Motion Sickness - Flight of Passage

Kat's Kingdom

. ⋆° *。 ☆
As someone who suffers from motion sickness very easily, I was wondering what others have experienced with riding Flight of Passage? Does it make you feel sick?

I have amblyopia (lazy eye), not general motion sickness, and was nauseous for about an hour after coming off FOP. I think the 3D glasses and the motion set it off for me. The nausea wasn't so bad, but I was on a solo trip, so I didn't mind sitting in the shade for a long period of time. If I were with others I would have felt guilty taking so much time 'doing nothing'.

I had heard for many others that said that FOP did not make them sick, so I did not plan to take anything before. I did pack Tums to take after, and was very grateful that I had them. Next time I get to go on it I will pre-plan with preventative measures so I don't feel sick again.

I have amblyopia (lazy eye), not general motion sickness, and was nauseous for about an hour after coming off FOP. I think the 3D glasses and the motion set it off for me. The nausea wasn't so bad, but I was on a solo trip, so I didn't mind sitting in the shade for a long period of time. If I were with others I would have felt guilty taking so much time 'doing nothing'.

I had heard for many others that said that FOP did not make them sick, so I did not plan to take anything before. I did pack Tums to take after, and was very grateful that I had them. Next time I get to go on it I will pre-plan with preventative measures so I don't feel sick again.
Fellow motion sickness person here who has ridden FOP 3 times. I admit to closing my eyes... a little.... when I started getting .... " a bit off". Nothing resulted ; felt fine after and already have FP for September.

I've ridden FOP a number of times and haven't had a prob;em. A friend of mine can't even ride Soarin' w/o motion sickness, and FOP would be worse. The ride that did me in when it first opened was Mission Space which left me feeling not quite right for months. I've never returned.

I was very reluctant to try FOP. I can’t do anything that spins, definitely no Expedition Everest (going backwards in the dark did me in) and I no longer do RNRC. Even with the Bonine I’ve started taking daily on recent trips. BUT my family talked me into riding FOP and I’m so glad they did. It is now my second favorite ride in all of WDW (behind Splash Mountain). I was expecting motion sickness but experienced none. I’m not sure why, I guess because I was enjoying it way more than I thought I would. I’m not saying you won’t, just sharing personal experience from someone who can tolerate fewer and fewer rides the older I get. FOP is amazing. I did take the Bonine when I rode it, so I guess it helped. For me it is similar to Soarin’ - if that makes you feel sick, you’re right to feel wary. Have a wonderful trip!

I take Dramamine before riding most rides and I don't have a problem. I had to close my eyes for moments on FOP, and I did not feel great after. I did find that the wind in my face helped. It is an amazing ride, but I won't ride it again.

I take Dramamine before riding most rides and I don't have a problem. I had to close my eyes for moments on FOP, and I did not feel great after. I did find that the wind in my face helped. It is an amazing ride, but I won't ride it again.
100% agree with your comment about air flow. I get car, sea, plane, motion, life sick lol whatever you can get sick from but a good gust of wind always helps.
Never been Ill from FOP. Queasy, but not awful, making sure you don't have an empty or full stomach before you ride helps me.

I take bonine EVERY day while at Disney. With it, I can handle all the coasters, ToT, and soaring... but I felt sick on FOP. Rode it 3 times during our trip and I felt sick each time. Very early in the "ride," I just closed my eyes and waited for it to end.

I think for me, the problem was that the 3D effects were so "close" that I could not focus on them (had double vision which made me feel ill)... So I closed my eyes til the ride was over... (my DD loved the ride, so I will ride again next year, but will close my eyes again...)

I can do coasters, but I have a hard time with spinning rides (Tea Cups) & simulators (Star Tours). I have ridden FOP twice, and both times by husband has had to hold onto me as we exit. 🙄 The ride is really amazing & I do close my eyes during the really “fast” parts, but it’s not enough. Thankfully, I rebound pretty quickly, but it’s worth noting that you could feel wonky for a bit.
Enjoy your trip! 😊

I get motion sickness pretty easily. Car rides, playground swings, amusement park rides...they all do me in. I used to take non drowsy Dramamine but it still made me tired so I’d drag but for the first couple hours. Now, I use these gorgeous little buggers:
https://www.amazon.com/MQ®-Motion-S...h&qid=1563752531&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

I have no problem riding FOP now. I follow the motion sickness rule and track the banshee with my eyes (it really helps). Also, if the air blowing is really strong, I have to breath through my mouth or I feel sick. For motion sickness, I’d rank FOP above Soarin but way below mission space. If you take some preventive measures, you should do just fine on this ride.

Yes, I had very bad motion sickness while riding FOP. I had to close my eyes and take deep breaths and pray that I did not hurl about mid-way through. Anytime there is a discrepancy between sensory input to the middle ear and visual input, the potential for motion sickness is there for suspectible individuals. In a motion type simulator, your eyes are seeing movement, but since you are not actually moving, your inner ear is not sensing the movement, hence the discrepancy. During a ride like Space Mountain (coaster in the dark), your eyes are not seeing the movement, but your inner ear is feeling the movement, hence the opposite type of discrepancy. The only way to know for sure if to try it. Sometimes meclizine (Bonine/Dramamine), dimenhydrinate (Gravol), and scopolamine (Transform-scop) can alleviate the nausea, but some people cannot tolerate the drowsiness, and the medications only work for some people. If you try it and feel sick, I would recommend closing your eyes. This helped me make it through.

“ I just closed my eyes and waited for it to end.”

I’ve only been on it twice and both times I found myself feeling ill. At one point I tried closing my eyes but then I was only focusing on the protective latch banging on my abs. My dad noticed my feeling off and suggested to “look up”. This was so helpful! If you look toward the top of the screen it’s not as action-heavy. Kind of like when we were kids and we road the school bus - the side windows were all active but looking out the front windows was less likely to induce nausea.

So yes, prepping with medicine is a good idea. Closing your eyes may work for you, too. Or simply aiming to look up! Find what works for you and don’t miss out on the experience at least once!

I get motion sickness, partly due to issues with vertigo. I just rode it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I did not feel nauseous at all, but there were a couple of sequences where I closed my eyes because my brain couldn’t make sense of which way was up (discrepancy between eyes and inner ear). When I closed my eyes, the motion wasn’t bad and I could feel when we leveled off. I think it was worth it because the rest of the ride was really cool.

I think it depends on what types of things make you motion sick. For example, car rides never bother me, but I can't ride anything spinning, upside down, or backwards. (EE seems to be the one exception because the backwards part is just short enough that I'm okay.) I think I'm okay with drops, though I haven't really put that to the test beyond family-friendly roller coasters. I loved FOP, but there were times that I had to look away for a moment or use the other where-to-look simulator tricks. I didn't have any lingering effects and will ride again. My DH didn't feel bad enough that he needed to sit and recover afterward, but FOP was a one and done for him because of motion sickness.

The first time I rode FoP, I decided to go in blind - I didn't read anything about it (except hearing it was Soarin' on Speed), and I didn't watch any videos. At first I thought it was amazing, very visually stunning, and then we dove and twisted and turned, and I didn't like it. Then the wind blowing in my face, I started having a panic attack. Then the mist starting blowing in my face, and I almost lost it. I tried closing my eyes, but that didn't help because of the wind and mist. I tried looking to the side, but that didn't help much. I just had to fight to the end. I got off, and I did not feel well at all. That lasted several hours. I went and sat in Satuli Canteen and people around me were talking about how they felt so much better after they threw up.

I decided a year later to try again. I took Dramamine, I had breakfast, I knew what was coming. At first, I again thought it was so beautiful and magical, and then bam, we swooped, I had to do my best to completely turn my head around to avoid the wind and mist. I kept my eyes open, and that may have been a bad idea because I saw exactly how much you move on that ride, it was rather intense. I got off, and luckily didn't throw up, but I did not feel good the rest of the day (which bummed me out because I wanted some Satuli Canteen).

I give up. I won't try it again, which makes DD happy because she gets to use my FP to ride it twice.

ETA - I love Soarin', it is one of my all-time favorite rides. The old video never bothered me at all, but the new video, I have to close my eyes when they transition between locations.

I just road it for the first time on Thursday. I was worried about it because I am very prone to motion sickness and it gets worse the older I get. Spinning is the worst for me, but backwards and upside down aren’t great either. I can have trouble on anything that moves—gliders, swings, rocking chairs. Soarin is my favorite ride, but I do sometimes have twinges of sickness when I ride it. I can do expedition Everest only once without a significant break. I no longer ride Space Mountain or Rockin Roller Coaster. I’ve done the lower level of Mission Space with no problem, but had to close my eyes all through Star Tours.

I thought the FOP was stunningly beautiful, truly amazing. I didn’t feel awful, but I could not have ridden it a second time without a break of at least a few hours. I was ready for it to be over when it ended. I told my family it went just a bit too far for me to really be able to enjoy it.

I don’t take Dramamine—it has never seemed effective to me. My sister swears by it though.

I took non drowsy Dramamine (ginger gravol...Canadian) and I still felt nauseated for a couple hours after. I want to do it again because it is so amazing but I will take the regular Dramamine .

I got quite sick after riding FoP. It made me feel off for the rest of the day. It's the simulation screen I can't handle. Someone had said to follow the banshee, and I did that... until the banshee disappeared, and that just set things right off for me.

If you are really concerned, have a look at videos of it on Youtube. You will get a sense if you can handle it or not from that.

I don't get sick on Soari'n, but do on Star Tours and Mission Space. I can ride ToT once, but that's my limit. I can no longer ride EE or SM. I also got sick on Forbidden Journey, but not Gringotts.

It's an amazing ride, and I'm sorry I can't ride it anymore.

I get really sick with most things, but I was fine with FoP. I will say though, the poster above recommended looking at it on YouTube. That made me sick. If I watch something on YouTube and *I* am not moving with it, I get incredibly nauseous. I was watching a Tim Tracker video last week and he got on Barnstormer and the video made me SO ill. Barnstormer does not!!

Anyway, I was terrified I was going to get really sick on FoP, but I was determined to try it. The first time I went on, I closed my eyes at every turn that I thought would bug me. So I probably had my eyes closed most of the ride. Then I went on it again and kept them open after I knew what to expect. Not an issue at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter