Multi-generational family trip - please critique!

Jennkneefir

Mouseketeer
Hello!

I am in the early phases of planning a trip for August/September 2022 with my extended family. It will include myself and my spouse (we are childless), my brothers and their families (each have 2 daughters - ages 5, 6, 10, and 13 in 2022), our mother and her partner (in their late 60's), and possible one of my brothers in-laws (in their early 70's), for a total of 14 people! I am the planner in the family, and love getting into the nitty gritty details of curating a great trip. No one else is particularly interested in the time involved in reservations, booking fast-passes, etc. Each family unit will vary their own schedule slightly, but we plan to spend at least one meal a day together, and will plan to take a few days to just relax together by the pool, etc. For many in the group, it will be their first time at disney. I'll provide info to everyone, and once decisions are made independently, i will take it all, find the overlap, and schedule accordingly.

I would love feedback on the proposed trip, but would especially love feedback from anyone who has embarked on a similar multi-generational Disney trip.

Accommodations - Windsor Hills Home rental (largest bed/bath combo they have). We aren't interested in staying on property, as we want space to spread out and relax. The options at Windsor Hills seem like they would suit our needs, and save us all a fair bit of cash. If anyone has other resorts to recommend with similar amenities, I would love to hear them.

Transportation - Each family unit will rent their own vehicle. Some of us plan on rope dropping the parks, while others only plan to spend 1 or 2 days total at Disney. This way we can all get around without feeling stuck in one place. Some family units may opt to only rent a vehicle for a portion of their trip to reduce cost, and will plan on taking uber/lyft to and from the park. We are Canadian, so all will be flying.

Food - Each family unit will be on their own for breakfast/lunch, but we will combine forces for dinners. One night one couple cooks, etc, etc. If there are days when no one will be home for dinner, we may opt to skip those nights and eat out, or bring snacks. Groceries will reduce cost across the board, and we will each get a cupboard or shelf in the fridge. While i would love to assume that it'll be easy and no one will mind just splitting groceries equally, the reality is that everyone has their own budget, and i don't want anyone to stress over inadvertently covering someone else's cost. This way everyone can be as lax or strict as they like.

Reservations - Will be minimal. None of us are overly keen for character meals, and there are some excellent cooks in the group. Reservations that jump out at us as maybes include - Yak & Yeti restaurant @ Animal Kingdom, Ohana breakfast on a non-park day, and Sci-Fi Dinner for the fun atmosphere. Main justification for a reservation during the day is to give everyone a chance to sit down and beat some of the midday heat, and cool off. For this reason we would most likely make a reso mid-day for lunch, rather than a breakfast or dinner.

Day 1- Arrive (around noon). Check-in. Pickup groceries (one member of each fam will either go shop, or we will order groceries for delivery). Relax by pool. Possibly go out for dinner.

Day 2 - Magic Kingdom. No reservations at restaurants.

Day 3 - Hollywood Studios (if able to get boarding passes). If unable to get boarding passes, will switch to Epcot. This might change if fast passes are a thing. If Hollywood studios, will try and book reservation for late lunch at Sci-Fi dinner for all who are interested.

Day 4 - Day off. Relax at house. Possibly breakfast reservation at Ohana.

Day 5 - Epcot or Hollywood Studios round 2.

Day 6 - Animal Kingdom. Late lunch reservation at Yak & Yeti Restaurant for any interested.

Day 7/8 - Days off. Relax at house. Possible road trips to Nasa/Clearwater beach/St. Augustine/ Cocoa beach, etc. Some families might opt to repeat one of the parks.

Days 9/10 - Universal Studios/Island of Adventure - most of us have been to universal before, so this will be pretty lax. Just hitting our favourite rides, and experiencing new ones.

Days 11/12/13 - Days off. Relax days. Possible road trips/day trips. May opt to repeat Universal if they have their buy 2 days, get 2 days free passes. Might opt to visit Legoland, Seaworld, etc.

Day 14 - Head home!!

We are basically hoping to have a concrete enough plan that we see each other, without it being overly strict and stressful. If fastpasses are available, we will try and book them for the entire group that is at the same park the same day. Ie. if 8/14 of us are at Hollywood studios, we will all be booked for the same fastpass at slinky dog for 10am. That way if we arrive at different times, or opt for different rides at rope drop, we will still plan to meet up to ride slinky dog together. The only issue with this plan is height restrictions.

I am a big thrill-ride lover, so some of my older nieces may opt to tour with me rather than their parents for a few hours. At least one parent from each unit will have a US data plan so we can communicate via whatsapp.

If anyone has any great logistical suggestions, please share!!!!!

When we've had family trips the food has been the trickiest. Everyone in the kitchen for breakfast, for example. Some people want scrambled eggs and someone else planned for pancakes and there's one stove, that sort of thing. What helped us was figuring out the night before who wants "in" on breakfast, and others could just make a bagel or something. At Disney a good breakfast helps!
We like to make a breakfast casserole- eggs, veggies, cheese, etc and bake in a large pan. You can make pancakes at night and simply microwave in the morning, and we also tend to get precooked bacon when on vacation. Overnight french toast is a favorite too. These can be prepared the night before, while someone else cuts up fruit. We aren't fans of cooking big meals later in the day- for us thats a break from home- but have done crockpot meals on occasion.

Wow, you certainly have alot figured out.
The thing is, when you get to disney, some of those things will fly out the window. Some of you may want to stay at the parks, other may want to eat in the parks, others might want to go to the beach, on the same day!!!
I say just be prepared for things to change and be flexible.
We have had an 11 person trip before. We went to the parks together because we all had young children. We tried to eat breakfast at the resort together to go over our plans. Like you, we stayed off site and loved it:) It worked out with flexibility.
Now when we go with others, we all go our separate ways and try to meet in the evening for dinner at the parks. (I don't cook on my vacation). That worked out better than trying to herd the cats going in all directions.
You have a great base plan, and you will have alot of fun. I envy you!
Please let us know how it goes and how you liked Windsor Hills. I have always wanted to stay there, but haven't yet.

When we've had family trips the food has been the trickiest. Everyone in the kitchen for breakfast, for example. Some people want scrambled eggs and someone else planned for pancakes and there's one stove, that sort of thing. What helped us was figuring out the night before who wants "in" on breakfast, and others could just make a bagel or something. At Disney a good breakfast helps!
We like to make a breakfast casserole- eggs, veggies, cheese, etc and bake in a large pan. You can make pancakes at night and simply microwave in the morning, and we also tend to get precooked bacon when on vacation. Overnight french toast is a favorite too. These can be prepared the night before, while someone else cuts up fruit. We aren't fans of cooking big meals later in the day- for us thats a break from home- but have done crockpot meals on occasion.
That is SUCH a great idea!!!! We've already decided to split some dinners, but taking a look at everyones plans ahead of time, and sharing in breakfast might be helpful as well. Luckily not everyone will be getting up and going at the same time. A handful of us are early morning rope droppers, while the rest of the group will be slowly trickling to the parks (if going), or out of the house to wherever they plan to spend the day. Thank you for your feedback!

Wow, you certainly have alot figured out.
The thing is, when you get to disney, some of those things will fly out the window. Some of you may want to stay at the parks, other may want to eat in the parks, others might want to go to the beach, on the same day!!!
I say just be prepared for things to change and be flexible.
We have had an 11 person trip before. We went to the parks together because we all had young children. We tried to eat breakfast at the resort together to go over our plans. Like you, we stayed off site and loved it:) It worked out with flexibility.
Now when we go with others, we all go our separate ways and try to meet in the evening for dinner at the parks. (I don't cook on my vacation). That worked out better than trying to herd the cats going in all directions.
You have a great base plan, and you will have alot of fun. I envy you!
Please let us know how it goes and how you liked Windsor Hills. I have always wanted to stay there, but haven't yet.
Thank you for your feedback! I'm trying really hard to remind myself not to overplan, or to only plan my own time. Flexibility will be a must!! I'm hoping that we all remember to take the trip that we need, and be willing to split up and meet back up as needed.
Will let you know about Windsor Hills! It's a ways away, but ive read some excellent reviews, and it seems like a really great option.

Sounds like you have all the basics covered. I’ve done multiple multi-gen trips, both to Disney with my in-laws and non-Disney with my family. The biggest thing is flexibility, which you have down. My husband and I like to eat out, as he works in the industry so he likes to be on the other side of the table, and I’m always at home cooking so I like to not cook. My mom likes to eat in for dinner because she goes out all the time. What we’ve done is say “we’d like to do XYZ tomorrow, will you join us or meet up with us?” Then there aren’t hurt feelings when someone tries to rope drop and leaves another family behind.

Before you put pen to paper (or part with ANY MONEY) make sure everyone is ACTUALLY on board and not just agreeing in theory to the idea that is 18 months away. There are definitely people who agree to an idea but once that idea becomes more tangible, they realize the idea was fun but not something they are interested in.
(I have this t-shirt and it's awful when you have something planned and accommodate for everyone's wants and when it comes time to book, you're the only one going)

Secondly, I recommend space. Even if it's a couple different rentals close by (if that's possible and in the budget). I know every family is different, but even having a connecting hotel room with my in-laws was TOO CLOSE for us on a 5 day trip (and my in-laws co-own our home and we see them constantly in the real world). The parts of someone's personality you "tolerate" in the real world tend to get magnified on vacation.

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer or rain on the parade, just providing some real world experience.

So-you need to let everyone know that the expectations will be-especially if you are splitting up and rejoining. Save yourself the drama now and get that out of the way. In terms of reservations, you will be split up at tables in certain places but those on phone at the DR line are the best people to work with. Granted I only needed reservations for 8, but they did their best to help us and really worked with me-those CMs I will forever bow down and praise every deity for. Also have a general meet up area and time in each park and try to get some fastpasses together. Also-designate one or two people to specifically be the ones setting up reservations and fastpasses and the like. Also if you purchase memory maker, we found it was easier for me to download the pictures and then download those onto multiple flash drives to give to multiple people. So designating one person for that is also a help. Also make sure someone is the designated 'is everyone drinking water?' person-hydration is key at all times but especially during those hot and humid times of the year.
And above all try to have fun. This seems like a big family reunion and everyone knows each other well-unfortunately we did not know the habits of the friends we asked to come with us and it caused issues. We had no idea about certain things, and it caused many an issue, whereas my family and I are very open about what we need or want to do.
Also get a game of mini golf in and make the teams compete against each other-its so fun!

We’ve done several similar trips with extended, multi-generational family, and LOVED, every one. But we did set a couple rules ahead of time:

1) no surprise budget breakers, if we get there and one family decides it would be just fantastic for us all to do a dessert party that we hadn’t planned, they only bring it up if they are willing to treat for all, others may or may not offer to pay their own way, and whatever is fine.

2) we plan ahead of time when we will definitely all be together, like your one meal per day, and though we may all decide to get together other times, there is no pressure to do so, and conflicting plans are okay.

For us the biggest concerns were the budget expanding unchecked and pressuring folks to change their plans away from what they want to do, to do something ‘together’. For us, those rules made sure that didn’t happen. We all really enjoyed staying in the same house (as long as there are plenty of bathrooms) vs multiple hotel rooms.

Have a fantastic trip!

Remember with the meeting up times, there will be wasted time. Let's meet at X, we'll do these rides together and then eat dinner at Y.

Group A is there at 4, group B was in another park and is on their way, but the line to get into parking is huge, group C got stuck on a ride and on the way but the kids wanted to play on the drums for a few mins. So group A is waiting an extra 30 -45 mins for everyone to show up.

Make sure phones are charged so you can keep track.

Will anyone in the group need a scooter/wheelchair? Staying off site, means some planning for that. If you rent one from a off site vendor, will you be able to get it into a rental car.

You are well on your way with planning. It appears you have discussed and made decisions on many issues that may derail a group traveling together. Two suggestions: I do not know if they have Costco in Canada but if you are a member: You know they have great premade wraps, lasagne, salads, and other casseroles. They have delicious muffins and bagels etc. Great fresh fruit and veggies. I suggest as meal prep (depending on what your family likes to eat) gets considerably easier with Costco. (Great paper products too.) Another suggestion that works for all ages and would be so fun for a large group is the Hoop Dee Doo Musical Review. This is a fun evening event with great food for all.

Last edited:
I have travelled with a large group such as yours. Flexibility is the most important thing you need. One home with 14 people in it for over a week is a lot. Hopefully your group is understanding and kind. We had no issues as we all decided ahead of time what we were willing to do together and discussed that we would need to be sure to pack a lot of patience!!!

Windsor Hills looks great although from what I have seen the pools in the homes are quite small but fortunately they have their community pool.

It is not always easy to book reservations in restaurants at Disney with a large group so keep that in mind.

We love Sci Fi diner!!! We try to go there every time we are there and we also love OHana. Someone else mentioned Hoop Dee Doo and that is a lot of fun.

It sounds like a lot of fun and with so many of us having not seen family for so long, it would be nice to do something together.

Good luck with all of your planning.

Thank you for your feedback! I'm trying really hard to remind myself not to overplan, or to only plan my own time. Flexibility will be a must!! I'm hoping that we all remember to take the trip that we need, and be willing to split up and meet back up as needed.
Will let you know about Windsor Hills! It's a ways away, but ive read some excellent reviews, and it seems like a really great option.
We have stayed at Windsor Hills quite a few years ago. Definitely very close to Disney. If I remember correctly there is a backroad to take that beats some of the traffic called Sherbeth Road..very easy drive.'

Love the suggestion of the overnight breakfast casserole. They can be cooked early and be there no matter what time people get up, everyone can have a filling breakfast before heating to the park.

Someone else mentioned this but yes, waiting for others at a ride gets old quickly! If you do fastpasses for this, I suggest booking them for your park arrival ( great for second park, after rope dropping first). Unless you all arrive together for them some party will be waiting for another - bathroom break, slow monorail, coming from another ride, etc. Its practically impossible to coordinate times exactly, and often its the same people arriving on time and others arriving late lol. And truly, with most rides you will be separated and not really experience them together, so unless you are then planning to walk around together afterwards, it can be more hassle than its worth. Meals, walking around casually, and browsing in shops can work out great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter