Moving out, and I want a pet!

I understand what you both mean and I have "owned" a dog before, they were just my parents when I was living with them, DBF's parents also have dogs. I just wanted MY own, that I train and name, it's not like I haven't had a dog before. I am not Paris Hilton and just going to pick a dog that looks good in a handbag, I am a huge animal person and I know how to train dogs and I am not impulsive and I am not trying to sound like so. I have done a great deal of thinking and research. I am known to do whatever it takes to get what I want but I do think things through. This is just something that I want and I am not going at it with rose tinted glasses, I know it takes work. All I wanted was advice on whether or not I should get a cat instead and wanted to know if a short haired cat was less allergy-causing than long haired. Everyone around me my age is having a kid. All I want is a dog.

Yeah, I definitely think dog instead of cat. Allergies are the worst. If/when you do start looking, please post updates (and photos.) And like I said, check out petfinder.com. That's where we found our dog.

Everyone your age is having kids?! Yikes. Even at my age (almost 30) there's a healthy mix of people around me having babies and people not even married yet. When I was 20, I knew very few people in my age bracket starting families. I suppose it just varies based on region and whatnot, perhaps.

Oh, and after re-reading one of your earlier posts....

I am getting a small dog because we want to be able to take it with us when we go places and stay in the car (with the windows down and for very short periods of time until the Arizona heat dies down, of course) and it would be nice for when we go on vacation with my parents to be able to bring the dog with as well!

Please, PLEASE never leave your dog in the car.

Ok, I asked if anyone else thought that what I said about allergies was true. I learned very early on in this post that it is the saliva that people are generally allergic too. That scrapped my decision on a cat. Yes, it didn't take long for that person to tell me that the saliva is what causes it, and me to say "Ok, that's all I wanted to know." No cat because of their saliva, whether they have a an afro, braids, or dreads. Doesn't take very long to decide.

Sorry, that's to FlameGirl, before she edited her post. Took me a while to post back because I was out riding my bike looking for my neighbors dog in 100 degree weather. A little ironic huh?

Everyone your age is having kids?! Yikes. Even at my age (almost 30) there's a healthy mix of people around me having babies and people not even married yet. When I was 20, I knew very few people in my age bracket starting families. I suppose it just varies based on region and whatnot, perhaps.

Thanks for the advice, I will look into that if we don't find one that works well with us from the pound, because I want to try to save a life if I can!

And yes, so do you see why I think I'm perfectly fine to have a dog? Everyone around me has kids and getting married if they are lucky enough to still have their baby's dad around. Started even earlier than 20, lots of girls pregnant at 17. All I want is a dog, and I know that I can take care of one. At least I am not trying to get pregnant right? :littleangel:

BTW, my post up there, all three dogs were found safe! :goodvibes

Thanks for the advice, I will look into that if we don't find one that works well with us from the pound, because I want to try to save a life if I can!

And yes, so do you see why I think I'm perfectly fine to have a dog? Everyone around me has kids and getting married if they are lucky enough to still have their baby's dad around. Started even earlier than 20, lots of girls pregnant at 17. All I want is a dog, and I know that I can take care of one. At least I am not trying to get pregnant right? :littleangel:

BTW, my post up there, all three dogs were found safe! :goodvibes

The dogs on petfinder.com are dogs from various shelters. In our area, the humane society even puts their dogs on petfinder.com.

Obviously I don't know which shelters and things in your area use petfinder but I know tons out here do.

Are you thinking male or female? Puppy or older? I really, really recommend a dog a year or two old. Ours was roughly a year and a half when we got her and she was great. After her, I really don't think any of my future pets will be younger than that. It's great because she was pretty much out of the puppy stage, but she still has many years to live. Plus, it made me feel good because I know the puppies are always the first to be adopted, it seems.

Edit to add - I went to petfinder and searched near your location and came up with tons of results from many shelters such as -

Small Dog Rescue in Peoria
Sun Valley Animal Shelter in Glendale
Where Wolves Rescue in Surprise

Also various breed specific rescue groups.

And that's just the first couple pages of results.

Wow I am sure that "LifeisTinkisLife" (hopefully I got it right) is really glad that she brought this topic to the table... It is one thing for us all to have our opinions and belief systems and values but it is another to force those onto others. I am going to say sorry on behalf of those who joined this forum to be supportive and offer Disneyland information and receive it.

Also since there is this other aspect of the forums (non disney questions) I offer my experiences just as I receive them from others as "experiences" and take from them what is applicable to me.

If you want a dog get one.... I was married at your age and had 2 children and my tubes tied by 22 yrs old. I own my home, have been with my only husband for 18 yrs and married for 13, am educated and have a successful career.

Don't let anyone put you in a box or don't box yourself just because others have strong opinions for your choices. I am actually now very nervous about posting anything on here as I may get attacked for asking!

Truly sad:confused::confused::confused:

I must have missed these so-called attacks. :confused3

I see people offering their opinions and advice. The OP is obviously welcome to take or leave those opinions and advice. I don't see where anyone attacked her.

Congratulations on getting a dog! We adore our fur baby. My husband was leery about a dog because of the work, but getting her was one of the best decisions we ever made. It was a great pre-kid choice. They are the best companions. They certainly aren't as much work as a kid! We now have what we refer to as the furry child and the non-furry child. The non-furry one is MUCH more work. ;):laughing: Actually the two (who sometimes get jealous of each other for my attention) were squabbling the other day and I looked at the non-furry one (4 years old) who started the squabble and told her "You better watch out- Maggie was here first". Her mouth dropped open and she stopped in her tracks. :rotfl:

Wow I am sure that "LifeisTinkisLife" (hopefully I got it right) is really glad that she brought this topic to the table... It is one thing for us all to have our opinions and belief systems and values but it is another to force those onto others. I am going to say sorry on behalf of those who joined this forum to be supportive and offer Disneyland information and receive it.

Also since there is this other aspect of the forums (non disney questions) I offer my experiences just as I receive them from others as "experiences" and take from them what is applicable to me.

If you want a dog get one.... I was married at your age and had 2 children and my tubes tied by 22 yrs old. I own my home, have been with my only husband for 18 yrs and married for 13, am educated and have a successful career.

Don't let anyone put you in a box or don't box yourself just because others have strong opinions for your choices. I am actually now very nervous about posting anything on here as I may get attacked for asking!

Totally off topic but I'm nosy, how old were you when you had your children?

Thank you, I was a little confused as to why it was a big deal.. I live in Arizona and everyone around me is pregnant/married/ or having their second child so it was really odd when I was being told I shouldn't get a dog.

I must have missed these so-called attacks. :confused3

I see people offering their opinions and advice. The OP is obviously welcome to take or leave those opinions and advice. I don't see where anyone attacked her.

It was mainly that one other girl. Specially before she edited her post. At the very beginning of the thread when someone said something about the saliva, I said something like "Ok, that's all I needed to know, not going to get a cat." A week later I come back thinking this will be long gone and I have like 10 new posts saying that I shouldn't get one. And then I was getting judged right through the computer screen by some girl saying I am impulsive and that I was going to just pick the cutest dog that looks good in a handbag. It was a little frustrating.

Congratulations on getting a dog! We adore our fur baby. My husband was leery about a dog because of the work, but getting her was one of the best decisions we ever made. It was a great pre-kid choice. They are the best companions. They certainly aren't as much work as a kid! We now have what we refer to as the furry child and the non-furry child. The non-furry one is MUCH more work. ;):laughing: Actually the two (who sometimes get jealous of each other for my attention) were squabbling the other day and I looked at the non-furry one (4 years old) who started the squabble and told her "You better watch out- Maggie was here first". Her mouth dropped open and she stopped in her tracks. :rotfl:

I really can't wait! My ex step dad decided to "Take the dogs to the farm" when I was 14 and I still have their picture hanging up in my room. They were the worst, most high maintenance dogs alive. One ate his paws because of allergies, and the other chewed things like it was no tomorrow but I loved them and I took them (one at a time) for an hour long walk every day. I miss that! And that is funny how your non-furry child stopped in her tracks! :lmao: I am looking forward to finally starting my family with my furry child and then my non-furry child. :goodvibes

I've tried to walk away from this thread a few times now. How about you leave me out of it? Otherwise I am happy to come back in and say everything I've been reserving up until now.

Thank you, I was a little confused as to why it was a big deal.. I live in Arizona and everyone around me is pregnant/married/ or having their second child so it was really odd when I was being told I shouldn't get a dog.

It was mainly that one other girl. Specially before she edited her post. At the very beginning of the thread when someone said something about the saliva, I said something like "Ok, that's all I needed to know, not going to get a cat." A week later I come back thinking this will be long gone and I have like 10 new posts saying that I shouldn't get one. And then I was getting judged right through the computer screen by some girl saying I am impulsive and that I was going to just pick the cutest dog that looks good in a handbag. It was a little frustrating.

I really can't wait! My ex step dad decided to "Take the dogs to the farm" when I was 14 and I still have their picture hanging up in my room. They were the worst, most high maintenance dogs alive. One ate his paws because of allergies, and the other chewed things like it was no tomorrow but I loved them and I took them (one at a time) for an hour long walk every day. I miss that! And that is funny how your non-furry child stopped in her tracks! :lmao: I am looking forward to finally starting my family with my furry child and then my non-furry child. :goodvibes

I was worried my posts were being viewed as "attacks" just because I had a different opinion about some things than you. I mean, I think people can have opposite opinions and give them without it being an attack.

Our dog has some allergy problems too. Sadly, there's no real way to get around some stuff like that. I'm just happy our dogs isn't as severe as my friend's dog who will chew itself until it breaks the skin. And it happens so quick sometimes they can't stop it until it's too late.

Our dog also has issues with her anal glands sometimes (eek!!) Before I had a dog, I didn't even know anything about these glands. :scared: But again, we're lucky it's nothing severe. I've heard horror stories about more severe gland problems.

Sometimes our dog is totally low maintenance and just lays around. Other times she can be high maintenance. We just deal with it and love her no matter what. The first few months were definitely the hardest though.

I've tried to walk away from this thread a few times now. How about you leave me out of it? Otherwise I am happy to come back in and say everything I've been reserving up until now.

Just because you said "good day" doesn't mean you didn't post anything before and I can't still bring you up. You chose to put me down because I didn't take your advice or whatever. Nobody else did that. They gave their two cents and I was free to take it if I wanted. You were the one who decided to make it personal. Then you chose to end it, so stay out of it. Simple. If you want to delete everything you said be my guest and I won't mention another word about you.

I was worried my posts were being viewed as "attacks" just because I had a different opinion about some things than you. I mean, I think people can have opposite opinions and give them without it being an attack.

Our dog has some allergy problems too. Sadly, there's no real way to get around some stuff like that. I'm just happy our dogs isn't as severe as my friend's dog who will chew itself until it breaks the skin. And it happens so quick sometimes they can't stop it until it's too late.

Our dog also has issues with her anal glands sometimes (eek!!) Before I had a dog, I didn't even know anything about these glands. :scared: But again, we're lucky it's nothing severe. I've heard horror stories about more severe gland problems.

Sometimes our dog is totally low maintenance and just lays around. Other times she can be high maintenance. We just deal with it and love her no matter what. The first few months were definitely the hardest though.

No I am fine with the opinions, I took what advice I needed and let the rest to decide for myself. It's not like you were calling me stupid or anything because I didn't take it. I asked for advice and I got it, and when I didn't take everyone's advice that's where the "attack" came in. I didn't ask for personality advice I just wanted to know about how people were allergic to cats. But that is fine, when it comes closer to dog time I will look up petfinder and see what that brings me. :)

Yeah DBF's dog has problems with her anal glands too. She smells horrible but she doesn't know any better so I give her just as much attention as his other dog, lol. In the winter time both dogs are a lot more hyper because it is so nice outside, and in the summer time it's too hot for them to do anything outside so they like sitting on the couch. I noticed that with my other dogs too, so hopefully our new dog will be the same! ;)

Just because you said "good day" doesn't mean you didn't post anything before and I can't still bring you up. You chose to put me down because I didn't take your advice or whatever. Nobody else did that. They gave their two cents and I was free to take it if I wanted. You were the one who decided to make it personal. Then you chose to end it, so stay out of it. Simple. If you want to delete everything you said be my guest and I won't mention another word about you.

No I am fine with the opinions, I took what advice I needed and let the rest to decide for myself. It's not like you were calling me stupid or anything because I didn't take it. I asked for advice and I got it, and when I didn't take everyone's advice that's where the "attack" came in. I didn't ask for personality advice I just wanted to know about how people were allergic to cats. But that is fine, when it comes closer to dog time I will look up petfinder and see what that brings me. :)

Yeah DBF's dog has problems with her anal glands too. She smells horrible but she doesn't know any better so I give her just as much attention as his other dog, lol. In the winter time both dogs are a lot more hyper because it is so nice outside, and in the summer time it's too hot for them to do anything outside so they like sitting on the couch. I noticed that with my other dogs too, so hopefully our new dog will be the same! ;)

If the glands start to get stinky, that typically means they are full and not emptying on their own. We're too grossed out to do it ourselves so we just have the vet do it. It doesn't take long and doesn't cost too much either. As long as the fluid that comes out looks okay, then it's nothing serious.

So does your boyfriend already have a dog too then? Or is it his family's dog?

Even though we aren't looking for another dog, I go to petfinder for fun. Lol. I'm a nerd.

What type/size dog do you think you'll want?

Our dog is the opposite. She is super lazy in the winter because it's so cold out. When Spring gets here, she needs to daily walk otherwise she drives us nuts wanting to go out. Lol. We try to walk her often. Or at the very least we throw her toys around in the backyard.

If the glands start to get stinky, that typically means they are full and not emptying on their own. We're too grossed out to do it ourselves so we just have the vet do it. It doesn't take long and doesn't cost too much either. As long as the fluid that comes out looks okay, then it's nothing serious.

So does your boyfriend already have a dog too then? Or is it his family's dog?

Even though we aren't looking for another dog, I go to petfinder for fun. Lol. I'm a nerd.

What type/size dog do you think you'll want?

Our dog is the opposite. She is super lazy in the winter because it's so cold out. When Spring gets here, she needs to daily walk otherwise she drives us nuts wanting to go out. Lol. We try to walk her often. Or at the very least we throw her toys around in the backyard.

Yeah they take her to the vet every few months to get the gland thing taken care of too! Lol it's gross but all dogs have their own problems haha! Yes this is my BF's family dog. Currently I live with him and his parents... :scared: Lol I'm sure you could imagine why that is no fun! laughing: I looked on Petfinder today, there are an awful lot of Beagles on there! :sad1:

We want to get a dog small enough for an apartment (places I've looked say under 50lbs) and big enough to scare an intruder! My dad's dog is a Doberman mixed with Chow and he is a good guard dog, and he used to live in an apartment with my dad. We got him as a puppy at the pound and he is the best behaved dog I've ever seen. So if I could find a dog like him (He was tame and rolling over on his belly when we first saw him, a good sign when picking out a dog) that would be great! :thumbsup2

Yeah they take her to the vet every few months to get the gland thing taken care of too! Lol it's gross but all dogs have their own problems haha! Yes this is my BF's family dog. Currently I live with him and his parents... :scared: Lol I'm sure you could imagine why that is no fun! laughing: I looked on Petfinder today, there are an awful lot of Beagles on there! :sad1:

We want to get a dog small enough for an apartment (places I've looked say under 50lbs) and big enough to scare an intruder! My dad's dog is a Doberman mixed with Chow and he is a good guard dog, and he used to live in an apartment with my dad. We got him as a puppy at the pound and he is the best behaved dog I've ever seen. So if I could find a dog like him (He was tame and rolling over on his belly when we first saw him, a good sign when picking out a dog) that would be great! :thumbsup2

Our dog is around 40 pounds. Perfect size, IMO. Not a small, annoying yappy dog. But not a big moose that takes up the whole couch either. We saw her on petfinder and then went to the shelter to visit her a few times. She was the only dog in the place NOT barking. When we took her out to play with her, she came over to sniff us. I squatted down to pet her and she came over and rested her head on my knee. So stinking adorable!!

I noticed a lot of beagles during our search too. I think beagles tend to be a lot of work and are a bit harder to train then some breeds. So I'm guessing a lot of those are owner surrenders. Kind of sad. :( I think beagles are adorable but I'm not sure I'd want one. They seem a bit too high maintenence for me.

Our dog is around 40 pounds. Perfect size, IMO. Not a small, annoying yappy dog. But not a big moose that takes up the whole couch either. We saw her on petfinder and then went to the shelter to visit her a few times. She was the only dog in the place NOT barking. When we took her out to play with her, she came over to sniff us. I squatted down to pet her and she came over and rested her head on my knee. So stinking adorable!!

I noticed a lot of beagles during our search too. I think beagles tend to be a lot of work and are a bit harder to train then some breeds. So I'm guessing a lot of those are owner surrenders. Kind of sad. :( I think beagles are adorable but I'm not sure I'd want one. They seem a bit too high maintenence for me.

Yeah the only Beagle I know barks, or howls a lot at night, that would not be good! I saw these adorable Collie and Chihuahua mix puppies on Petfinder. They basically just look like a small Collie. I want a mini German Shepherd but they don't make those, at least I don't think. :laughing: We will have to look again but you're right, I catch myself looking anyways! That's good that your dog was so well behaved from the beginning. That's a great way to tell if the dog should be yours or not! When I was helping find my neighbors dogs the other day one of them came right to me and when I picked him up he seemed right at ease in my arms. I'd never seen him before that either! He was toooo cute. He was a Yorkie but he was incredibly calm. :cutie:

Yeah the only Beagle I know barks, or howls a lot at night, that would not be good! I saw these adorable Collie and Chihuahua mix puppies on Petfinder. They basically just look like a small Collie. I want a mini German Shepherd but they don't make those, at least I don't think. :laughing: We will have to look again but you're right, I catch myself looking anyways! That's good that your dog was so well behaved from the beginning. That's a great way to tell if the dog should be yours or not! When I was helping find my neighbors dogs the other day one of them came right to me and when I picked him up he seemed right at ease in my arms. I'd never seen him before that either! He was toooo cute. He was a Yorkie but he was incredibly calm. :cutie:

My MIL has a yorkie (and had another one, a teacup yorkie, but a coyote got it) and they are/were annoying little dogs. She has a yorkie-poo and it's a bit better. But it's white and needs bathed all the time. Plus, she never took the time to train them and basically carries them everywhere. So they just are not my favorite dogs ever. LOL.

Dogs with shorter coats only need to be brushed often with an occasional bath (it's actually not good for their skin to bathe them often.) It's just so much nice and easier to deal with. I wouldn't enjoy having a dog I had to take to the groomers all the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter