Mumsy and Guvna take on Europe: A 2016 Europe Trip Report! updated 5/29/2017

Okay...
I had to remind myself where I left off.
Right now I am still watching flights. Our hopes are to fly out of Salt Lake City, visit Iceland's Blue Lagoon for a long layover and arrive in London at night.
We will stay in a hotel near Paddington station then catch the train at Paddington the next morning to Bath where we will pick up our rental car, see the Bath sites, maybe pop down to Glastonbury Tol and then spend the night at that hotel I posted just outside of Bath.

The next morning we will be making a slightly long trek to the South East of England to Canterbury.
But we don't have to be there until evening so we plan on making a few fun stops along the way.

First we will be stopping by Stonehenge.

bb7bcb8bd1a2217164fbc726f3cdcae1.jpg

I have read that you have to buy tickets beforehand if you want to actually get up close to it. We will be watching for that and see when the earliest tickets are for.
If we can't get tickets we will be content to at least see it from the road.

Next we will drive to Winchester to see the Winchester cathedral, the grave of Jane Austen there, and King Arthur's round table (or so legend says) hanging in the cathedral.

f692414dd065d272bf5a1c1113656085.jpg
b9b5ae69da720815914e385bb86b2c1f.jpg
daf7c073cb701c212a0d58b2d2d3c2e0.jpg

Then we will make our way to Chawton House- Jane Austen's home.

0cdbfe13e8667997fcada738aff2456d.jpg

My mom and I are both very excited to see these two towns and these sites.
By the time we leave Jane's house it should be early afternoon. We will have had lunch somewhere along the way. Not sure about that yet as it will be figured out the day of probably based on how we are doing with time.
From here we will head straight to Canterbury BUT if we have time we will make our way to Ashdown Forest on the way to visit Pooh Corner.

7aba6115cbbe4cf076f0334894c6914e.jpg
63cd1cef300a1ba611e31f9462fbacd3.jpg
041b1cb1babf3ecf03756918cebba2d0.jpg

Here they have a shop, a tea spot, the Pooh Stick's Bridge, etc.
We both think this would be really fun to visit but it is not our highest priority if we don't have time.
The main reason would be to pick up something fun for my little Madeline (the 5 year old) because she LOVES Winnie the Pooh.

Either way we will hopefully arrive in Canterbury in the afternoon, not to late. Maybe early enough to attend Evensong in the cathedral.
We have booked our lodging at the Canterbury Cathedral Lodge which is right on the grounds of Canterbury Cathedral and gives us free admission as well as the ability to wander the grounds as much as we want and after hours.

593dace983678744d4ecfd611267c165.jpg
da3e01bb00ef88db02281fee87e5014d.jpg

I am VERY excited about that! Parking is down the street and a few extra pounds but it is all worth it to me to be at the legendary Canterbury Cathedral.
If we make really good time we will try to see the cathedral in the afternoon, attend Evensong, and then go wander the town for a while and have dinner in town before settling into our room.
If not we will see the inside of the cathedral in the AM.
It is hard to know exactly what we will have time for as we won't know until the day how long we will end up taking at each of our stops.
I have estimated it based on the driving time and the estimated times I have gathered from blogs and trip reports.
But I never want to be in too much of a rush to enjoy places so we can tweak things as much as needed that day. Only requirement is to get to Canterbury by night since we have already paid for the room! :goodvibes

Loving this!!! I am so excited for you!!! I hope to take this trip someday as well :)

Your hubby is amazing!! What a good guy for letting you take this trip and buying you awesome gifts too!! He's earned major brownie points, I'm sure!

Fingers are crossed for you that you get the exact flights you're hoping for. And I love your approach to seeing all the things on your list, very realistic and you've set yourself up for having lots of great extra moments without any disappointment for missing things!

Loving this!!! I am so excited for you!!! I hope to take this trip someday as well :)

Your hubby is amazing!! What a good guy for letting you take this trip and buying you awesome gifts too!! He's earned major brownie points, I'm sure!

Fingers are crossed for you that you get the exact flights you're hoping for. And I love your approach to seeing all the things on your list, very realistic and you've set yourself up for having lots of great extra moments without any disappointment for missing things!

Yes. He definitely has! Thank you! I am really excited too!

Okay...
So we will have spent the night at the Canterbury Cathedral Lodge.
The next morning we will wake up fairly early (probably) to go for an early morning walk about a half hour away. :)
Our plans are to start the morning with a walk along the white cliffs of Dover to the South Foreland Lighthouse.
3f6516df4db24f82daf7ab6be9431aeb.jpg
804ecd4a4103dc0bf203ee1322cb5d9e.jpg

The South Foreland lighthouse is the first lighthouse to use an electric light.
We love lighthouses so this will be really fun to see and a really beautiful couple mile walk.

We will check out of our hotel and have our included breakfast there probably before our drive south. It requires a bit of back tracking to drive down there and then back north again.. but I think it will be a good way to start the day and I doubt we will have time the day before. However if we do, then we might end the previous day this way instead.

Either way, we will be heading very north today to the town of York.

Along the way we will be making a couple of stops to Nottingham and Sherwood Forest.

3baca0f7211395377779ddbe5e0c86e0.jpg
6afcc14c2a27e86663b755c801b43d81.jpg
58c4a196e5c3ebf4992955e2527c2b77.jpg

In Nottingham we would like to see the castle though we will not be taking the time to go in it since it is not the original castle but it is in the original location, or so I have read.
But we do want to see the castle, the caves, and the Robin Hood statue.
In Sherwood Forest we want to take a walk to the Major Oak, the tree that allegedly hid Robin Hood and his merry men within its trunk.

We are hoping to be in Nottingham around lunchtime to stop in for a bite at Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem pub. Which it says is the oldest inn in England.
Looks like a fun place to have lunch!

Ye_Olde_Trip_to_Jerusalem.png

Then we will be heading to York.
We aren't sure what time we will be arriving here but we are hoping to be able to do at least a few of the things on our list today and finish it up in the morning.
If we are lucky and make good time we might be able to do them all, if not we might have to do them all the next day.
But I will list them on this day just in case.

We want to walk along the medieval wall, stroll through and shop a bit in the Shambles areas

d951c908976780a514aa1e1e0d644979.jpg
72737d520cd4d8e70ce09008646303d8.jpg
0833a269de5f88749d49de74aa9c8920.jpg
10fffdd22edc5c414cfd379d8f520251.jpg

And most importantly see the York Minster

0c2e47fb2ce3cfe6f06e8d75ea8f5b81.jpg
95ffbff54b24a15280afec2404ac5971.jpg
57404b765a41d34cbf76d53cb0e16294.jpg

And see that amazing stained glass wall that is the largest stained glass window in the world.

Our lodging for the night is right outside the main city. We are staying at the Bishop's Guest House Bed and Breakfast.

topimages.png

bishopsguest2.jpg

bishopsguest3.jpg

BishopsGuesthouse.jpg

I am really excited for this day. There will be a lot of driving again. But, hey my mom and I LOVE road trips.
(Have I mentioned the time we spent a month driving across the entire United States and back across Canada?)
So it should be a blast. Plus all the scenery is going to be amazing!

I love the white cliffs of Dover!! That will be an amazing walk!

And squeeee!! Sherwood and Nottingham forrests!! Soooooo cool!!!

Love the York Minster too, how amazing!! Seriously, EVERYTHING you will see is just so amazing!!

B&B looks cute! Can't wait to hear more!!!

I love the white cliffs of Dover!! That will be an amazing walk!

And squeeee!! Sherwood and Nottingham forrests!! Soooooo cool!!!

Love the York Minster too, how amazing!! Seriously, EVERYTHING you will see is just so amazing!!

B&B looks cute! Can't wait to hear more!!!

I am so excited to see all these things. It still feels surreal that it is really going to happen!

Hello, just thought I'd check your pre trip report to see if you were going round my neck of the woods, and saw York :) I feel I might be able to give some pointers on things there, since I was there today after all :)

I might recommend a little tea/cupcake shop called crumbs cupcakery, it's near the Minster (Google Earth should get you there) and does excellent British tea and cake should you arrive in the afternoon, alternatively a Belgian style patisserie and cafe known as patisserie Valerie has two branches in York, we ate there today and it was delicious for pastries, and small snacks. You have a wide choice of evening meal in York from fish and chips to Nepalese (a place called the yak and yeti would you believe, no relation to the one in animal kingdom I think though :) ).

In addition, if history should take your fancy (I know it's not for everyone) there is an excellent (and not too large) museum in the park near Marygate, the park is called the museum gardens oddly enough. They also have excellent ruins of an abbey and a nice little hospitium (a type of old inn or hospital, my cousin was married there last year.) very charming sights to see. There is also an unassuming octagonal tower in the corner of the park that actually dates from Roman times (you'll see more Roman history under the Minster, I'd pay the extra to see that section if you can.) they are restoring the Minster at the minute and have some interesting stone masonry stuff outside one end, I think it might still be there next year, they are being careful about the restoration obviously :)

If you are a chocolate lover there is an excellent chain of high class chocolatiers called hotel chocolat, one is located in the middle of York. They aren't cheap but they are fantastic quality. There is also a chocolate museum in the middle of York, but I've never been in so I can't speak for its quality. Oh, and if you are wondering why it's there, York used to be home to the rowntree family of candy manufacturers, a very popular brand over here since Victorian times. My father once worked near their old factory in fact.

If you should seek any unusual perfume (though don't expect it to be cheap in comparison to the states) I'd visit burgins perfumery, it has insane choice and was once visited by the queen! The shambles are an interesting collection of shops and stalls, some of the most interesting are in the side streets just off the small squares where the stalls are so be sure to wander around off the beaten path!

I'll stop there since I'm rambling. I understand you will have limited time, but York is an excellent place to visite and all the activities you have earmarked are excellent so you can't go wrong :) good luck with your trip!

^^^ WOW! That all sounds amazing... If it were I, I'd definitely hit up the chocolate places! :rotfl:

And how cool is it that there is a Yak & Yeti!!!???!!!??!!!???!??! If you see it you MUST take a photo, even if you don't eat there!!

this just sounds like a dream trip! I am drooling over everything! E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G
there is not one that stands out because it is ALL just beautiful!!!

Hello, just thought I'd check your pre trip report to see if you were going round my neck of the woods, and saw York :) I feel I might be able to give some pointers on things there, since I was there today after all :)

I might recommend a little tea/cupcake shop called crumbs cupcakery, it's near the Minster (Google Earth should get you there) and does excellent British tea and cake should you arrive in the afternoon, alternatively a Belgian style patisserie and cafe known as patisserie Valerie has two branches in York, we ate there today and it was delicious for pastries, and small snacks. You have a wide choice of evening meal in York from fish and chips to Nepalese (a place called the yak and yeti would you believe, no relation to the one in animal kingdom I think though :) ).

In addition, if history should take your fancy (I know it's not for everyone) there is an excellent (and not too large) museum in the park near Marygate, the park is called the museum gardens oddly enough. They also have excellent ruins of an abbey and a nice little hospitium (a type of old inn or hospital, my cousin was married there last year.) very charming sights to see. There is also an unassuming octagonal tower in the corner of the park that actually dates from Roman times (you'll see more Roman history under the Minster, I'd pay the extra to see that section if you can.) they are restoring the Minster at the minute and have some interesting stone masonry stuff outside one end, I think it might still be there next year, they are being careful about the restoration obviously :)

If you are a chocolate lover there is an excellent chain of high class chocolatiers called hotel chocolat, one is located in the middle of York. They aren't cheap but they are fantastic quality. There is also a chocolate museum in the middle of York, but I've never been in so I can't speak for its quality. Oh, and if you are wondering why it's there, York used to be home to the rowntree family of candy manufacturers, a very popular brand over here since Victorian times. My father once worked near their old factory in fact.

If you should seek any unusual perfume (though don't expect it to be cheap in comparison to the states) I'd visit burgins perfumery, it has insane choice and was once visited by the queen! The shambles are an interesting collection of shops and stalls, some of the most interesting are in the side streets just off the small squares where the stalls are so be sure to wander around off the beaten path!

I'll stop there since I'm rambling. I understand you will have limited time, but York is an excellent place to visite and all the activities you have earmarked are excellent so you can't go wrong :) good luck with your trip!

THANK YOU so much!!! This is amazing information. I love getting info from an insider. I will definitely be saving all of this to my trip binder to keep in mind when we are there. Again, thank you so much! And honestly, the more information the better. We do have limited time but I love going into a place knowing everything I can! Again, thank you so much!!

^^^ WOW! That all sounds amazing... If it were I, I'd definitely hit up the chocolate places! :rotfl:

And how cool is it that there is a Yak & Yeti!!!???!!!??!!!???!??! If you see it you MUST take a photo, even if you don't eat there!!

I know! We will be looking into all of these places! Sounds awesome.

this just sounds like a dream trip! I am drooling over everything! E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G
there is not one that stands out because it is ALL just beautiful!!!

It really is going to be a dream trip. I feel the same way. Every time someone asks me what I am most excited about I will say... well this but maybe this but really all of this..

This weekend was so much fun. Really, way too hot. But a lot of fun!
Friday we got to see something pretty cool.
I don't know how many of you have ever heard of the Berlin Candy Bomber. Basically, his name is Gail Halvorsen. He was born here in Salt Lake City, Utah. He became a pilot and was in World War 2.
Here is a little blurb about him:

"During the Berlin Airlift, Gail Halverson flew one of the innumerable C-54 cargo aircraft ferrying supplies into Berlin, then deep within the Soviet sector of control in Germany. On his days off, he went sightseeing in Berlin and shot film on his personal handheld movie camera. One on such visit, he saw thirty children lined up behind a fence at Tempelhof airport, the main landing site for the airlift. He went to meet them and noticed these kids had nothing without the aid of the US air force. He looked into his pocket and took out some candy to give to the kids who hadn’t had any sweets for years. He realized that he did not have enough candy for thirty but gave to the kids anyway; they didn’t fight for it, instead they let the ones who got it keep it. Halverson thought for a moment and decided that he would drop candy out of his C-54. The kids asked how they would know what plane was his. He replied, "I’ll wiggle my wings." This led to his nickname among the Berliners: "Onkel Wackelflügel" or "Uncle Wiggly Wings."

When Halverson got back to his air force base he used his ration to get candy, and also asked his friends to contribute. The next step was to get some type of parachute since they could not use full size parachutes and of course he didn’t want to hurt the kids. They decided to use their extra clothes and handkerchiefs. In the morning when they would do their regular supply drops they also dropped three boxes of candy attached to handkerchiefs. They would do these drops once per a week; the children were very happy and began sending the parachutes back along with letters and artwork. Their popularity was increasing and then the commanding officer heard about it. Gail was called to his office thinking he was in trouble but the commander was instead proud.

Ultimately, word reached the commander of the airlift, Lieutenant General William H. Tunner, who approved of it and ordered it expanded into Operation "Little Vittles," a play on the overall airlift's name of Operation Vittles. As news of Operation Little Vittles reached the United States, children all over the US began contributing candy, with candy-makers following suit shortly thereafter. Public support led to donations which enabled Halvorsen and his crew to drop 850 pounds of candy. By the end of the airlift, around 25 plane crews had dropped 23 tons of chocolate, chewing gum, and other candies over various places in Berlin. The National Confectioners Association donated large amounts to the effort, and American school children cooperated in attaching the candies to parachutes.

With the groundswell of support, Little Vittles pilots, of which Halverson was now one of many, were dropping candy every other day. Children all over Berlin had sweets, and more and more artwork was getting sent back with kind letters attached to them. The American candy bombers became known as the Rosinenbomber (Raisin Bombers), but Halvorsen himself became known by many nicknames to the children of Berlin, including his original moniker of "Uncle Wiggly Wings," as well as "The Chocolate Uncle" and "The Chocolate Flier."
IMG_9931.JPG
IMG_9930.JPG

So, Gail is now 94 years old. When we found out that he was going to do a candy drop about 30 minutes away from us, we really wanted to go. The city that he was doing it in had no idea how big the event was going to get so as word spread they started having extra rules. They said that only children ages 6-12 would be able to catch the parachutes with candy in them. So that meant Maddy wouldn't be able to. We also knew that there were going to be THOUSANDS of people at this small park based on the comments and RSVP's on the event's facebook page.
We talked about it and decided we didn't want to deal with the crowds and the inevitable craziness that would happen.
But we still wanted to be a part of this historic event and be able to see this man fly. I mean, at his age, there is really no telling how much longer he will be able to do this.
Doug works just a few minutes away from the park so we decided to go to his office. We went to the top floor and sat in a cozy little lobby area that had large windows facing the park.
I was just hoping we would get to see him well enough from here.
Pretty soon we heard loud plane sounds and he flew right past us.
IMG_9895.JPG
We couldn't see the actual candy drop but we got to see him flying around a few times! That was exciting. And then when we left, we were driving toward the freeway and he flew RIGHT OVER our car. I tried to get a picture but the sun made it too bright to show up. I forgot my handy new camera so it was just phone pictures.

It was such a cool thing to be able to witness.

Then the fourth we spent all day with Doug's sister and her family with some other family at different parts of the day.
They live just up the street from us so we went over to their house for all of the fun neighborhood activities.
First there was a huge breakfast that one of the neighbors does every year:
IMG_9932.JPG
IMG_9943.JPG
IMG_9950.JPG
IMG_9955.JPG
(that's Doug's sister Wendy with her darling little baby Claire on her lap and her husband Mischael on the right. )

IMG_9985.JPG

IMG_9962.JPG
IMG_9968.JPG
IMG_9969.JPG
There was even someone there doing balloon animals!

Then we walked back over to Wendy and Mischael's place. Along the way we spotted this cutie..
IMG_9979.JPG
Then there was a neighborhood parade. The girls didn't do too much to decorate their bikes- we just added some beads and balloons. But they really loved being in a parade!

IMG_9991.JPG
IMG_9999.JPG
(that is two of my sister in laws in the car. First Wendy on the left is Doug's sister and Callie on the right is married to Doug's brother Mark- we live in their basement apartment.)

IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG

At the end of the route they got popsicles.
IMG_0045.JPG
They really went all out for this little parade. We even had a marching band. Partway through another deer ran right across the road in the middle of everyone. I really wish I would have got it on film but I didn't.

The rest of the real life update:
After the parade we took a rest time at our own house and then went back over to Wendy and Mischael's for some water fun with them and Mischael's family. And to celebrate Claire's first birthday that is coming up this week.

DSC_0262.JPG
DSC_0269.JPG
DSC_0270.JPG
DSC_0290.JPG

Mischael's niece and Abi are close to the same age and got along really well so they love hanging out. And Mischael is a really good sport- letting all of the kids get him completely soaked.

DSC_0310.JPG
DSC_0311.JPG
DSC_0315.JPG
DSC_0335.JPG

I played around with the camera to get some funky shots. They are weird but I like them.

DSC_0377.JPG
DSC_0380.JPG

DSC_0388.JPG
DSC_0399.JPG
After our BBQ we went back to our house and did fireworks. We only got a small package at Target this year. Callie's brother and his family were visiting. The adults didn't come out but Callie's 5 nephews did. They had a blast helping Doug light all the fireworks.

DSC_0421.JPG
DSC_0425.JPG
Soon after, we got baths and read for an hour and went to sleep!
We were all exhausted!

That is sooooo cool about Uncle Wiggly Wings!! I've never heard that story!!

Bummer you didn't get to participate in the actual candy drop, but still neat to see the flyover!!

Your 4th looks so fun!! I wish we had more traditions for our 4th festivities, but it's hard bc the hubs always has to work...

That is sooooo cool about Uncle Wiggly Wings!! I've never heard that story!!

Bummer you didn't get to participate in the actual candy drop, but still neat to see the flyover!!

Your 4th looks so fun!! I wish we had more traditions for our 4th festivities, but it's hard bc the hubs always has to work...

Yeah I would have loved to have watched the parachutes fall! But this definitely worked out best for us.
It was a fun 4th. Usually we go to big fireworks but this year I really liked the change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter