• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Multi generation family living under one roof?

Absolutely no way! We got a glimpse of what it would be like to live with MIL twice! First she lived with us briefly for about 2 mos after Hurricane Katrina. Awful awful experience. But, time passed & we thought it was a bad experience b/c of the circumstances. So about 6 years later we were selling one house & buying another in a different city so she offered us to stay with her. Even worse experience! This was never DS even more no way now. And DH thought the experience was worse than I did so it’s not b/c she’s my MIL.

The OP has pretty much described this as a business transaction. Entering a financial agreement with friends or family is almost always a bad idea.

As far as “taking care of your own” that can be done without moving someone into your home. For me it would destroy relationships. It’s not a bad thing to know your limits.
And my first priority is my DS. That’s “my own” before anyone else. Mil is toxic & would not be good for DS. She is ok for visits, but that’s it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter