Motion Sickness - Flight of Passage

I take bonine EVERY day while at Disney. With it, I can handle all the coasters, ToT, and soaring... but I felt sick on FOP. Rode it 3 times during our trip and I felt sick each time. Very early in the "ride," I just closed my eyes and waited for it to end.

I think for me, the problem was that the 3D effects were so "close" that I could not focus on them (had double vision which made me feel ill)... So I closed my eyes til the ride was over... (my DD loved the ride, so I will ride again next year, but will close my eyes again...)

I posted this info above, but if you ever want to try it again, try looking at a non moving object towards the top of the screen as it may help you. The first few times I had a similar issue. When it got to where close objects were zooming quickly left and right it was too much to handle and I had to close my eyes. I found I could keep them open if I looked up at something still and just took the rest of it in through peripheral vision. Been riding it that way ever since with only mild queasiness.

The inner ear/vestibular area is very complex and people have certain triggers. I read these threads and I think the opposite: now that I *don't* get sick on FoP, I don't see how anyone does. I get motion sickness on just about everything! Last night, I was watching a YouTube video of a dog running around and I got very queasy. Handheld video action is awful for me. Star Tours is awful. Remember the old Body Wars? :crazy2: I didn't ride Soarin' for years out of fear. I got super mad at myself and forced FoP last year. Glad I did. It opened up Soarin' for me also. But anything else. Horrible. I don't know what the triggers are for me.

Body Wars scared me out of trying most of the "big" rides at Disney for at least a decade, but I still won't attempt Star Tours because of the similarities. I felt sick for hours afterwards. I can't quite pinpoint what all of my issues are. Sometimes on small dips I'll feel queasy, like on smaller roller coasters or even POTC, but yet the only one that gets me on Splash Mountain is the drop that's in the dark. Spinning is definitely out, motion simulated is worse than actual movement. And jerking to a stop is AWFUL, but only for 10-20 seconds. Tried Rock and Roller Coaster this year after many people telling me it didn't bother their motion sickness and it kicked my behind even with meds and closing my eyes like 2 seconds in. Never again.

Body Wars scared me out of trying most of the "big" rides at Disney for at least a decade, but I still won't attempt Star Tours because of the similarities. I felt sick for hours afterwards. I can't quite pinpoint what all of my issues are. Sometimes on small dips I'll feel queasy, like on smaller roller coasters or even POTC, but yet the only one that gets me on Splash Mountain is the drop that's in the dark. Spinning is definitely out, motion simulated is worse than actual movement. And jerking to a stop is AWFUL, but only for 10-20 seconds. Tried Rock and Roller Coaster this year after many people telling me it didn't bother their motion sickness and it kicked my behind even with meds and closing my eyes like 2 seconds in. Never again.

I rode RnR several times and then the last time I rode it, I was into that first loop and the motion sickness hit right away. I spent the rest of the ride with my eyes closed repeating: It's only 90 seconds, it's only 90 seconds, it's only 90 seconds.

After riding ToT with no issues, I got queasy one time on some of the drops. But I went back last year and had zero issues with the ride.

I've been totally fine on Splash Mountain and Pirates. I had a brief moment on SDD but it went quickly. I seem to do well on BTMR but can feel "close" to feeling funny. The backwards motion on Expedition Everest bothered me also.

I don't take the meds because they actually make me feel bad in a different way.

I rode RnR several times and then the last time I rode it, I was into that first loop and the motion sickness hit right away. I spent the rest of the ride with my eyes closed repeating: It's only 90 seconds, it's only 90 seconds, it's only 90 seconds.

After riding ToT with no issues, I got queasy one time on some of the drops. But I went back last year and had zero issues with the ride.

I've been totally fine on Splash Mountain and Pirates. I had a brief moment on SDD but it went quickly. I seem to do well on BTMR but can feel "close" to feeling funny. The backwards motion on Expedition Everest bothered me also.

I don't take the meds because they actually make me feel bad in a different way.

OMG I did the same thing on RnRC. I just kept telling myself it was a short ride I'd make it through and finally did. Interesting you had no issues with ToT. I was going to try that the same day, but after RnR was so bad I said no way.

I can't do regular Dramamine, but the Bonine or non drowsy Dramamine is okay for me.

I really would love to ride FOP but I have motion sickness issues on some rides and I'm particularly fearful of this one. We rode Star Tours last year after many years of skipping it and I found that more intense than I remember and didn't feel quite right for a little bit after which wasn't the case the previous time that I rode it many years earlier. I found that odd but unless it has changed over the years or I'm guess, maybe because I'm just getting older and I'm just more susceptible to these kind of rides. I know DH has no idea what kind of ride FOP is and I know if I told him, he would definitely not go on it, so it would also be a solo experience. Somehow that also makes it scarier for me. If I were with a group I guess I would feel a bit more comforted.

Last edited:
I found FOP made me a little less sick each time I rode it, and my wife felt the same way. 4 times during a trip and by the last time it was fun. Maybe we started to have faith in it or something, confidence.
Star tours makes me pretty sick.
"real" rides don't make me sick at all, except teacups.

I found FOP made me a little less sick each time I rode it, and my wife felt the same way. 4 times during a trip and by the last time it was fun. Maybe we started to have faith in it or something, confidence.
I suspect Teacups might make me sick as well but I'm hoping to try it and keep the spinning to a minimum ::yes::

I struggle a lot with motion sickness, but FoP is not a problem for me.

Things that are a problem:
Space Mountain
Expedition Everest
Rock N Roller Coaster
Mission Space (even green)
Star Tours
Primeval Whirl
GAH! I just get worse as I get older!

For me it was bad when I waited in the regular line. When I got FP, it was a lot better. But I got motioned sickness just reading this thread...

OMG I did the same thing on RnRC. I just kept telling myself it was a short ride I'd make it through and finally did. Interesting you had no issues with ToT. I was going to try that the same day, but after RnR was so bad I said no way.

I can't do regular Dramamine, but the Bonine or non drowsy Dramamine is okay for me.

This makes sense because the regular Dramamine is “dimenhydrinate”, whereas Bonine and Dramamine-N are “meclizine”. Dimenhydrinate and the Scopolamine patches tend to be the most sedating, but get the edge in effectiveness. Meclizine can be sedating, but not as much as dimenhydrinate for most people. Just want to add... I have bad motion sickness on all the offenders listed by everyone above and none of the motion sickness medications or remedies work for me, but I can do ToT with zero motion sickness. The straight vertical, no side to side, motion seems not to through off my inner ear. You may want to give it a try as the very last ride of the day. As a motion sickness sufferer, it’s always nice to find some rides I can do.

As someone who suffers from motion sickness very easily, I was wondering what others have experienced with riding Flight of Passage? Does it make you feel sick?

I get motion sickness big time- but all I had to do was close my eyes in certain parts and I was fine.

Star Tours is the worst. It’s so unfair. I love Star Wars and I have to skip. 👎

I love FP and it's fine for me to ride on. Soarin is a different story though. Makes me queasy.. not sure why

I'm potentially looking at a 2020 solo WDW trip and, as a person who suffers from motion sickness, I won't lie to you: I'm worried about the rides at the park. My motion sickness is really weird: I get sick as a passenger in a car, on most amuseument park rides, watching shaky POV handheld videos on YouTube, on small boats, but I'm okay as a driver in a car, in buses, trains, planes, and cruise ships. On my last two visits to Islands of Adventure, I got terribly sick both times on Forbidden Journey afterward; the stimulator was the worst.

I have not been back to WDW since 1996, but, IIRC, I was okay on rides such as Space Mountain (loved that ride btw), Splash Mountain, etc. I'm in my early 40s now, and the park has changed quite a bit, so to say that I'm a little concerned would be really saying something LOL.

OTOH, I just finished watching some of the HD POV videos posted to YouTube and my stomach seemed to be OK. Flight of Passage did not seem nearly as bad as as Forbiden Journey and I think this is because the movement is much more exaggerated (back and forth, side to side) on FoP than FJ. This is JMHO though.

Thanks for the tips, everyone, I may look into medication (which I'm familiar with from the DCL Disboard forum) for the future.

My niece rode Flight of Passage, rode Expedition Everest feeling the effects of that motion sickness and puked as she got off that ride.

I took a friend on it. She gets nauseous in a wave pool and she was running for the ladies room when the ride finished. She was happy she went once but vowed to never go again.

In our group of 5 our daughter had to close her eyes due to motion sickness. She is fine with all of the coasters but FOP was bad for her. I have heard that Ginger capsules will also help with motion sickness. I too Bonine during a cruise for motion sickness and did not like how it made me feel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter