(More) Alcohol Coming to MK

But seriously, if you don't like Disney's decisions, vote with your wallet. It's not just about the alcohol...

If you don't like four parties a week, vote with your wallet.

If you don't like EMH cut from three hours to two, vote with your wallet.

If you don't like the up-sell parties, vote with your wallet.

This is under your own power.

Ignoring the patronization, my point is, Walt Disney did not want it in MK. He thought it would detract from the intended atmosphere, and I feel like he knew what he was doing. That's now overturned and I find that a bit sad.

When you've had your kid get stuck near two plowed adults, who are throwing haymaker punches at each other in MK (Not So Scary Halloween Party, Sept 2014), we can talk about overreaction. I realize my experience is not the norm, and it isn't even why I don't support the decision. It's more about Walt's wishes, for me.

I agree. I will still love the place and will always want to go there. It's just one decision I don't agree with.

Sorry that you experienced that - and I do think Disney could be better about addressing guests not behaving well/negatively impacting other guests (due to alcohol or just from being jerks)

I personally think we have to be careful with the "What did Walt want?" concept. I mean there was a tobacconist on main st for year - but they removed it as times change

Disneyland opening wasn't too far removed from prohibition - and now we are moving towards allowing recreational marijuana... 50 years is a long time

But seriously, if you don't like Disney's decisions, vote with your wallet. It's not just about the alcohol...

If you don't like four parties a week, vote with your wallet.

If you don't like EMH cut from three hours to two, vote with your wallet.

If you don't like the up-sell parties, vote with your wallet.

This is under your own power.

Oh, if we could get enough people

As a DVC member I used to bring my little cooler to the pool all the time with beers in it.....actually got turned in by someone at the OKW pool once until they found out i was one of about 10 groups around us with beer in the coolers (probably one fo those Dis Board rule follower people) ;)

Interesting. I never even considered it was against the rules. I think of Disney as one huge resort property, so you can drink anywhere on the hotel grounds. But I guess it makes sense. I'm sure DH will pretend he didnt hear me and play ignorant if he is ever approached. That being said, he has drank beer (cans) every time he was out around the pool and he always says hi to the groundskeepers, maintenence staff etc and nobody has ever said anything. Might be different if it was a group of rowdy young people versus one near 40 year old man lol

As a DVC member I used to bring my little cooler to the pool all the time with beers in it.....actually got turned in by someone at the OKW pool once until they found out i was one of about 10 groups around us with beer in the coolers (probably one fo those Dis Board rule follower people) ;)

1) Weird.
2) I used to work at OKW, and cannot remember anyone being stopped from brining in their own beer (unless they had glass bottled beer).
3) The only times I have heard anything was due to rowdy people who were drinking.
. . . They were asked (kindly, at first), to behave and stop drinking.
. . . If they continued, Security (or the "Duty" Manager) to asked them to leave the pool area.

I'm fine with it and if having dinner etc I'd love a glass of wine or fun spirit. I'm 50 and earned the right and enjoynment of an adult beverage with or without anything I want. In fact it's something we do more on vacation because we are not driving.

A few points brought up here make me smh. Ive seen many MANY more seriously rude ignorant parents screaming, yelling, publicly shaming, and even slapping their kids in MK as I have anyone that's had too much to drink in Epcot.

Save your " protect my innocents from drunken behavior" spiels. There is alcohol is 99% of restaurants in the real world. I'm gonna guess you don't limit your dining experiences outside MK to places that do NOt serve alcohol. And at least they can't drive down Main Street in MK.

Something no one has mentioned here so far , and that I find a rather odd habit of the younger generation of parents is hauling your kid to bars. I have not been to a lounge or bar in WDW property yet that didn't have kids in it. Zero. 100% of the lounges I have visited had children. Some well behaved , some not. Many of them running, playing, and sitting in seats paying adults could have occupied. Varying times of day and night. It's also seen in many more places in the outside world. Take your little munchkins with you to the sports bar or breweries . I raised two kids and didn't feel the need to drink while on parental duty. We paid for sitters for the rare privilege of going out for adult evenings and or going to lounges or bars. Of course now that they are grown it might explain why I feel free to indulge in wine. And plenty of it.

I should be able to have wine in the park if you can bring your kid in the bar.

As long as it stays specific to these sit down places, I don't hate it. For nostalgia, I liked the dry rule. Kind of seemed that despite pressures, WDW knew that MK didn't need it, so they didn't have it. I think that because it is coming on the heels of so many other up charge and frankly seemingly desperate attempts to increase revenue, it seems worse than it is. I hope this doesn't get rolled out to carts and QS locations, but I don't think the momentum will stop at the restaurants. It doesn't really affect my view of the place, but I'll use the word disappointed.

I am excited about this and am having a hard time understanding the negative feelings. Let's face it - the planner/coordinator role that most of us play for our Disney vacation can be stressful and a drink with dinner would be divine.
I am genuinely curious about the attitude of several posters that alcohol can never be served when there are families around. Do you not take your children to restaurants other than McDonalds/ChickFilA at home?

I am excited about this and am having a hard time understanding the negative feelings. Let's face it - the planner/coordinator role that most of us play for our Disney vacation can be stressful and a drink with dinner would be divine.
I am genuinely curious about the attitude of several posters that alcohol can never be served when there are families around. Do you not take your children to restaurants other than McDonalds/ChickFilA at home?
I think it has more to do with peoples' feelings of "tradition." Consider the people who are opposed to changes to Universe of Energy in Epcot or changing the Chinese Theater in Hollywood. Folks remember them with fondness from years back. It's like a family's Christmas traditions, just try to change that up and see the rebellion received from family members. In this case, Walt Disney didn't want alcohol served in the Magic Kingdom. Consider peoples attitudes towards liquor at that time. Times change, but people sort of get locked into attitudes/traditions and resent any attempt to change.

I have a totally unrelated question regarding this topic. Why do people refer to alcohol, beer, wine, etc. as an "adult beverage?" Why not call it what it is in the discussions? Just curious.

I think it has more to do with peoples' feelings of "tradition." Consider the people who are opposed to changes to Universe of Energy in Epcot or changing the Chinese Theater in Hollywood. Folks remember them with fondness from years back. It's like a family's Christmas traditions, just try to change that up and see the rebellion received from family members. In this case, Walt Disney didn't want alcohol served in the Magic Kingdom. Consider peoples attitudes towards liquor at that time. Times change, but people sort of get locked into attitudes/traditions and resent any attempt to change.

I have a totally unrelated question regarding this topic. Why do people refer to alcohol, beer, wine, etc. as an "adult beverage?" Why not call it what it is in the discussions? Just curious.
I agree with the first part of your post, and my earlier comments still apply. Tradition says NO KIDS in the bar..... lol

And to the adult beverage part, because it covers all the bases. Some times it's a glass of wine, or maybe a lovely martini, a margarita, a beer, you get the idea. Adult Beverage is something you can't put in a juice box or baby bottle✌

I think for the short term, this allows you to not have a bartender(or bar). Servers can pour beer and wine. Mixed drinks and cocktails would require some one dedicated to it full time, along with some space to do it. That may come in time with restaurant renovations/re-themes.

I have a tough time with the arguments that this decision will lead to drink kiosks and drunken behavior. In general I have a tough time with folks that project doom and gloom for some future scenario based upon factors X, Y and Z that haven't happened yet.

It's just drinks in the restaurants. It's not bars. It's not drink kiosks. It's not to go cups of everclear.

That being said if there is drunken behavior exhibited, it should be dealt with by Disney staff.

I welcome it, and enjoy having a beer or two with dinner when the opportunity exists. My biggest concern is that they choose good beer to serve.

I agree with all of this but especially the bolded. They have been doing fairly well with at least one good selection at the new locations

Abt 12 at several locations, Abracadabar has Gulden Draak, Tiffins has Xingu, Yak and Yeti has Golden Monkey, and the canada cart has some Unibroue selections.....

I'm not one that says that alcohol can never be served when families are around.

But I have to point out that I'm not sure that those who do put the Magic Kingdom in the same box as Applebees/Chilis........If so, their vacation budgets could be drastically slashed.

I'm not one that says that alcohol can never be served when families are around.

But I have to point out that I'm not sure that those who do put the Magic Kingdom in the same box as Applebees/Chilis........If so, their vacation budgets could be drastically slashed.
JMO--I think the point was many families routinely have a nice meal out at Applebees/Chilis without a lot of angst, worries and pearl clutching.
In a similar way, they can have a nice meal out in the MK. If someone choose to have big worries about what "might" happen, that's their choice.

JMO--I think the point was many families routinely have a nice meal out at Applebees/Chilis without a lot of angst, worries and pearl clutching.
I see it as the same in MK.

No to belabor the point, but after your meal at Chilis you don't go walking around Chilis for another 8 hours.....

I think their point is they don't want bad behavior in the parks. I don't think they are worried about the atmosphere in Tony's....Perhaps I'm wrong?

No to belabor the point, but after your meal at Chilis you don't go walking around Chilis for another 8 hours.....

I think their point is they don't want bad behavior in the parks. I don't think they are worried about the atmosphere in Tony's....Perhaps I'm wrong?

Well, I've seen both concerns in this thread. (1) people that think this will/could lead to more bad behavior in the parks outside of the restaurants as people will have imbibed (either just from having too much at the restaurants or that this will lead to beer carts and the like out in the streets) but also (2) people that see MK as being the land of innocent fantasy and that kids shouldn't have to see any adults drinking alcohol in MK, including at dinner - that it conveys the message you need to have alcohol to have a good time

(I am sure there are a lot of opinions more nuanced that this - just trying to summarize the two angles I have seen)

Well, I've seen both concerns in this thread. (1) people that think this will/could lead to more bad behavior in the parks outside of the restaurants as people will have imbibed (either just from having too much at the restaurants or that this will lead to beer carts and the like out in the streets) but also (2) people that see MK as being the land of innocent fantasy and that kids shouldn't have to see any adults drinking alcohol in MK, including at dinner - that it conveys the message you need to have alcohol to have a good time

(I am sure there are a lot of opinions more nuanced that this - just trying to summarize the two angles I have seen)

I get 1, 2 I empathize with, but it's a little too deep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter