Moving a DLR Trip to Walt Disney World- Let’s Talk!

My db and I are on our first trip to WDW in April. I am struggling with choosing ADRs. At DLR we love Carthay Circle, Blue Bayou, and the Cove. I'm looking for a few different options: elegant quiet dinner, an emersive experience and some on the water casual dining. I'm wondering if Be Our Guest would be super loud for the immersive for us--though I like the idea of sitting in the West wing? Any suggestions on the other categories?

My db and I are on our first trip to WDW in April. I am struggling with choosing ADRs. At DLR we love Carthay Circle, Blue Bayou, and the Cove. I'm looking for a few different options: elegant quiet dinner, an emersive experience and some on the water casual dining. I'm wondering if Be Our Guest would be super loud for the immersive for us--though I like the idea of sitting in the West wing? Any suggestions on the other categories?
We went to Be Our Guest 2 years ago and I was underwhelmed. It was very expensive, I didn't think the food was really all that good, nor did I find the atmosphere really amazing, but that may be the room we were put in (honestly I haven't thought the food at WDW is very good for a long while now). We did eat at San Angel Inn. This has a great atmosphere that reminds me a bit of Blue Bayou. It is twilight in Mexico and you are on the water with a volcano in the background. I liked this restaurant a lot and often end eating here on trips to WDW. Also at Epcot is Le Cellier. It's been long time since I ate there, but the food was very good. I have not eaten at any of the sit downs in Hollywood Studio so I can't comment. At Animal Kingdom we always ate at Rainforest for the kids, but I hate the food there.

We tried BOG before they changed to the prix fixe menu, and it was the absolute worst meal we had that trip. If you love Beauty and the Beast though, it might be worth it for the experience. Another option is Cinderella’s Royal Table which allows you to eat inside the castle! Our personal favorite “immersive” meal at MK is Skipper’s Canteen, but it’s definitely a different experience and the food isn’t for everyone (always check the menus)!

As far as elegant, California Grill is one of our favorites. It’s at the top of the Contemporary and has amazing views and food usually.

Geyser Point at the Wilderness Lodge is our favorite by water eatery. It’s essentially an open air bar. No ADR for this one, but it’s quite popular. I’ve also heard amazing things about The Boathouse at Disney Springs, but we’ve never personally eaten there.

We tried BOG before they changed to the prix fixe menu, and it was the absolute worst meal we had that trip. If you love Beauty and the Beast though, it might be worth it for the experience. Another option is Cinderella’s Royal Table which allows you to eat inside the castle! Our personal favorite “immersive” meal at MK is Skipper’s Canteen, but it’s definitely a different experience and the food isn’t for everyone (always check the menus)!

As far as elegant, California Grill is one of our favorites. It’s at the top of the Contemporary and has amazing views and food usually.

Geyser Point at the Wilderness Lodge is our favorite by water eatery. It’s essentially an open air bar. No ADR for this one, but it’s quite popular. I’ve also heard amazing things about The Boathouse at Disney Springs, but we’ve never personally eaten there.

Thank you...that is really helpful. I'm planning on Geyser Point and The Boathouse. I think I might consider California Grill after one of our MK days. I hear so many contrasting things about BOG around the food and atmosphere. I appreciate your perspective!

Thank you...that is really helpful. I'm planning on Geyser Point and The Boathouse. I think I might consider California Grill after one of our MK days. I hear so many contrasting things about BOG around the food and atmosphere. I appreciate your perspective!

No problem! Enjoy!😋😋

Thanks for the input on Memory Maker. It doesn't sound like it will really be worth the $170 (pre-purchase) for us.

I second the suggestion for Geyser Point. It's a lovely spot. You can't get an ADR there. It's walk up only.

We ate at The Wave at CR after 1 of our MK days. The food and service there were pretty great.

We've decided that spring break (early April for us) is just too soon COVID-wise for us to keep our WDW trip :sad:

We just can't stomach Florida humidity in the summer (BTDT) so that really puts us at the mercy of school breaks and very busy times. Oh how I wish my high schooler still had fall break with my younger two....

Anyone have thoughts on Thanksgiving week vs. week after Christmas (I know... yikes)? Is the week before Christmas any better than the week after or is it all a hot mess? f we go into it knowing it will be busy will we survive?

I know it's impossible to know right now what capacities, rules etc. will be by then so we'll just have to wait and see for details on that. But I am a little bit excited to see the anniversary stuff and for at least some of the EPCOT construction to be completed.

Last edited:
We've decided that spring break (early April for us) is just too soon COVID-wise for us to keep our WDW trip :sad:

We just can't stomach Florida humidity in the summer (BTDT) so that really puts us at the mercy of school breaks and very busy times. Oh how I wish my high schooler still had fall break with my younger two....

Anyone have thoughts on Thanksgiving week vs. week after Christmas (I know... yikes)? Is the week before Christmas any better than the week after or is it all a hot mess? f we go into it knowing it will be busy will we survive? I

know it's impossible to know right now what capacities, rules etc. will be by then so we'll just have to wait and see for details on that. But I am a little bit excited to see the anniversary stuff and for at least some of the EPCOT construction to be completed.

I'd pick Thanksgiving week!

Not sure how one would wear a mask while actively eating and drinking? Went to the link. Looks like it says masks CAN be removed while actively eating or drinking. Masks are required while standing, waiting or sitting in dining locations. This seems similar to when we were there in November.

Not sure how one would wear a mask while actively eating and drinking?
We're supposed to wear the mask whenever we talk to the server (San Diego area) and when we are finished eating. To me, it's common sense to wear it when talking to the server, but I guess enough people don't do that, that there needs to be signs up about it.

I had to eat and drink when I donated blood a couple weeks ago. I pulled down my mask whenever I put something in my mouth, but covered it up again while I was chewing. It was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.

We're supposed to wear the mask whenever we talk to the server (San Diego area) and when we are finished eating. To me, it's common sense to wear it when talking to the server, but I guess enough people don't do that, that there needs to be signs up about it.

I had to eat and drink when I donated blood a couple weeks ago. I pulled down my mask whenever I put something in my mouth, but covered it up again while I was chewing. It was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.

I have a friend that lives in FL and goes to WDW about once a month (DVC member with a lot of points). She says she will be bringing a bottle of water with her and/or demanding water be brought immediately so she can "rip" that mask right off and not have to sit with it on in a restaurant. Apparently, most people pull their masks off as soon as they are seated in the restaurants. I would wait until after I order so I could protect the waiter there too. I am going Friday so I was kind of happy to see that update as I would have expected people to want to protect the server.

Curious to know if any of you who rescheduled your DLR trips to WDW had any regrets?

We were supposed to go to Disneyland staying at the Grand Californian on March 15, 2020. It was so heartbreaking to get cancelled for both me and my 9-year-old son who'd I'd been prepping for the trip for 6 full months (he has a cognitive disability, so needs to know everything about what to expect). We live in Arizona, so DL is a fairly easy drive for us.

But the waiting for news of reopening is driving me crazy. Both me and my DH have now had our second dose of COVID vaccines, so we are more willing to entertain the idea of a Florida trip. But of course, the little one won't be vaccinated and there is so much more to think through logistically.

If I knew for sure that DL would open this summer, I would wait to do WDW in 2022 (even 2023). If we go in 2021, we'd be looking at May 30-Jun 5 (as soon as school lets out for us, but ugh worried about the heat) or possibly Thanksgiving week or the week leading into Christmas (worried about crowds, but would love to see all the holiday decorations).

My son's main priorities will be doing Galaxy's Edge and trying out some different rides (he'll likely have a DAS). I don't think he'll miss character greetings or parades much as he doesn't have the ability to wait long for those things. We normally don't do table service dining either. If we do the summer we'd probably add a water park day or stay at either BC/YC to take advantage of SAB.

Any thoughts from the DL crowd?

Curious to know if any of you who rescheduled your DLR trips to WDW had any regrets?

We were supposed to go to Disneyland staying at the Grand Californian on March 15, 2020. It was so heartbreaking to get cancelled for both me and my 9-year-old son who'd I'd been prepping for the trip for 6 full months (he has a cognitive disability, so needs to know everything about what to expect). We live in Arizona, so DL is a fairly easy drive for us.

But the waiting for news of reopening is driving me crazy. Both me and my DH have now had our second dose of COVID vaccines, so we are more willing to entertain the idea of a Florida trip. But of course, the little one won't be vaccinated and there is so much more to think through logistically.

If I knew for sure that DL would open this summer, I would wait to do WDW in 2022 (even 2023). If we go in 2021, we'd be looking at May 30-Jun 5 (as soon as school lets out for us, but ugh worried about the heat) or possibly Thanksgiving week or the week leading into Christmas (worried about crowds, but would love to see all the holiday decorations).

My son's main priorities will be doing Galaxy's Edge and trying out some different rides (he'll likely have a DAS). I don't think he'll miss character greetings or parades much as he doesn't have the ability to wait long for those things. We normally don't do table service dining either. If we do the summer we'd probably add a water park day or stay at either BC/YC to take advantage of SAB.

Well, we haven't gone yet. We were going to go to DL and switched to WDW for this June. We are really looking forward to something different but not different. First, we've never been to Florida, so that's one thing there. Second will be the experiences. We are really looking forward to MK. (Some of the same rides but look different etc.). ALSO, we are looking forward to the other lands we've never been to before. We as well became really tired of the waiting game and once we made up our minds and booked we were able to focus solely on WDW. It's nice not having to wonder if DL will open or not when I want it to. (personally, I wish it would have been open earlier, but of course that didn't) happen.) We will be doing the casual type of trip. no table service dining either. We just want to soak everything in as we go. Of course we have things like Galaxy's Edge as well, but for us we want to just relax and have fun not worrying about dining reservations. Our son has a leg that is challenged so we will more that likely look into the help for the wait for rides. :wave2: Going to WDW wasn't our first choice in the beginning, but we are very much looking to a new adventure. I hope I was able to help. Take Care!!

We went in December. No regrets! Have another trip scheduled to WDW in June. We are in CA and would prefer to go to Disneyland, but we all really need a trip to look forward to (especially our kids, distance learning has taken a mental toll on them). So we booked in June. We are all super excited about going back! (A little nervous about going in summer with the heat/humidity. Lol. But will make the most of it!)

No regrets, and it's so nice to be off the Newsom rollercoaster. Our dates are May 25- June 1, and it's our first WDW trip. I'm a little worried about Memorial day crowds, but I'm sure we'll be fine. It won't be our usual commando-style DL trip where we accomplish everything, but I'm so excited to relax a bit and spend time as a family away from all the distractions at home. Having a trip to look forward to is everything.

No regrets at all! As long as you understand it isn't the "full" experience with parades, characters, fireworks, live shows etc then you are good. If this was someone's once-in-a-lifetime trip to WDW and they wanted to experience all those missing things, I'd say hold off. Otherwise I'd go for it. In fact, we went in November 2020 and we've planned to go again this April. So we had a great time. :) There's so much to do at Disney World that it is unrealistic to expect to do it all, so any time spent there is enjoyable for us. Best of luck with your decision!

No regrets - we went the week after Christmas and had a different but great trip. After the trip we decided to switch our planned Aulani spring break trip to another WDW trip.

No regrets from me either! We loved WDW and now plan to integrate it into the future trip itinerary even after DL opens. I loved the experience of being in the bubble- that was just so cool and relaxing. Disneyland will always be my favorite but I think we picked a perfect time to check out WDW. No crazy FastPass+ insanity to deal with!

And honestly, I have a feeling even when DL does get to open we're going to see restrictions that hold it back from returning to normal at the same pace we'd see at WDW. We'll likely see nighttime shows return to WDW or relaxed mask mandates (once everyone's vaccinated) first there before DL. Something to think about too! But only time will tell- it mainly depends if Newsom loosens his grip so when they do open they can follow their own guidelines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter