Mother's day gathering

momz

DIS Veteran
We are planning to host my extended family at our new house for Mother's Day on Sunday. There will be about 12-14 people in attendance.

We've been wanting to have a Salsa party and this seems like the perfect opportunity. We will have a mortar and pestle for each person and I will roast up a bunch of salsa ingredients ahead of time, can't forget the lime, cilantro and garlic too. Our guests will choose their ingredients and we will mix up our customized salsa together.

Then, people can make their own meal using the following options:

Salad
taco shells
tortilla chips
shredded beef
refried beans
shredded cheese
sour cream
guacamole

The margaritas will be in the blender as well!

Thoughts? What are you doing for Mother's day?

Sounds like fun. I did a taco bar for my dads birthday last year (10 people) and it worked out great. I just bought the salsa because I'm not fancy :-), but everyone had plenty of food.

Sounds delicious. Can I come to your party?

My sister owns a lake house and has invited us all there (my family, my mom/dad, and them). When we go to her lake house (never for Mother's Day before), we always pitch in to help with food. I have asked my sister several times what I should bring and she kept saying "It's Mother's Day. I think the husbands are handling the food." (My DH and hers are good friends going all the way back to middle school, so that should work.) This morning I finally asked DH if he'd talked to BIL about the food plans. "Um, no... but I will." Turns out BIL hadn't thought about it either.

Long story short -- DH is supposed to bring the stuff to make hamburgers and fruit. I was already planning to go to the grocery tomorrow so it makes sense for me to pick the stuff up. But the only thing DH put on the grocery list was "ground beef." (I asked him if BIL was taking care of buns, toppings, etc or if we needed to get stuff for that too "Um, I think we are..." but he hadn't put any of that stuff on the list. And for fruit he said "get whatever kind of fruit looks good. Argh. It's not the cooking itself that bothers me, it's the thinking about what to have, making sure we have all the ingredients, etc. And somehow, that's back on my plate. Sigh. Oh well... it should still be fun at the lake.

Sounds delicious. Can I come to your party?

My sister owns a lake house and has invited us all there (my family, my mom/dad, and them). When we go to her lake house (never for Mother's Day before), we always pitch in to help with food. I have asked my sister several times what I should bring and she kept saying "It's Mother's Day. I think the husbands are handling the food." (My DH and hers are good friends going all the way back to middle school, so that should work.) This morning I finally asked DH if he'd talked to BIL about the food plans. "Um, no... but I will." Turns out BIL hadn't thought about it either.

Long story short -- DH is supposed to bring the stuff to make hamburgers and fruit. I was already planning to go to the grocery tomorrow so it makes sense for me to pick the stuff up. But the only thing DH put on the grocery list was "ground beef." (I asked him if BIL was taking care of buns, toppings, etc or if we needed to get stuff for that too "Um, I think we are..." but he hadn't put any of that stuff on the list. And for fruit he said "get whatever kind of fruit looks good. Argh. It's not the cooking itself that bothers me, it's the thinking about what to have, making sure we have all the ingredients, etc. And somehow, that's back on my plate. Sigh. Oh well... it should still be fun at the lake.

lol. What is it about men? My brothers are like that. My husband would put some thought into it, but would be running his ideas past me the whole time rather than just taking the bull by the horns.

Can I bring my mom over to this party?! Sounds fun!!

We are just doing things low key this year since my mom has been travelling a lot for work the past month. Just hanging at her house with her sister (we each have a dog so 3 crazy dogs too!) and will be making "mexican" salads in the effort to keep things moderately healthy and having margaritas as well.

That sounds amazing! I'm going to copy that idea someday.

This year I am cooking a Korean dinner for anyone who comes (about 6 so far, including 2 of my adult kids). I made napa cabbage kimchi last night and will make radish kimchi tonight. Tomorrow, I'll make all the other side dishes except soybean sprouts, which have a short shelf life.

We are having: bbq beef and bbq pork, stir fried glass noodles, korean sushi, pot stickers, and 7-8 side dishes (including my favorite, seasoned dried anchovies.) I just discovered maangchi, and am so excited. :)

And I have a gallon and a half of kimchi fermenting on my counter. :cloud9:

I'm looking after my 3 youngest grandkids while both their parents work. Then I am making hot dogs, frozen french fries and pork and beans. An easy supper for the kids, my 2 boys and my husband. It will be a long day since I will have them from about 10 to 7-9 at night. They will enjoy the hot dogs and fries and they love pork and beans so a win for me.
tigercat

Sounds yummy! What a great idea!!

Our DD is graduating From college on Saturday (out of state )- Sunday we will be waking up in a hotel and moving her stuff from campus to an apartment. And loading up cars and moving some stuff back home. She will be coming home with us for a few weeks so eventhough we may be eating mcd's or something on the long drive home, ill be a very proud mom and very excited we get to spend the day together!

HAPPY MOTHER's DAY!

When I read salsa I thought you meant dancing! :rotfl:

It does sound like a great idea. I'm all about the margaritas!

We are having a BBQ at my aunts house. I ordered the desserts because I'm not preparing anything. :woohoo:

Sounds fantastic (as does the Korean spread....!!!). I am not sure what I am doing. I usually want to do a picnic, but my niece is having her first communion party that day, so I am thinking we will end up there for BBQ.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter