MVMCP - Tips, Tricks, Secrets newbies should know...

Sweety_tweety

Mouseketeer
List your best tip, trick, or secret you think people would like to know about MVMCP.

I thought the MNSSHP thread was a great idea, so I thought I would start one for MVMCP. I am a newbie so I really don't have anything to add, but I am looking forward to all the tips! :santa:

I'll start:
• Plan to arrive very early for Mickey's 'Twas the Night Before Christmas show or you won't get a seat. We were in line at least 30 minutes early and almost did not get a seat.
• If you can do the late parade it will be a lot less crowded than the early parade.
• Lines for rides will be short during the parades.
• Even if the daytime temps are warm the evenings can be pretty cool. You may want to check a weather website before you leave home to better plan what clothes to pack. I have been VERY happy to have a winter jacket, hat and mittens some years (and I am used to Minnesota cold!) A blanket is great for sitting on cold curbs or covering up.
• Get there by 4:00 PM to have the maximum amount of time. If you are using tickets rather than an AP, the day of MVMCP may be a day you can do things that don't require a park ticket, like visiting resorts to see decorations or going to DTD.
• It is fun to wear a special hat or sweatshirt or other Disney Christmas apparel/jewelry.
• I think it is wise to eat a late lunch/early dinner so you don't waste time during the party. If you want to sit and eat you REALLY need an ADR.
• Don't miss the marching tin soldiers in the parade. IMHO they are worth the price of admission.

Great tips from PP! I'll echo planning for cooler temps. We went 12/7/08 and it was in the 30s!

I'll add on...

- Plan your day to stay to be able to stay to the end of the party. Things really empty out in that last hour or so and you can do a lot of rides/attractions with very minimal waits.

- There aren't a lot of dining options once the party starts, so you might want be sure to plan to eat beforehand.... or fill up on free cocoa and cookies! :santa:

I'll start:
• Plan to arrive very early for Mickey's 'Twas the Night Before Christmas show or you won't get a seat. We were in line at least 30 minutes early and almost did not get a seat.

Sadly, since they tore down the Galaxy Theater, Twas is no more. :( I worked on that show in 2006 and it's very sad that it's no longer! :sad2:

Great tips from PP! I'll echo planning for cooler temps. We went 12/7/08 and it was in the 30s!

I'll add on...

- Plan your day to stay to be able to stay to the end of the party. Things really empty out in that last hour or so and you can do a lot of rides/attractions with very minimal waits.

- There aren't a lot of dining options once the party starts, so you might want be sure to plan to eat beforehand.... or fill up on free cocoa and cookies! :santa:

Yes, I agree, the last couple years at least, we were very glad to have our sweatshirts and winter coats for sure, it was really cold, especially last year, lol!

One thing among many that we love about MVMCP is that we've always experienced easy access to rides with little to no lines for most of the rides! Especially as the night goes on and families with small kids start fizzling out and heading back to their rooms. There is a limit to the number of tickets they sell so there's no way it could be crowded as it is during the day. I thought it was about 5000, but really don't remember, that's a guess that could be way off.

I do have a suggestion for a fun dinner while still enjoying the Xmas party. We arrive about 4 pm and so in a few hours we are hungry for dinner usually. We love Cosmic Rays, they have great burgers, lol, so we plan to eat there. The atmospere is really a bit festive in there, too. We get our food and find a table, preferably outside, or inside, where we have a good view of the castle. We love to just watch the beautiful castle with the icicle lights and the changing colors, and people watch, too, lol! Then DD19 loves to go have a bit of fun at the Xmas dance party and dance with the characters for a few songs. She loved dancing with Goofy last year! It gives us a nice break while we are watching that beautiful castle, talking about what we've done and rechecking our plans for the rest of the night and then having fun with the characters! :santa:

Sadly, since they tore down the Galaxy Theater, Twas is no more. :( I worked on that show in 2006 and it's very sad that it's no longer! :sad2:

Hmmm, when did they tear it down? It was there last Nov when we went and I thought that the show was there, too.

Sadly, since they tore down the Galaxy Theater, Twas is no more. I worked on that show in 2006 and it's very sad that it's no longer!

So sad. I love that show. I suppose they could do it on that new Tomorrowland stage but then there is no place to sit. Sad, sad, sad. :sad1:

How far inadvance do you rec getting tickets for the parties in early Dec?

How far inadvance do you rec getting tickets for the parties in early Dec?

They probably won't sell out until the date gets quite close (if at all with this economy), but early is better than too late if you know you want to go. If they offer Disney Visa discounts on given nights, those may sell out faster. Friday/weekend nights will sell out faster (and be more crowded) than mid-week nights.

My tip is to avoid the general crowd pattern. At one point we hit the crowd and it was definitely concentrated in one spot! Sorry I can't be more specific, but if you find yourself in a crowd - move to another area.

I also agree that it's good if you have the energy to pack a lot into the party. During the day - take it easy. Even though we often tour from 9am to midnight - I was glad we only went for a little outlet mall shopping the day of MVMCP.

Again, this always applies: eat at off times. We had a snack at 3:30pm. We got our cookies at like 7pm whenthey first put them out - no line. We ate our dinner at like 8 or 9pm - also no line. We didn't really plan it that way, but we missed normal lunch hours (shopping) and then didn't get over to Cosmic Ray's until that late.

Thanks everyone! Keep the tips coming!

My general plan is to go to MK early that morning (Dec. 10th) get DD's birthday fun card, tour a few hotels then take it easy at the resort until 4ish.

I just can't decide where to eat. It's DD's 4th birthday and I was orginally just thinking cosmic rays, but then I thought about making an ADR at Tony's (if I can get one). Any suggestions? Could we see the parade while dining at tony's?

Thanks everyone! Keep the tips coming!

My general plan is to go to MK early that morning (Dec. 10th) get DD's birthday fun card, tour a few hotels then take it easy at the resort until 4ish.

I just can't decide where to eat. It's DD's 4th birthday and I was orginally just thinking cosmic rays, but then I thought about making an ADR at Tony's (if I can get one). Any suggestions? Could we see the parade while dining at tony's?

If you can get an early ADR at LTT that's a great place to start your party. I'm sure it will be a little different for us this year without characters, but it's so festive in there we just love it. Take advantage of entering the park at 4:00. We usually get quite a bit done prior to the party and then we can concentrate on the shows.

I can't echo enough about taking it easy the day of the party. If you can last the whole party you'll see some very short lines for rides late in the evening. Some people could make this their MK day if they planned appropriately. We love the second parade and all the ride time following it.

Good luck!!!

Bumping!

I'll be a first timer at MVMCP this year, so I'm looking for all the tips & tricks I can find. Can't wait!!

If you can get an early ADR at LTT that's a great place to start your party. I'm sure it will be a little different for us this year without characters, but it's so festive in there we just love it. Take advantage of entering the park at 4:00. We usually get quite a bit done prior to the party and then we can concentrate on the shows.

I can't echo enough about taking it easy the day of the party. If you can last the whole party you'll see some very short lines for rides late in the evening. Some people could make this their MK day if they planned appropriately. We love the second parade and all the ride time following it.

Good luck!!!

Thanks! I will try for LTT. :)The mixed reviews of TOny's made me nervous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter