• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

More Epcot entertainment cuts...Japan, UK, Italy...so far

To me the cutting of these performances and shows from the different countries around World Showcase to me says "We don't care about the performing aspect of these cultures, we just care about what kind of money the shops and food can bring in for us." I mean getting rid of these performance groups, whats is there to randomly draw you in sporadically to that country ? I always see larger crowds around them watching so its not like these acts are not received or attended well by guests.

To me the cutting of these performances and shows from the different countries around World Showcase to me says "We don't care about the performing aspect of these cultures, we just care about what kind of money the shops and food can bring in for us." I mean getting rid of these performance groups, whats is there to randomly draw you in sporadically to that country ? I always see larger crowds around them watching so its not like these acts are not received or attended well by guests.
100% agree. Without the entertainment, World Showcase isn't really much more than an internationally themed outdoor mall/bar. But I think Disney cutting anything that doesn't increase revenue is pretty much what we can expect after this closure.

This is REALLY stupid.
What made Disney magical (yeah, I'm using past tense) was the total awe and wonderment you could get from the experiences. Somebody in charge read his text book on theme parks and that they're places where people go to ride roller coasters and so if we just stick to core goals we can maximize profits while minimizing these esoteric costs that add nothing to the bottom line.

You see the same thing in Vegas too - the idealists who built the town and made their money have been replaced by subpar business wonks who looked the park like features and statues and fountains and said "Hey, none of this is making us money" and tore them all down to put up another starbucks or pina collada bar. Heck, I was in Vegas last week and the impressive lobby underneath the glass ceiling that had furniture where people could sit and wait for their cabs or people has been sectioned off for additional seating for the lobby bar, squishing the check in lines down. Worse the bar, which I've always loved, CUT their menu and offerings after the expansion. ?!?

The more Disney tightens their grip the more dollars will slip through their fingers.
THIS!!! Also, with the parks being so crowded you would think they would want all these other experiences to help spread out the crowds and give people something to do besides waiting in hour+ long lines. Slowly but surely Disney is killing itself... I really hope Universal comes in and just trounces Disney for their incompetence...

For anyone thinking that live entertainment isn't being cut, that it will be replaced by something new "fresh", consider this-on our first visit to Epcot, 22 years ago, there were close to 40 live entertainment acts (remember Future Corps, for example?) On our most recent visit, we counted 10 acts.

Disney is also not a cultural center it’s a business, I totally agree with you, however I understand they don’t “care” about nothing but money.

Disney is also not a cultural center it’s a business, I totally agree with you, however I understand they don’t “care” about nothing but money.
Once people understand and accept this statement it makes it easier to understand Disney's decisions. Of course we don't agree with the decisions but it's what they're here for. Thinking that their main goal is to entertain, bring magic and happiness, is naive.

This is REALLY stupid.
What made Disney magical (yeah, I'm using past tense) was the total awe and wonderment you could get from the experiences. Somebody in charge read his text book on theme parks and that they're places where people go to ride roller coasters and so if we just stick to core goals we can maximize profits while minimizing these esoteric costs that add nothing to the bottom line.

You see the same thing in Vegas too - the idealists who built the town and made their money have been replaced by subpar business wonks who looked the park like features and statues and fountains and said "Hey, none of this is making us money" and tore them all down to put up another starbucks or pina collada bar. Heck, I was in Vegas last week and the impressive lobby underneath the glass ceiling that had furniture where people could sit and wait for their cabs or people has been sectioned off for additional seating for the lobby bar, squishing the check in lines down. Worse the bar, which I've always loved, CUT their menu and offerings after the expansion. ?!?

The more Disney tightens their grip the more dollars will slip through their fingers.
Amen - this is really hitting me hard. World Showcase won't be the same without the unique entertainment, and I know we've all seen them perform the same show or at least very similar show a dozen times, but for me that's part of the beauty of it all. In a world of ever changing lifestyles and craziness... you go to Disneyworld and your favorite memories are still there. The live entertainment to me makes Disney magical. They are really making a big mistake. Somebody please save our Disney!

I don't think it was Walt's main goal to make money. Nuff said. It was to give people of all ages a magical escape from the world where they could, for at least a little while, forget their troubles and feel free to skip and laugh and be a kid... no matter their age.

The entertainment is one of the things that makes Disney unique from other amusement parks. The fact that they have other things to do besides just rides made it a wonderful vacation spot for our family because my husband is not a fan of thrill rides and some rides in general. I know things in general are going to be different because of the coronavirus. I just hope it does not end up a permanent thing and Disney becomes just like any other amusement park.

For anyone thinking that live entertainment isn't being cut, that it will be replaced by something new "fresh", consider this-on our first visit to Epcot, 22 years ago, there were close to 40 live entertainment acts (remember Future Corps, for example?) On our most recent visit, we counted 10 acts.
I remember the good 'ol days when we would bounce back and forth between the British Invasion and Off Kilter shows :rockband:, with the UK kiosk :drinking1conveniently located between the 2 stages! For years I only thought there were 2 countries in World Showcase! :rolleyes1 I also miss the Living Statues and the World Showcase Players.

Last edited:
The only thing that would be left at EPCOT for cultural offerings would be pick-a-pearl in Japan, if they have the staff. San-Ni-Ichi anyone?

Disney has to be very careful with cutting entertainment, but this may not be completely about the money, they may have to make these cuts at EPCOT, as many of these groups are from other countries and there may be travel restrictions that would prevent them from being here.

But Disney needs to be very careful or they will loose the regulars to the parks that do keep the entertainment going and the regulars are who will keep them in business until international travel restrictions are lifted around the globe. This is true on both coasts, their AP base is going to be their golden ticket, but only if they don't alienate them by eliminating all of the entertainment and if they handle things like the AP extensions poorly, then they risk loosing out. For example out here on the west coast, Knott's will have entertainment that rivals Disney's quality and the locals will go there instead, especially with how much less expensive it is and add in that Knott's offers affordable all season dining, etc. and Disney really has some risks if they eliminate too much entertainment. I am sure the same holds true for Disney World, I just don't know which park(s) will step up there.

Disney has to be very careful with cutting entertainment, but this may not be completely about the money, they may have to make these cuts at EPCOT, as many of these groups are from other countries and there may be travel restrictions that would prevent them from being here.

But Disney needs to be very careful or they will loose the regulars to the parks that do keep the entertainment going and the regulars are who will keep them in business until international travel restrictions are lifted around the globe. This is true on both coasts, their AP base is going to be their golden ticket, but only if they don't alienate them by eliminating all of the entertainment and if they handle things like the AP extensions poorly, then they risk loosing out. For example out here on the west coast, Knott's will have entertainment that rivals Disney's quality and the locals will go there instead, especially with how much less expensive it is and add in that Knott's offers affordable all season dining, etc. and Disney really has some risks if they eliminate too much entertainment. I am sure the same holds true for Disney World, I just don't know which park(s) will step up there.
All the entertainers that were cut were local Orlando residents, no work visas or anything of that sort.

Those are pretty sobering numbers, Dorothy, 40 to 10. :sad1:

I really missed the Kristos when they left, used to be by The Fountain of Nations. And I really enjoyed Masquerade in Italy, so sad when they got cut.

Hate to say it and many will disagree with me but it's been many many years since I actually stopped to watch any of these performances. If I happen to be walking by a country and music is being played, that's cool that I get to hear it but I don't stop for it. So, in that sense, I feel like the ambiance will take a hit. But I mainly go for the food, the drinks, the shops, etc.

I remember the good 'ol days when we would bounce back and forth between the British Invasion and Off Kilter shows
Same here-the GREAT 'ol days! :)

The British Invasion Off Kilter Continuous Concerts remain the very favorite thing I ever did at WDW-so much fun to hear 5 1/2 hours of great music in an unbelieveable atmosphere!

Dinner would be a quick stop to pick up some Fish 'n Chips at Yorkshire County to take straight on to the next show!

Don't see anything ever topping that much fun!:)

All the entertainers that were cut were local Orlando residents, no work visas or anything of that sort.

I thought I had read that many of the workers in World Showcase had been sent back to their home country. Any idea if that was accurate or just another rumor going around?
Maybe I read it wrong or the report was inaccurate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter