Moving out, and I want a pet!

LifeIsTinkIsLife

Mouseketeer
DBF and I have finally got enough money saved up to where we feel comfortable moving out to an apartment. We will be taking at least one more trip to DL before so we can enjoy it while we still have a little bit of extra money! :goodvibes We will be moving out in July for sure, maybe June. DBF wants a puppy but since I will be starting at dental school full time, it will be hard to train the dog to go potty and wait for 5 hours for me to get home to let him out. I was thinking a kitten would be easier because they can use the litter box. DBF is allergic but I was thinking it may just be to their hair, so if I got a short haired kitten it would be fine. Does anyone else agree with this? I totally wouldn't mind a puppy I could try to get my dad to come over once a day or so to help for the first few weeks but it was just a thought. Thanks in advance! :upsidedow

I am allergic to cats as well, hair length doesn't seem to make a difference in my case. Certain dogs affect me as well. It might be really tough on you if you get a cat, get attached to it, then have to get rid of it because your boyfriend is allergic......

A pet, even a small one, is a big responsibility. You are undergoing so many changes --moving in with DBF, away from family, school, etc. do you really want more responsibility?

In your circumstance I agree that a cat is better than a dog--but if DBF is allergic it doesn't matter whether the hair is long or short--what people are allergic to is an allergen in the cat's saliva that it cleans itself with. I think in that circumstance you are setting yourself up for sorrow if you get a cat and DBF can't handle it.

A dog? Well, I think leaving an animal all day cooped up is not a good idea. After twenty years of cats I got a dog just about a year ago and I take her to work with me every day. Not a solution for everyone--but wouldn't feel right leaving her by herself at home, and don't have a good outdoor solution.

Good luck--I would think long and hard before you make the step to pet ownership.

I am allergic to cats as well, hair length doesn't seem to make a difference in my case. Certain dogs affect me as well. It might be really tough on you if you get a cat, get attached to it, then have to get rid of it because your boyfriend is allergic......

Ok that's all I needed to know, (along with toocherie's comment about the saliva) makes perfect sense, I won't get a cat then, that's totally fine with me! :)

A pet, even a small one, is a big responsibility. You are undergoing so many changes --moving in with DBF, away from family, school, etc. do you really want more responsibility?

In your circumstance I agree that a cat is better than a dog--but if DBF is allergic it doesn't matter whether the hair is long or short--what people are allergic to is an allergen in the cat's saliva that it cleans itself with. I think in that circumstance you are setting yourself up for sorrow if you get a cat and DBF can't handle it.

A dog? Well, I think leaving an animal all day cooped up is not a good idea. After twenty years of cats I got a dog just about a year ago and I take her to work with me every day. Not a solution for everyone--but wouldn't feel right leaving her by herself at home, and don't have a good outdoor solution.

Good luck--I would think long and hard before you make the step to pet ownership.

Well I am fortunate enough to have a father who is a real estate agent that would be more than willing to visit my apartment because it will be close to his house. He would stop by every day and it would be just until the puppy is trained. I am getting a small dog because we want to be able to take it with us when we go places and stay in the car (with the windows down and for very short periods of time until the Arizona heat dies down, of course) and it would be nice for when we go on vacation with my parents to be able to bring the dog with as well! I am veryyyy much ready to own a pet, I have wanted a puppy for as long as I could talk and never got one. I am responsible enough to have one and I puppy sit for my neighbors all the time. I'll admit.. I mostly want to be a mommy but obviously that is not in the cards for me at the moment so having a puppy will be suiting for me until I am finally out of dental school. :goodvibes

Many apartments don't allow cats or dogs, so better check on that before you move in. Others require a larger deposit if you have one.

Have you considered getting a dog that is a bit older? We went to a shelter and got a dog who was around 2 years old. She never had a pee accident or anything in the house. It was great. www.petfinder.com is a good place to look.

As far as taking it everywhere, just be sure you aren't literally taking it EVERYWHERE. I mean, dogs aren't really supposed to go places like the grocery store and such.

Also, please, please don't leave it in a car for any bit of time. It's just not good for a pet.

One main thing with all dogs is crate training. It's a neccesity. So if you get a dog, look into the proper way to crate train. Crates are good for humans because it's a safe place to put a dog while you're out and about. And crates are good for dogs because it gives them a place where they feel safe. Dogs like to have dens.

How about considering a hairless cat? It is my understanding that people that are allergic to cats, are not to the hairless variety. Also, there are allergy medications, that can control cat hair induced allergies in people.

Don't get a hairless cat, they are just weird. LOL No I'm kidding. :) I would really think about waiting for a few months until you guys are settled and then getting an older dog instead of a pup. Older dogs have a lot going for them but really consider before jumping in, we have 2 cats, 2 dogs and 2 large fish tanks (1 freshwater, 1 salt) and honestly the fish are the easiest to take care of. LOL

What about a bunny? I have holland lop named Pancakes and shes basically like a cat with a cage, lol. I take her out just about whenever I'm home and she just hops around. Shes even litter box trained so theres no messes. She also loves to cuddle and be played with. Not sure if your DBF would be allergic or not, but it may be a good option! :thumbsup2

I am very allergic to cats. It doesn't matter what kind of hair they have (unless they are completely hairless I suppose). Actually, the short hair are way worse than the long hair, because they shed a whole lot more, and because when you clean it is harder to get all the short hairs up than the long. I react sooner in houses with short hair cats, than long hair cats. I wouldn't expect to live with DBF long if you have a cat. The allergy medications are usually weekly shots, and most people are not going to agree to do that. I know I wouldn't. Depending on how allergic DBF is, it can be really bad. I get what we call "cat bumps" which means that if a cat touches me much (which of course cats always love me and want to cuddle me- I THINK THEY KNOW)- I get big raised itchy bumps on my skin where they have touched me. My SIL, best friend, and another good friend all have cats. I can't spend much time at all in any of their houses. Sometimes, it can kick in as soon as 15 minutes after getting there where I start not breathing very well. After a couple of hours in any of their houses, I start feeling miserable and can't wait to get out, no matter how much I love them. My one friend's house is so bad that not only does my nose get stuffed up and my chest tighten but I completely lose my voice if I am there 3 hours or more. Everytime it happens I think I must be really coming down with something, but by the next morning I am fine again, and I remember that it is just the cats that do that. Really, if your DBF is allergic to cats, any kind of kitten is a really bad idea if you are going to live together.

I am very allergic to cats. It doesn't matter what kind of hair they have (unless they are completely hairless I suppose). Actually, the short hair are way worse than the long hair, because they shed a whole lot more, and because when you clean it is harder to get all the short hairs up than the long. I react sooner in houses with short hair cats, than long hair cats. I wouldn't expect to live with DBF long if you have a cat. The allergy medications are usually weekly shots, and most people are not going to agree to do that. I know I wouldn't. Depending on how allergic DBF is, it can be really bad. I get what we call "cat bumps" which means that if a cat touches me much (which of course cats always love me and want to cuddle me- I THINK THEY KNOW)- I get big raised itchy bumps on my skin where they have touched me. My SIL, best friend, and another good friend all have cats. I can't spend much time at all in any of their houses. Sometimes, it can kick in as soon as 15 minutes after getting there where I start not breathing very well. After a couple of hours in any of their houses, I start feeling miserable and can't wait to get out, no matter how much I love them. My one friend's house is so bad that not only does my nose get stuffed up and my chest tighten but I completely lose my voice if I am there 3 hours or more. Everytime it happens I think I must be really coming down with something, but by the next morning I am fine again, and I remember that it is just the cats that do that. Really, if your DBF is allergic to cats, any kind of kitten is a really bad idea if you are going to live together.

I'm right there with you! I can't be in some of my relatives houses very long because of the cat dander. My aunt used to vacuum a bunch before I came over, but we figured it actually made it worse because it just kicked up a bunch of the dander.

Cats always love me too! We took our dog to the boarding place a couple weeks ago and there was a cat roaming the office. It, of course, rubbed right up against me when we came in. :furious:

I have to echo the sentiment about waiting a while before jumping into pet ownership.

It sounds like your boyfriend would not react well to living with a cat, and it would be unreasonable to expect him to take medication on a regular basis to make it tolerable for him.

Getting a dog, puppy or not, in many ways is the same level of responsibility as having a child. It's nice that your dad is so willing to help out with daily walks, but I would advise you to not allow that to sway your decision on whether or not a dog is feasible for you.

Dogs are a LOT of work.

I have to echo the sentiment about waiting a while before jumping into pet ownership.

It sounds like your boyfriend would not react well to living with a cat, and it would be unreasonable to expect him to take medication on a regular basis to make it tolerable for him.

Getting a dog, puppy or not, in many ways is the same level of responsibility as having a child. It's nice that your dad is so willing to help out with daily walks, but I would advise you to not allow that to sway your decision on whether or not a dog is feasible for you.

Dogs are a LOT of work.

I agree! They are an insane amount of work and a lot of people don't realize it.

I love our dog. But having her does make things more difficult. We can't just go away for a weekend without having to get her kenneled. We can't just go somewhere for more than 5 or 6 hours without having to find a way to take her along or coming home to let her out.

Dogs take a lot of time and a lot of money.

It seems a lot of people just think dogs are cute and fun so they get one. They don't realize a dog needs daily exercise (and that doesn't mean being carried around in a cute handbag.) They need their nails clipped, teeth brushed, fur combed (and shampooed often in some breeds,) ears cleaned, etc. They need yearly shots. Monthly flea, tick, and heartworm prevention. You have to pick up their poo all the time. You need a fenced it yard. Or you can tether them but only briefly (in our state they can only be left tethered unattended for 15 minutes.) You need to pay to get them licensed in most places. If not, you'll pay a fine.

You have to be prepared for health issues that could cost a LOT of money.

You have to realize your dog will be around for many, many years. It will need love and attention for ALL of those years.

I would have to agree we have 2 dogs a Pomeranian and a boxer.... We love them they are very well behaved dogs but they do cost a lot.... And if something goes wrong it costs a lot. We have pet insurance on our boxer. All pets cost money my daughter had a ferret: and it got cancer and it was going to cost 400.00 just to figure out exactly if it was cancer or not!!! We needed to put him down which still was 185.00 and very sad!!:sad1:

Thanks everyone for your opinions. We went to my grandma's house the other day to see her cats and we both did alright but the rest of the night we were sneezing, and one of the cats scratched me. I don't want one anymore and even though DBF was willing to try it out, we both agree it's not the best. We're not going to get one but we are going to get a dog we find at the pound. Whatever that may be. With our schedules so different DBF wants me to have something to help keep me safe/company at night while he works and I know how to take care of a dog and it's not going to be any sort of problem for us! We are very active and we go for walks at night already even without a dog and go for long walks so our dog will have plenty of exercise. :)

Lifeistinkislife...I hope you don't take this the wrong way. And yet, any time someone says that, they usually have something to say that the person it's meant for probably isn't going to like.

But here goes.

You sound like a very impulsive person. I hope for your sake, and the sake of the dog that you seem dead set on bringing home, that you sit down and think this through very, very carefully. Adopting a dog should never be an impulsive thing. It's a HUGE commitment, and one that lasts sometimes 15 years.

I know you think you know exactly what to expect with owning a dog, because you have "taken care" of them before in the past. By your own admission, you've never owned a dog before. Maybe it will work out great and you will find the perfect dog and it will be a fairy tale come true. But, maybe it won't. And if it isn't, then what?

I highly respect and admire people that bring home unwanted dogs from the shelter. But you know what? They are usually there for a reason. It's usually behavioral issues. We did it once, and it was the worst experience in my life. The dog was insane, and ended up costing us upwards of $10 thousand in three years. It also just about tore apart my marriage. That is extreme, yes, but you need to go in to this without rose tinted glasses.

I am not suffering under the delusion that this post will change your mind because like I said earlier, you sound like you've already made up your mind. I do feel the need to say something though, because this is an issue that weighs heavily on me.

Pets are a lifetime commitment.

Thanks and good luck.

Lifeistinkislife...I hope you don't take this the wrong way. And yet, any time someone says that, they usually have something to say that the person it's meant for probably isn't going to like.

But here goes.

You sound like a very impulsive person. I hope for your sake, and the sake of the dog that you seem dead set on bringing home, that you sit down and think this through very, very carefully. Adopting a dog should never be an impulsive thing. It's a HUGE commitment, and one that lasts sometimes 15 years.

I know you think you know exactly what to expect with owning a dog, because you have "taken care" of them before in the past. By your own admission, you've never owned a dog before. Maybe it will work out great and you will find the perfect dog and it will be a fairy tale come true. But, maybe it won't. And if it isn't, then what?

I highly respect and admire people that bring home unwanted dogs from the shelter. But you know what? They are usually there for a reason. It's usually behavioral issues. We did it once, and it was the worst experience in my life. The dog was insane, and ended up costing us upwards of $10 thousand in three years. It also just about tore apart my marriage. That is extreme, yes, but you need to go in to this without rose tinted glasses.

I am not suffering under the delusion that this post will change your mind because like I said earlier, you sound like you've already made up your mind. I do feel the need to say something though, because this is an issue that weighs heavily on me.

Pets are a lifetime commitment.

Thanks and good luck.

I agree with just about everything said above. Except maybe the part about shelter dogs. I think it really depends on the shelter. Most places have tons of testing to make sure a dog isn't aggressive or anything like that. Also, many dogs are in shelters for reasons other than behavior problems.

Many dogs who are surrendered for so-called behavior problems are dogs who were never properly trained or socialized and to me, the blame for that should be placed on those previous owners. Most dogs are trainable. It just takes work. Work that many people are not willing to do. And when that happens, dogs get abandoned. It makes me very sad.

I think if the OP does end up going to a shelter to find a dog, she needs to really research things before going. She also needs to try to get to know the dog a bit before making her decision. A lot of people go into a shelter and just pick the first dog they think is cute. That dog may not have the personality or tempermant to fit the household.

I think going to a shelter to get a dog is a million times better than going to a pet store or some puppy mill breeder.

However, just from this thread, I'm not sure if the OP is being all that realistic about what it takes to be a dog owner. But that's just my opinion based on a few posts.

I agree with just about everything said above. Except maybe the part about shelter dogs. I think it really depends on the shelter. Most places have tons of testing to make sure a dog isn't aggressive or anything like that. Also, many dogs are in shelters for reasons other than behavior problems.

Many dogs who are surrendered for so-called behavior problems are dogs who were never properly trained or socialized and to me, the blame for that should be placed on those previous owners. Most dogs are trainable. It just takes work. Work that many people are not willing to do. And when that happens, dogs get abandoned. It makes me very sad.

I think if the OP does end up going to a shelter to find a dog, she needs to really research things before going. She also needs to try to get to know the dog a bit before making her decision. A lot of people go into a shelter and just pick the first dog they think is cute. That dog may not have the personality or tempermant to fit the household.

I think going to a shelter to get a dog is a million times better than going to a pet store or some puppy mill breeder.

However, just from this thread, I'm not sure if the OP is being all that realistic about what it takes to be a dog owner. But that's just my opinion based on a few posts.

Amypond -

I really didn't do a great job of explaining what I was trying to say with regard to shelter dogs.

I guess my main point is / was that if the OP (like you said) walks into a shelter and decides on a dog because it has a sweet face and will look great in a particular handbag, that's a recipe for disaster. She's living in an apartment (or will be soon) and what if, say, that particular dog with the sweet face has a horrible case of separation anxiety and barks all day, every day, when left alone?

I don't disagree with you at all that I did a lousy job of making an argument against finding a dog at a shelter. The bottom line is, far too many people see their pets as disposable, which is many times why the shelters are bursting at the seams. I just really, truly hope that if Lifeistinkislife goes through with this, she and her boyfriend carefully do their homework and then WAIT until whatever particular breed of dog they've decided best fits their temperaments shows up at the shelter. Instead of rushing a decision because they're so eager to get a dog, any dog.

Amypond -

I really didn't do a great job of explaining what I was trying to say with regard to shelter dogs.

I guess my main point is / was that if the OP (like you said) walks into a shelter and decides on a dog because it has a sweet face and will look great in a particular handbag, that's a recipe for disaster. She's living in an apartment (or will be soon) and what if, say, that particular dog with the sweet face has a horrible case of separation anxiety and barks all day, every day, when left alone?

I don't disagree with you at all that I did a lousy job of making an argument against finding a dog at a shelter. The bottom line is, far too many people see their pets as disposable, which is many times why the shelters are bursting at the seams. I just really, truly hope that if Lifeistinkislife goes through with this, she and her boyfriend carefully do their homework and then WAIT until whatever particular breed of dog they've decided best fits their temperaments shows up at the shelter. Instead of rushing a decision because they're so eager to get a dog, any dog.

Yeah, I actually think you and I are on the same page about pet ownership. :)

I understand what you both mean and I have "owned" a dog before, they were just my parents when I was living with them, DBF's parents also have dogs. I just wanted MY own, that I train and name, it's not like I haven't had a dog before. I am not Paris Hilton and just going to pick a dog that looks good in a handbag, I am a huge animal person and I know how to train dogs and I am not impulsive and I am not trying to sound like so. I have done a great deal of thinking and research. I am known to do whatever it takes to get what I want but I do think things through. This is just something that I want and I am not going at it with rose tinted glasses, I know it takes work. All I wanted was advice on whether or not I should get a cat instead and wanted to know if a short haired cat was less allergy-causing than long haired. Everyone around me my age is having a kid. All I want is a dog.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter