the reason our local Bennigan's is no longer in business.

Holy shishkabob! That sandwich is now $31.00 ? Why? How much cheese is in it after all? For that price, I hope half a cows worth of cheese is served. And with cheese on the side.

I think it's $24.99 now, was there last week however we did dine at the Blue Bayou during their lunch hour and I'm pretty sure that's what I paid. Maybe there's a different price during dinner? Why aren't Disney prices protested more often by fans?

It's an odd sandwich and I keep going back and forth on it, I've only ordered it twice from DL and it's definitely large enough to share with another person. I'll eat it, not terribly gross but I think I don't like it very much.

Let's just say I'd rather eat a Monte Cristo sandwich than a Dole Whip! Talk about awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sick: :headache: :mad: :eek: :guilty: :snooty: :scared: :sad: :furious: :worried: :darth:

I believe the sandwich is around $18.00, she also got gumbo and a salad! But nonetheless, that's a lot of money to drop on something that you can't eat!!
:sick: :confused3 :rotfl2:

Unfortunately the price went up, actually I think all the Blue Bayou prices went up. I was just there last week and that was the first thing I noticed. I'm about 90% sure I paid $24.99 for a Monte Cristo during the lunch hour, I wanted to order the Tesoro Chicken but it was $29.99 which I'm pretty sure was not that much when I dined there last year, went in expecting to pay $24.99 for that.

And I should mention that I'm not really sure about the "$0.99" part, maybe it was just rounded to $25 and $30 but I do remember the chicken being $5.00 more than the sandwich.

If you get the sandwich at CO it isn't quite as pricey. DBF loves the Monte CrisTO (not Crisco) and gets it every time we eat at CO. I love it too but can't eat it all so I usually get the gumbo and side salad and we share, I eat 1/4 of the MC and he eats some of my gumbo and salad. Personally I think it's a very tasty sandwich, I just can't eat it all (for health reasons) so I share with him. :)

Why aren't Disney prices protested more often by fans?

Next time you go to DL try to get a table at BB without a reservation. You will answer your own question. The place is always crowded. It is a unique experience that people are willing to pay for. Our family would always go until the novelty wore off and now we think it is a ripoff and refuse to pay.

The Monte Cristo is heavy, greasy, a heart attack waiting to happen. Prefer a fish dish and/or gumbo at the BB.

The hand dipped corn dogs at the Main St. red cart - awesome!

The mint juleps - LOVE them at the BB and the Mint Julep Bar when it's open! Extra lime wedges and mint springs for me, hold the maraschino cherry. We are addicted. We tried them out of the machine at the French Market once and it was awful - maybe something was wrong with the machine that day? And no, I am not being influenced by the surroundings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter