Moving a DLR Trip to Walt Disney World- Let’s Talk!

I am going in just under 3 weeks, and I'm super excited! I'm prepared for decent crowds (since we can only make it on a weekend...) but hoping for no heat waves or storms. We (me and a last minute addition, my FIL's fiance, haha) are just squeezing in a quick trip, and doing HS Friday, MK Saturday (because I need my Disneyland-ish fix) and AK on Sunday! I have been educating myself like crazy, since I've only been once, and it was 22 years ago when I was 15! Flying Southwest, staying off-site, (a mile or two away) and renting a car, especially since we fly in at like 11 pm Florida time, and I don't want it to take 2 hours to get to our motel...

I’m a WDW girl who was planning my first DLR trip for mid-Nov. I’ve now changed gears to a Jan WDW trip, after going every summer it’s gonna be different!! Trying out Coronado and yacht club. We always stay CBR and I can’t recommend that one highly enough. So lovely and you can also enjoy Riveria.

Please let me know if you guys have any questions I can answer about WDW, last went in August so post-Covid. You have all been so amazing on this board answering my DL questions!

I cancelled our DLR trip this weekend and re-booked at WDW for the same week (Nov 1-7). I have to say it was very nice yesterday not to jump back on the coronacoaster for another week of hoping to hear DLR reopening news.

Our plans so far:

Sunday: Fly in early afternoon. We are staying in the Boulder Ridge Villas at Wildnerness Lodge.
Monday: MK. I don't have any ADRs this day yet. I want to try Gaston's cinnamon roll, Sleepy Hollow, & I must get a Dole Whip... So maybe we'll just get by on quick service/snacks.
Tuesday: HS, & planning to take the Skyliner over to Beach Club for lunch at Beaches & Cream.
Wednesday: Epcot. Just heard that Frozen will be closed the entire week we are there - ARG! We have an ADR for dinner at the Rose & Crown.
Thursday: MK again, including late lunch at the Plaza.
Friday: AK. I'm thinking Flame Tree and/or Satu'li for meals.
Saturday: Flying home early.

I haven't been to WDW since 2010, so I'm feeling very nervous/excited! My kids will be turning 5 & 7 at the end of November and this will be their first trip to WDW.

We went in early August. I am happy to answer any questions. We had a recovery rate b/c we booked a trip for July. We also did 3 days at Universal Orlando. Can answer questions about that as well.

Resort; Poly DVC Villas (Not a DVC member, but was moved there by Disney)
7 Days in the Parks: 2MK, 3DHS, 1Epcot, 1AK
Food: Had some ADRs, but mostly QSR
Transportation: We rented a car and it was the best investment we made on our vacation.

Takeaways:
1. It was HOT. We managed, but get ready for the humidity. It is still HOT through October down there.
2. Crowds were much better Mon - Thurs. than on the weekend. We did Epcot on Saturday and wait times were 60-80 minutes on Test Track, Frozen, and Soarin'.
3. It will rain in the afternoon. Get outdoor rides out of the way in the morning. They will close down, parks close early, and you may miss them if you put them off. Along these lines, take rain gear or your own ponchos.
4. Food is disappointing. It was good, but (yes, I am a DLR snob about food), it is not what we get at DLR. Beyond that, quality is down for WDW also. This is one of the reasons, we stuck with QSR restaurants b/c we felt the quality was not worth the price for a high end restaurant. Now, Disney Springs quality was better than in the park.
5. Things shut down early and there are limited options at night. If this is an adult trip, you will end up at Disney Springs a lot. Or, go offsite. Citywalk at Universal Studios has a decent nightlife right now as well.
6. Lots of closures and construction. We have been to WDW many times and the WDW we visited is not the same as the one we visited 2 years ago. Since we have been there a lot, it did not bother us. If you are a fan of Characters, shows and fireworks, it will be a disappointing trip for you. If you like rides and don't care about Character greetings / meals, shows, or fireworks, you will have a great time.

For those considering Universal:
1. It was crowded. They are not doing as much as Disney to cap capacity. At least when we went.
2. Lockers suck for the big rides. Some rides (Hulk, Rip Ride Rocket) require everything go into a locker. You will wait a long time for a locker AND to get back into your locker when you get off the ride. Other rides (hagrids and Gringotts come to mind) require a locker for bags only (anything that cannot go into your pocket).
3. We stayed at Cabana Bay and really enjoyed that hotel. Great lazy river to relax at night.

Mod edit: This post is referring to a press conference by the CA Dept. of Health and Human Services.

And the responsibility to reduce the risk for those in California that might visit the theme parks.
I think quite a few of us in this thread would argue that by not releasing guideline/allowing parks to open is actually increasing the risk to Californians as we look at traveling out of the state to visit theme parks.

I'm not ready to fly yet but the 36 hour drive to WDW gets more appealing every day Disneyland remains closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think quite a few of us in this thread would argue that by not releasing guideline/allowing parks to open is actually increasing the risk to Californians as we look at traveling out of the state to visit theme parks.

I'm not ready to fly yet but the 36 hour drive to WDW gets more appealing every day Disneyland remains closed.

I have flown on 3 flights since August and I honestly feel very safe on Southwest. I think the middle seat being blocked makes it much better. I usually sit in the back of the plane also so I think that helps. I moved my Disneyland trip to Disney World and happy that I did. The only part that scares me is the weather and the increase in crowds but too late now lol

I hear ya, I just traded in my Disneyland tickets a few minutes ago for WDW so off we go! I'm nervous about flying but talking to people that have flown recently, I'm not too worried about it. I picked seats in the back row and we're going to wear KN95s... along with goggles. Man, we'll be so stylish!

Still will be watching Disneyland closely, even if we gave up on going until next year. It's heartbreaking to see the impact this closure is having on so many people.

I cancelled our DLR trip this weekend and re-booked at WDW for the same week (Nov 1-7). I have to say it was very nice yesterday not to jump back on the coronacoaster for another week of hoping to hear DLR reopening news.

Our plans so far:

Sunday: Fly in early afternoon. We are staying in the Boulder Ridge Villas at Wildnerness Lodge.
Monday: MK. I don't have any ADRs this day yet. I want to try Gaston's cinnamon roll, Sleepy Hollow, & I must get a Dole Whip... So maybe we'll just get by on quick service/snacks.
Tuesday: HS, & planning to take the Skyliner over to Beach Club for lunch at Beaches & Cream.
Wednesday: Epcot. Just heard that Frozen will be closed the entire week we are there - ARG! We have an ADR for dinner at the Rose & Crown.
Thursday: MK again, including late lunch at the Plaza.
Friday: AK. I'm thinking Flame Tree and/or Satu'li for meals.
Saturday: Flying home early.

I haven't been to WDW since 2010, so I'm feeling very nervous/excited! My kids will be turning 5 & 7 at the end of November and this will be their first trip to WDW.

FYI - the Skyliner doesn't go to Beach Club. But you can walk from HS to Beach Club.

Seeing that it is getting busier I wonder if they will bring back fast pass. We went in Aug and lines weren't bad. Approx 15-30 min. I hear it's busier now. Going in 3 weeks so I'll keep reading here for updates until I go.

FYI - the Skyliner doesn't go to Beach Club. But you can walk from HS to Beach Club.

I stand corrected. I went and looked at the map on WDW's website. It looks like the Beach Club access to the Skyliner is basically the Epcot International Gateway station. You'd get on that and take it to CBR. Then you get off and get in line for the HS route. What I don't know is if you have to exit at Riviera and get on a new gondola to get from Riviera to CBR.

I stand corrected. I went and looked at the map on WDW's website. It looks like the Beach Club access to the Skyliner is basically the Epcot International Gateway station. You'd get on that and take it to CBR. Then you get off and get in line for the HS route. What I don't know is if you have to exit at Riviera and get on a new gondola to get from Riviera to CBR.
The skyliner goes to Epcot IG which is amazingly close to Beach Club.

I was thinking we'd take it to CBR then to Epcot and walk to Beach Club from there. Or is that too much of a hassle? Just because I think the kids will like the Skyliner as another "ride."

Seeing that it is getting busier I wonder if they will bring back fast pass. We went in Aug and lines weren't bad. Approx 15-30 min. I hear it's busier now. Going in 3 weeks so I'll keep reading here for updates until I go.
I've seen some chit chat/rumors about WDW potentially adding a paid Fastpass system once Fastpasses are added back. Nothing official, but many people are speculating that.

I was thinking we'd take it to CBR then to Epcot and walk to Beach Club from there. Or is that too much of a hassle? Just because I think the kids will like the Skyliner as another "ride."

Not a hassle! WDW doesn’t currently have as much going on (parades, fireworks, some dining, etc.), so I’m sure the skyliner would be a fun addition for your kids!

I hear ya, I just traded in my Disneyland tickets a few minutes ago for WDW so off we go! I'm nervous about flying but talking to people that have flown recently, I'm not too worried about it. I picked seats in the back row and we're going to wear KN95s... along with goggles. Man, we'll be so stylish!

Still will be watching Disneyland closely, even if we gave up on going until next year. It's heartbreaking to see the impact this closure is having on so many people.

just curious how you were able to swap tickets? Did you get them from a third party? I’ve been trying to find a way to change ours over too

just curious how you were able to swap tickets? Did you get them from a third party? I’ve been trying to find a way to change ours over too

I booked through Get Away Today and they’ve been letting people convert their tickets over to WDW.

Honestly If you are feeling comfortable enough to travel I dont feel it would not make any difference weather you drive or take a plane. On a 36 hour drive you are going to have to make multiple stops for food, rest, gas and each time you do will add possible exposure opurtunity where you are relying on each place to have proper safety procedures being adhered to.

Flying has risks as well but assuming the airline is follow their proper safety protocols and you are protecting yourself I wouldn't think you were at any more risk and quite possibly somewhat less of one.

Just my 2 cents.

This worries me- I'm very emotionally invested in Mickey pretzels and churros lol. They're still there though, right? Just less of them?

Oh yes, just have to search a little sometimes. There seemed to be more at Magic Kingdom but Epcot and Hollywood Studios were sparse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter