Morimoto Asia Hep A alert

We had a minor epidemic of Hep A in our city back in the spring. I went ahead and got the vaccine because we eat out a lot.

From Mayo Clinic:
Causes

Hepatitis A is caused by a virus that infects liver cells and causes inflammation. The inflammation can affect how your liver works and cause other signs and symptoms of hepatitis A.

The virus most commonly spreads when you eat or drink something contaminated with fecal matter, even just tiny amounts. It does not spread through sneezing or coughing.

Here are some of the specific ways the hepatitis A virus can spread:

• Eating food handled by someone with the virus who doesn't thoroughly wash his or her hands after using the toilet
  • Drinking contaminated water
  • Eating raw shellfish from water polluted with sewage
  • Being in close contact with a person who's infected — even if that person has no signs or symptoms

Didn't I read that Disney had applied for a patent on a new handwashing system? If so, I see now why it is so much needed.

I hear you.... but must ask: is it likely that a diner is going to report this? Where would they do so? Any lawsuits are probably a good 3-6 months out....

If a diner was diagnosed with Hep A I believe the doctors typically contact the health department and try to investigate where it may have come from just like food poisoning, shigellosis, E. Coli etc cases.

Correct me if I'm wrong but no diner or patron contracted Hep A from Morimoto. An employee was diagnosed with it. I don't know that anyone needs to cross the place off their list forever.
We opted to cancel. We aren't crossing it off forever tho.

Also, isn't this notice to alert people who could have been exposed therefore cases could be unreported.

Either way, we will try it eventually.

Frankly, I think the time to worry was before the worker was treated, not now. I imagine that if I wanted to be sure I would dine risk free, the best time would be now, when they are aware there was a problem and have taken the steps to address it. Canceling at this point makes no sense to me.

If your going to cross off one place due to a Hep A incidence be glad it was caught and reported prior to anyway getting sick, sometimes it is not caught till many get sick.

If a diner was diagnosed with Hep A I believe the doctors typically contact the health department and try to investigate where it may have come from just like food poisoning, shigellosis, E. Coli etc cases.

Yes, we ask HPI (history of present illness) and if we find they did not travel overseas within the last week, we typically ask them where they ate in the last week, and send a form over to the local DOH.

Last edited:
Now would probably be a good time to go since I'm sure the staff are super diligent about cleanliness after this revelation.

Chef M is probably positioned right next to the bathroom sink and is personally washing everyone's hands after they do their business.

Past tense. Not going forward. Crossing the restaurant off one's list now is unnecessary.
Regardless, if someone says they would rather not go.. oh well, it's a personal choice. It's up to individuals to decide if they are comfortable with something or not. No big deal.

Correct me if I'm wrong but no diner or patron contracted Hep A from Morimoto. An employee was diagnosed with it. I don't know that anyone needs to cross the place off their list forever.

People may have contracted the virus and not know yet. If the worker had it for awhile and didn't know, he could have passed it to hundreds of people. Hep A is very, very easily passed by food workers to people who ate the food they handled. You can have Hep A without symptoms for awhile.

People may have contracted the virus and not know yet. If the worker had it for awhile and didn't know, he could have passed it to hundreds of people. Hep A is very, very easily passed by food workers to people who ate the food they handled. You can have Hep A without symptoms for awhile.

Apparently it's been reported that this was a not a food worker, but a hostess. Someone that is not handling your food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter