Moonlight Magic AK for July

As you probably know, having to wait for FOP is just the nature of the beast. Really, the lines moved well on all the rides we waited for and it's nice to not have to deal with G+/LL for a few hours. FOP was about 40 min total for us, including the pre-ride shows.

They were letting folks into the park just before 6 so that's a solid 5 hours, plenty of time to get all the rides in and get some goodies to eat (even with the FOP wait).

Yikes! That was something I didn't want to hear in preparation for our MM on Aug 2nd! I was afraid that might be the case though. Someone had mentioned on this thread 15 min wait times for FOP in their past MM experiences but this is more like what I recall from our last MM at AK in Aug 2019. :sad2:
Yes, I was there the same night last year as the 15 minute person and I guess they were lucky because that was not our experience. Last year it went until 12, we looked at 11pm and it was 75 min, we rode everest like 3 times and ran back over about 1150 and it was 45 min. It took 45 minutes. We were pretty much the last people out of the park since the party had been over for 30+ minutes. We could have wondered around, there wasn't anyone directing us to leave but we were completely exhausted.

Wow an hour or even 45 mins for FOP seems long for MM. The last MM event I went to at AK was in February 2020 shortly before the shutdown. Had an awesome time - they even had the Safari open in the evening (it did close early though). The wait for FoP was long at the start of MM in 2020 but at the end of the event I was able to ride twice with no wait. I am only including the wait time to the pre-show of course, the pre-shows themselves add around 10 mins.

Registered to go to the August event, but we have rode FoP many times. Maybe just focus on the characters and games.

Are you able to use the game vouchers right at 6pm, or do you need to wait until Moonlight Magic officially begins?

They did let us in before 6pm and we headed to safari but animals were in the road so the vehicles were delayed. We waited about 20 minutes knowing we would be about 3 more vehicles before we would get on and decided to leave since we were staying at AKL-Savannah View anyway. Line was short for chicken dumplings so went ahead & got those then headed to Dinosaur with about a 10 minute wait. FoP was about a 30 minute wait then walked onto Na'vi River then rode Everest. Got the glazed nuts at Drinkwallah - love those! There was no line for the free Mickey Bars at the Starbucks all night - ate 3 Bars & a strawberry bar. Used my last voucher on a soda. Lines at the games were longer than we wanted to wait. Dance party in Dinoland was fun. When I was sent the survey, I did request that the quick-service meals replace the snack vouchers - would much prefer QS to snacks. Overall a good night - AK is harder due to limited rides.

That is very helpful, as we are going in Aug. for the first time. Any other snacks you saw that would be worth it?

same thoughts as above. we were on the safari car with the stop-for us, it was great, right next to the 2 new (6 weeks) baby zebras. there is grilled corn at Harambe fruit market by Safari-wish I'd known-we had chili cheese fries, onion rings, cupcake, free mickey bar, soda. Most rides 15-20 minute wait including preshow, except FOP--45-60 minutes, skipped it. We were done, including extra walk around the park by 9:30pm. It's great as a free event. But for those who are resale purchasers or didn't get in with lottery--no FOMO here if you missed it.

That is very helpful, as we are going in Aug. for the first time. Any other snacks you saw that would be worth it?
Just depends on what you like - they send an email about a week before listing all the places that will be open. My DD didn't like the pretzel but that could just be her. Dole Whip is available too but with the free ice cream, I didn't want that. The seasoned fries at Mr Kamals are good too

Great info-even though It could be a little different in Aug, could you possibly post the contents of that email? I really enjoy panning in advance.

I was fortunate enough to get in to the August 2nd event with general registration today!

My question is related to parking (we are offsite this time, so will be driving.) The email says "Complimentary parking at Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park will be available beginning at 6:00 pm." Considering we are allowed into the park at 6, our plan was to arrive around 5:30ish to have time to park, take the tram, etc. and get in line. Will they really not let us park until 6? Can anyone who drove and parked for July's event confirm what time they were allowed to park?

I was fortunate enough to get in to the August 2nd event with general registration today!

My question is related to parking (we are offsite this time, so will be driving.) The email says "Complimentary parking at Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park will be available beginning at 6:00 pm." Considering we are allowed into the park at 6, our plan was to arrive around 5:30ish to have time to park, take the tram, etc. and get in line. Will they really not let us park until 6? Can anyone who drove and parked for July's event confirm what time they were allowed to park?
The parking booths were not staffed when we arrived at 5:45 pm. Have a great time!

Can anyone who attended last night share what characters were out and where?
Hi! We were at the July 11 event and were really into the characters! Here is everyone who was out and where: In Africa, Tarzan and Jane were meeting right before the Harambe Fruit Market, near where you check in for Wild Africa Trek. My husband saw people waiting and handlers out around 7:30 pm and just randomly got in line while we were waiting for snacks. They had the Tarzan soundtrack playing and were giving us hints that the music might have something to do with who was coming out. We weren’t sure if it would be Tarzan and Jane or Terk and it ended up being Tarzan and Jane and we were second in line! It was a great meet. They switched off every half hour with Tarzan’s ape parents pictured above. And then Terk met across the way by the Mombasa Marketplace. People were lined up there too before 8:00 pm, but here was the catch. Terk came out with Kala and Kerchak after Tarzan and Jane’s first set so everyone in that line was waiting until 8:30 pm when Terk came out. We were able to see Tarzan and Jane at 8:00 pm and then get into Terk’s line before his first set so definitely go to the Tarzan and Jane’s line first. We didn’t wait too long for Terk once he got out but I noticed when we walked by after 10 pm that the line was really short and there were only a few groups there.

Manny and Mothma (?) from Bugs Life we’re meeting at Discovery Island right near Creature Comforts.

Darkwing Duck was meeting at Dinoland near the Fossil Fun games and Triceratops Spin. My kids were thrilled about that so I waited why they stood in line for the games. That was probably our longest character wait. It was maybe 20-30 minutes or so including a break between sets. My kids said he is super rare in the parks so I was happy to wait for them. Launchpad, Scrooge McDuck and Goofy were dancing at the DJ party and not doing official meets. My kids were a little bummed about that. My sons are teens and would have preferred a traditional meet and my daughter didn’t care about meeting them either way.

Moana was meeting at her usual place. There was some talk that she might have someone with her but she was by herself from what I heard. And then Chip and Dale as Rescue Rangers were meeting at the Feathered Friends stage. We went over there after the ducks and only had about a 5 minute wait. No Mickey and Minnie like the pictures I saw from last year. We met Tarzan and Jane, Terk, Darkwing and Chip and Dale and had time for snacks and rides. We met Moana earlier in the day so I don’t know how long that line was. And we skipped the Bugs Life characters and Kala and Kerchak.

Oh and Divine was on Discovery Island by the Adventures Outpost as you walked towards Asia decorated with fairy lights which was super cool to see.

I would really like to hear from someone who was there on how long the waits were and what food vouchers they were able to redeem.

We focused more on the characters but did go on Everest which was about a 12 minute wait at 9:45 pm ish. We jumped in the Flight of Passage line at the end of the night around 10:40 pm and it was indeed a 45 minute wait. I thought for sure it would be shorter but we were glad to do it because we hadn’t ridden it yet that day. We were in AK earlier in the day and one other thing to note is that the safari only ran until 7:00 pm. We were planning to ride it right before official park close not realizing that everyone going to the event would do the same thing so the line reached to Tusker House by the time we got there. 😳 It had been a 15 minute wait at 6:00 pm so in retrospect we probably should have done it earlier. But now reading the other comments, it sounds like that might have been caused by animals on the path too.

We used all our vouchers but to echo the above comments almost all the possible items were sweet instead of savory. For savory items we got the seasoned corn (very good), Mickey pretzels, popcorn and the cinnamon glazed almonds and pecans. I wanted to try the seasoned fries, but the line was at least 20 people deep when we walked by around 10 pm. For sweet items my kids got the dole whip strawberry float, my husband got an iced coffee and we got two Night Blossoms at Pongu Pongu in Pandora. We got plenty of Mickey bars and strawberry bars at both locations with very little to no wait. We used up all our snack vouchers but we were glad that we had a big meal at lunch because there really weren’t a lot of snacks that could double as a meal.

My kids all waited to play a round of games but the lines were long so we didn’t use up all our tickets. Two of the three won though and got a little plush dinosaur to take home.

All in all we had a great night and thought it was really fun event! We felt very fortunate to have been able to go.

Last edited:
Hi, we're going in August. I skimmed the thread but didn't see anything about when/where you can get the wristbands before 6. I'm guessing they still aren't doing it at the DVC hotels, but how early in the park?

TIA!

Hi, we're going in August. I skimmed the thread but didn't see anything about when/where you can get the wristbands before 6. I'm guessing they still aren't doing it at the DVC hotels, but how early in the park?

TIA!
They sent an e-mail a few days before with details about pick-up but if it stays the same as July, you could pick them up from 4-6 pm in the park. I forget the exact location but I think it was in Asia not too far from Everest. They give a specific location in the e-mail. Hope that helps!

They sent an e-mail a few days before with details about pick-up but if it stays the same as July, you could pick them up from 4-6 pm in the park. I forget the exact location but I think it was in Asia not too far from Everest. They give a specific location in the e-mail. Hope that helps!
Thank you!!! Very helpful. I was trying to figure out the timing with my group.

I haven’t heard anything about wristbands. What are they for?
Because the parties are mix-ins (they start before the park closes), they need to be able to identify who still belongs in the park after the party starts, and the day guests who need to leave. The CM's will set up "human walls" starting at the back of the park and slowly moving towards the front. Eventually, the sweep funnels all of the day guests to the front of the park and out. Any guest attempting to walk past the human wall is required to show their wrist band. In other words, it helps to herd the cattle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter